Reload this Page >

Pole Dancing as Exercise? Really?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-06, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever heard of this? There has been an ad in the Pittsburgh City Paper the last two weeks for a new pole dancing exercise studio called "Fitness With A Twist".

They can't be serious, can they? I mean, it kind of sounds hot, does it really constitute exercise?

Strange indeed...
Old 03-23-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Carmen Electra can do Aerobic Striptease, then why not?
Old 03-23-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only if the chick is hot, I hope.
Old 03-23-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Basically, it's just a thin excuse for women to pretend to be strippers without actually having to go home at night with 8 different batches of DNA on their thighs. It's the same deal with the Aerobic strip tease. Soon there'll be Cardio Hooking and Low Carb Lap Dancing.

D
Old 03-24-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Derrich
Basically, it's just a thin excuse for women to pretend to be strippers without actually having to go home at night with 8 different batches of DNA on their thighs. It's the same deal with the Aerobic strip tease. Soon there'll be Cardio Hooking and Low Carb Lap Dancing.

D
I agree and I can't freaking wait.
Old 03-24-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look up Sheila Kelly's S Factor and you'll see that this is quite the fad gaining mainstream support (Oprah and other talk shows).
Old 03-24-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What passes as exercise now a days is unbelievable...Oh well, as shallow as it sounds, as long as they are hot, let them hit the pole.
Old 03-24-06, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Look up Sheila Kelly's S Factor and you'll see that this is quite the fad gaining mainstream support (Oprah and other talk shows).
Huh, I actually recognize her. Can't think of from where though. I guess this is more widespread than I thought. I don't think it's existed in Pittsburgh until now though.
Old 03-24-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich
It's the same deal with the Aerobic strip tease. Soon there'll be Cardio Hooking and Low Carb Lap Dancing.

D
I'm going to ask you not to make me choke on my morning coffee.
Old 03-24-06, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sheila Kelly was a regular in L.A. Law, and her husband is Richard Schiff, who plays Toby Ziegler in The West Wing.Schiff has gone on record as being very supportive of his wife's exercise regimen.
Old 03-24-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://sfactor.com/store/pole.gif
Old 03-24-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a coworker that his wife bought him a stripper pole for his birthday. She practices a few times a week and he claims its very hot.
Old 03-24-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I've got a coworker that his wife bought him a stripper pole for his birthday. She practices a few times a week and he claims its very hot.
It's on my Christmas list now.
Old 03-24-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
I agree and I can't freaking wait.
Effer. There goes what my contribution to the thread was going to be.
Old 03-24-06, 12:56 PM

You're damn right it's exercise. My eyes get a good workout when I watch'em.
Old 03-24-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sheila Kelly was last seen on The Sopranos (2nd episode for this new season).
Old 03-24-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I read where Jennifer Aniston did (or maybe still does) it.

Now that I would like to see!
Old 03-27-06, 04:08 PM
Banned

I wonder what the weight limit is on those poles. There has to be a point where they'll just rip out of the ground.
Old 03-27-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pole dancing class perks up exercise
Ellis Henican

February 5, 2006

Sheila Kelley shot a look across the lunch table that could have made her beet salad blush.

"It's not just pole dancing," she warned me in no uncertain terms.

"In a two-hour class, half-an-hour is on the pole," she said. "There's an hour-and-a-half of other incredible stuff. Butt circles. Hip swings. All these sexuality-embracing, boundary-breaking movements that teach a woman how to own her own body again. Women's bodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Our bodies are glorious -- if we'll only let them out of the straitjackets they've been living in."

OK.

"The way I like to describe it is fitness for women that has a pole," Kelley went on, her brief scold already melted, replaced by a tone I can only describe as womanly enthusiasm. "Oh, yeah, it comes out of stripping, and it has a pole. And the pole is very important. But men always want to focus on that pole."

Well, yeah!

When most guys hear about a new women's-fitness movement that is modeled on the gyrations of strippers, it's probably inevitable the fellows won't focus first on the feminist-empowerment angle.

And that's all right, Kelley said. But this really isn't about the guys. Women can get a life-changing workout making friends with their own inner stripper -- and also learn some nifty tricks they can bring back home.

"This is not a performance," she said. "It's a way for women to discover their own shape and movement. The feeling inside the classes is about being supportive."

Kelley comes from Pittsburgh, studied at NYU and moved to California to act. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, actor Richard Schiff, who plays liberal White House staffer Toby Ziegler on "The West Wing." They have two young children, a boy and a girl.

Kelley is one of those women in Hollywood who is almost always described as sultry. She has dark hair, killer posture and a choice of vocabulary that can't be called prudish.

She's had recurring roles in "L.A. Law" and "ER." Her film work includes producing, co-writing and acting in the film "Dancing at the Blue Iguana," a gritty depiction of life in an L.A. strip joint. It also featured Darryl Hannah, Sandra Oh and Jennifer Tilly -- and gave Kelley her first up-close encounter with the world of back-room lap-dances and dollar bills in garter belts.

Of course, she had to learn her moves -- a blending of gymnastics, ballet, yoga and some old-fashioned cardio-pumping bump-and-grind. When the film was over, she found that part hard to give up. Pretty soon, she was installing a pole in her husband's home office -- and showing her runway moves to the other preschool moms.

That grew into "Sheila Kelley's S Factor," a stripping-based exercise studio for women in L.A. Private and group classes. Seven levels of expertise marked by seven colored G-strings, the S Factor's campy take on karate belts. A new fitness trend was launched.

The S, Kelley says, doesn't just stand for Sheila or striptease. It represents the curve of the female spine. "Face it," she said, "women are shaped differently from men. Shake those hips. Squeeze that butt. Move like you mean it."

Word spread quickly. Two appearances on "Oprah" didn't hurt. Neither did Kelley's celebrity-studded clientele. Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Aniston and Melanie Griffith have all reportedly swung from Kelley's famous pole.

"But really," she said, "it's everyone. Women of all fitness levels. Professional women. Young moms. We have two of Hef's blondes from the Playboy mansion. But we have a 69-year-old woman hanging upside-down by her thighs."

There are five S Factor studios in California now. And Kelley is in New York this weekend, meeting people for lunch and opening her first East Coast outpost at 235 W. 23rd St. in Chelsea. For reasons she's not quite sure of, Kelley said, more than one-quarter of her new students are coming in from Long Island.

"It really is more than a workout," she said. "It's mental and emotional and physical all at once. See how you fall into your hips, how you hold your bust out to the world, how you walk with no more apology. You're a kid and a goddess all at once."

And then there is the sex.

"I can't deny it," Sheila Kelley said, barely picking at her gnocchi now. "Your sexuality changes. You are able to move in lots and lots and lots of different ways. That's not the real reason I do the classes. But definitely, you'll notice a difference in the lovemaking department. Your body is more agile, more adaptable, a little wiser too."

Wilder or wiser?

"Wilder and wiser," she said. "They come together sometimes, you know."
Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc
Old 03-27-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
But we have a 69-year-old woman hanging upside-down by her thighs.
Sold.
Old 05-22-06, 12:01 PM
Banned

Sheila Kelley was on Conan O'Brien Friday night advertising her S-Factor workout. Conan had a blast with it. She actually got him to try a few moves on a pole and I was almost in tears laughing at his attempts.

she's got a nice rack too!

Old 05-22-06, 02:56 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Great pics but the wrong person is on the pole in them.