Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have kids taking karate or themselves?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son, 4 1/2, has asked about taking karate recently so we took him to class tuesday night and again tonight. He was very interested and paid attention for the whole hour both times. I was worried he was going to be a disctraction for the others but the instructor said he did very good.

So who else has kids in karate?
Old 03-23-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My entire family are karateka. We practice Isshin-ryu. 4 1/2 is kind of young to start. 7 is the youngest age kids can start in our dojo. Just be sure you don't have to sign any contracts. That's a sign that you've entered a McDojo.

My kids were 7 and10 when they started. Power Rangers was what sparked interest in my 7 year old. He practically shit himself when he got to meet Jason Frank at a tournament.
Old 03-23-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No contracts here. The instructor that runs the dojo is a 27 year vet and also instructs the local police academy and colleges. He does two nights a week here (tues and thurs) and two nights a week in the neighboring town (mon and wed).

His age was a concern and he said they normally don't take them till they're 5 but he always wants to let them give it a shot. There is one other youngin' in the class (be 5 in May) and they were partners the last two classes.

I'll give him a month and see how it goes. He said if after that he's not interested wait a year or so and try again.
Old 03-23-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

How good of exercise are typical sessions at a dojo (in general, I know different styles have different exertions)? I haven't taken any classes since I was young.
Old 03-23-06, 08:47 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you found a good instructor, kantonburg. Let your son go for awhile and see if he maintains his interest, and his focus.
Old 03-23-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Katonberg, like Bandoman said, it does sound like you found a good one.

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
How good of exercise are typical sessions at a dojo (in general, I know different styles have different exertions)? I haven't taken any classes since I was young.
The only nights I don't come home with a soaking wet gi is when we work self defense the entire night. Even then I get a good workout "warming up". We usually do 15-20 minutes of stretching and callisthenics. The most tiring nights are when we work kata (forms). Our classes are around 2 hours.
Old 03-23-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by garolo
The only nights I don't come home with a soaking wet gi is when we work self defense the entire night. Even then I get a good workout "warming up". We usually do 15-20 minutes of stretching and callisthenics. The most tiring nights are when we work kata (forms). Our classes are around 2 hours.
Wow. Sounds great.
Old 03-23-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Sounds like you found a good instructor, kantonburg. Let your son go for awhile and see if he maintains his interest, and his focus.
Thanks Bandoman. Thats exactly my thoughts as well. He may go a month or two and just lose interest.

I get a good feeling from Steve. He's a very respected guy in our community and the assurance from a few other parents waiting tonight telling me how he's patient with the smaller kids. He's a very firm instructor and demands attention, which I totally agree with, but he is very positive when they do something right. He makes sure it's noticed. I can't help but to feel so proud when he was doing his first kicks tonight and he had the biggest grin on his face when the instructor congratulated him on a very good job.
Old 03-23-06, 09:46 PM

My 4 year old (he'll be 5 in May) son has been going to a local karate place and he loves it

http://www.samuraiaction.com

Master Michi Yamato was part of
the original Power Rangers
stunt team in Japan. He brought
his skills to America and
choreographed action for over 100
episodes movies & TV.
Old 03-23-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

This is a picture of me in my prime

I actually took it in college. As a result of the ominous threat of the dreaded "purple nerple" in high school, my defensive skills were amazing. I have almost no offensive skill, however. I am Rope-a-Dope.
Old 03-23-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
This is a picture of me in my prime

I actually took it in college. As a result of the ominous threat of the dreaded "purple nerple" in high school, my defensive skills were amazing. I have almost no offensive skill, however. I am Rope-a-Dope.
What are you? a clear belt?
Old 03-23-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My kids both showed an interest once. I took them to a few classes. At that time my daughter was 8, my son 6 (I think). Anyway, she was totally into it, he however, wasn't. I'd love to get them back into it though. I think it teaches great discipline among other things. Very positive sportactivity to get the kids involved in.

On the other hand, my brother who is 2 years older than me was in karate for as long as I can remember. He was an ass. He would karate chop my ass any chance he got. I hated him.

My uncle teaches out in Long Beach, don't remember what though. All I remember is when I was 9 years old, he was an 8th degree black belt - does that sound right? Apparently I don't know my karate stuff! I bow down to you!
Old 03-23-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kids taking themselves?

Excuse me, sir, your participle is dangling.
Old 03-24-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I signed my Daughter up at age 7,she`s now 13 and a brown belt.she went through her,i want to quit Karate and take Dance trips,but i pushed her through.(no regrets)
one of the most Important things to watch for is schools that push belts.iv heard stories of kids becoming black belts in 3 years..

when she goes off to college,i might just might sleep a tad bit better.

im very proud of all the hard work she puts in to it.

My daughters in white.

after that kick to the mid section.

Last edited by tommy28; 03-24-06 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 08:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

kvrdave is so hot.
Old 03-24-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

kvrdave is so hot.
Yeah but that Magnum moustache has got to go.

But Dave still can't tell a kukri from a Turkish kopis.
Old 03-24-06, 08:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Actually, that's a pic of me from about 20 years ago, and the mustache is long gone. Kudos on recognizing the kukri, most people have no idea what that is.
Old 03-24-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish there was a picture of freddie mercury choking you
Old 03-24-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, that's a pic of me from about 20 years ago, and the mustache is long gone. Kudos on recognizing the kukri, most people have no idea what that is.
Yeah, I knew that was you. I've been around the otter water cooler long enough. Who else but a bando man would be holding a kukri?

There is a connection between Bando and Isshin-Ryu. One of the first generation Isshin-ryu students was also a practitioner and proponant of American Bando. I like to read about the history of my art which led me down a side path to yours.
Old 03-24-06, 09:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by garolo
There is a connection between Bando and Isshin-Ryu. One of the first generation Isshin-ryu students was also a practitioner and proponant of American Bando. I like to read about the history of my art which led me down a side path to yours.
I know, there were a number of people who studied both Bando and Isshin-Ryu. I'm not sure how much cross-training is done today, I haven't been active for a few years.
Old 03-24-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Are we still trying to say that that is a picture of Bando instead of me? That's older than the Tila deal.
Old 03-24-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My son started kempo karate back in October and he LOVES it. It's 2 nights a week plus Saturday morning (where they practice grappling and have mini-tournaments). He's also joined the demo team which goes around to different schools for presentations - this adds an extra Friday night session every other week. I don't mind the time it takes at all since he enjoys it so much. He did have to sacrifice baseball this year because he had a coach that was a dick - he outright told us that my son wouldn't play much since he had to miss one practice a week due to karate.

He tests for his orange belt soon and he is psyched about it.
Old 03-24-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
Kids taking themselves?

Excuse me, sir, your participle is dangling.
Perhaps it is, or maybe he's got the kind of kids that get mad, go to a mirror, and snarl into it saying "You think I can take me?"
Old 03-24-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Are we still trying to say that that is a picture of Bando instead of me? That's older than the Tila deal.
We know it can't be you since you would not be caught dead wearing New Balance.
Old 03-24-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

That's why I had my hairpiece on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.