Reload this Page >

I think I pulled my back..

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-24-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past week, I've had what felt like a knot in my back.. I've tried stretching it out and it has just persisted.. Well now all of the sudden, it feels like a giant pain... I'm not sure if it gave out, but it feels like someone stuck a knife in it...Unforunately, I'm stuck at the office for another 3 hours.. Any suggestions on what to do about it?
Old 03-24-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where at in your back? If it's your lower back it could be the sciatic nerve

Last edited by Minor Threat; 03-24-06 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-24-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

more like middle/upper.. i'm only 28.. i was just at the dr on wed, but didn;t think to ask about it
Old 03-24-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need to eat, so...
Old 03-24-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
You need to eat, so...

huh?
Old 03-24-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hmm...check here - I got nothing.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...pperback1.html
Old 03-24-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Where at in your back? If it's your lower back it could be the sciatic nerve
that would be more in his ass and down one leg or the other.

mid back could just be a muscle spasm. probably is if it's been tight for a few days. having recently suffered a herniated disc, I can say that if that was it - you would fucking know, because you wouldn't be typing here, you'd be on the floor trying not to pass out from the pain.

If it's a spasm, take some ibruprofen or Aleve - not tylenol or aspirin - and try putting a tennis ball against a chair and slowly press it into the spot that hurts....not a lot...it may hurt more initially, but if you can let it sit a bit, the pressure should relieve it.

is it kind of near your shoulder blades? that's primarily due to poor posture and/or loads of computer viewing time. your entire back is all interconnected though, so a million things can cause a muscle pull back there. the most bizzare part of my physical therapy are the times where they are trying do muscle releases in my butt to relieve the sciatic pain only to cause a spasm in my shoulder blade.

You can also try laying on your stomach and doing a particular stretch that is good for your spine: bring your elbows as close as you can so all your weight is on them - kind of by your nipples - and then lift your torso up *WITH YOUR ARMS* similar to a kind of up dog yoga pose. hold it for 3 seconds and repeat ten times. you want to leave your lower body from belly button down on the floor though, don't lift higher than that.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 03-24-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-24-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brizz
that would be more in his ass and down one leg or the other.

mid back could just be a muscle spasm. probably is if it's been tight for a few days. having recently suffered a herniated disc, I can say that if that was it - you would fucking know, because you wouldn't be typing here, you'd be on the floor trying not to pass out from the pain.

If it's a spasm, take some ibruprofen or Aleve - not tylenol or aspirin - and try putting a tennis ball against a chair and slowly press it into the spot that hurts....not a lot...it may hurt more, but if you can let it sit a bit, the pressure should relieve it.

thanks brizz (and everyone else).. i've actually been trying the tennis ball thing (but with my rolled up jacket) and it helps a little... I'll try popping some ibuprofen...Once I get home, I'll try a hot shower and I think I have some vicodin left over from my wisdom teeth...

I'm really concerned because tomorrow I have to do manual labor at 1:00 pm and can't back (no pun intended) out of it
Old 03-24-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I'm really concerned because tomorrow I have to do manual labor at 1:00 pm and can't back (no pun intended) out of it
You didn't agree to help somebody move did ya?
Old 03-24-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Phil L.
You didn't agree to help somebody move did ya?

no.. I have a part time job lugging cables
Old 03-24-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh ok, cause there is nothing worse then some 'friend' hitting you up with that fateful question..."what are you doing next saturday?"
Old 03-24-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
You need to eat, so...
...you can take your back pill.

Sorry, I always forget that people don't quote christmas vacation as much as I do.
Old 03-24-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if you ask real nice, BigDaddy can give you a nice massage.
Old 03-24-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whatever you do when you get home, do not put heat on the area... instead, use ice for 10 minutes, off for 10 and so on. Try NOT to stretch this out because it sounds to me like the problem is that you've already stretched the muscle out (pulled it) and it's reacting by overcompensating and contracting, and not in a good way. Take some Ibuprofen and relax as much as you can tonight.

Take some Ibuprofen again in the morning or before you head to your other job. If you need more help or have more questions, please email me. I'm a massage therapist. I can give you more advice. But yeah, it's totaly not sciatica... but sounds ust like a really strained muscle. It could take days to feel better, and it could get worse before it gets better. Do you know any friends that can give you a good massage tonight? Know any CMT's that would like to help you out?
Old 03-24-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Maybe if you ask real nice, BigDaddy can give you a nice massage.

i think you live closer to me
Old 03-24-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Whatever you do when you get home, do not put heat on the area... instead, use ice for 10 minutes, off for 10 and so on. Try NOT to stretch this out because it sounds to me like the problem is that you've already stretched the muscle out (pulled it) and it's reacting by overcompensating and contracting, and not in a good way. Take some Ibuprofen and relax as much as you can tonight.

Take some Ibuprofen again in the morning or before you head to your other job. If you need more help or have more questions, please email me. I'm a massage therapist. I can give you more advice. But yeah, it's totaly not sciatica... but sounds ust like a really strained muscle. It could take days to feel better, and it could get worse before it gets better. Do you know any friends that can give you a good massage tonight? Know any CMT's that would like to help you out?

Thanks for the advice.. I don't know anybody to give me a massage .. What's a CMT?
Old 03-24-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...so push it back.