Reload this Page >

Need some advice with immigration situation

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-06, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically, i'm in a tough immigration situation right now, and just wanted some advice, since a lot of other people i've talked to haven't really been able to help.

I moved to the US from Canada when I was just a kid, and my parents and I were Canadian Citizens. Flash forward to when i'm 23 and I have no legal status in the States, because my parents were under a business Visa and I was covered under them until I was 21. The INS then sends a letter saying I have to return to Canada, because I have no legal right to stay in the states.

A friend of mine is currently trying to help me out because he owns a business, so I just had a few questions for anyone that's been through this before: how long of a process is it to become sponsored to live in the states through a green card, and how expensive is it? Canada's great and all but I left so much behind in the States. I was also much more comfortable living there.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-23-06, 08:41 AM
Suspended

j/k

Start here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-246.htm

then:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864.htm

Last edited by Forum Troll; 03-23-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like someone needs to update their "Location:", exile-boy.
Old 03-23-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just be thankful you can't be drafted.
Old 03-23-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yet another immigrant in southern California taking precious American jobs.

(Talk to an immigration lawyer).
Old 03-23-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Truth, Justice and the AMERICAN Way?
Old 03-23-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Truth, Justice and the AMERICAN Way?
Superman was actually created by Canadians. Metropolis was based around Toronto.
Old 03-23-06, 07:54 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So your parents are still here? or just you?

The process if you get in will take about 5 years for you to get the citizenship.
All you need is a green card, and if the employer can sponsor you it's easier.

However I'm pretty sure all the h1-b visas are already used up for this year.
I'd see if Saoirse responds to this thread, he's our most recent immigrant with his wife.
Old 03-23-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude... just stay illegally.

First, you have more rights than citizens (free schooling, free healthcare, hell you can murder someone and have a good chance of getting away with it!).

Secondly, Bush is going to give you amnesty anyways (he can't just give it to mexicans, that would be unfair to all the other illegal immigrants), so why bother going through the hoops and spending the money to immigrate legally?
Old 03-23-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Dude... just stay illegally.

First, you have more rights than citizens (free schooling, free healthcare, hell you can murder someone and have a good chance of getting away with it!).

Secondly, Bush is going to give you amnesty anyways (he can't just give it to mexicans, that would be unfair to all the other illegal immigrants), so why bother going through the hoops and spending the money to immigrate legally?
Not the political forum..........

Btw....talk to an immigration lawyer.

-p
Old 03-23-06, 09:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't you want to live in Canada?

It's closer to your Fortress of Solitude, isn't it?
Old 03-23-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fortress of Solitude > So Cal

At least the pricing is more managable in the F.o.S.

-p
Old 03-23-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some useful info:

As a Canadian, you are entitled to a TN visa which allows you to work in certain professions. There is a big list of professions covered under the visa (eg. Computer analyst, architect, librarian, accountant, the list goes on). If you are lucky enough to be in one of these professions and can get a letter of employment from your employer, just present yourself to the US Border with your documents and apply for the TN visa. I don't know how your impending INS case will affect your application, but that's what you talk to a lawyer about.

More info here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html

Edit: There is also something called a Diversity Lottery. Every year, 55000 ppl are given green cards to immigrate to the US on a random basis from various countries around the world. Those countries have historically sent very few emigrants to the US. So if u were born in one of those countries, then u are eligible for the green card lottery. However, countries like Canada, China, India, Mexico, etc. are not included. It depends on where u were born, not what citizenship you currently hold.

Last edited by huzefa; 03-24-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

now all we need is some people with guns to patrol the border so he can't get back in....

or you could just Fly around the world real fast until it reverses rotation and your are transfered back to the past...
Old 03-24-06, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
"Canada's great and all..."
Do we really want someone with judgment this poor in our country?
Old 03-24-06, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Superman was actually created by Canadians. Metropolis was based around Toronto.
Only one was Canadian and he moved to Ohio as a kid. The other was also an Ohioan.

Last edited by EddieN; 03-24-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some good info on here. I thought I'd add what I could.

My wife and I moved from Canada to the US a few months ago. She has a TN visa (I have a TD). Basically what that means is she's entitled to work, I am not. The TN is a one year visa, which is renewable. I was told you can keep renewing it, but that after 4 or 5 years, you may run into difficulty. As mentioned already, there are various careers that are eligible for a TN visa.

As for the Diversity Lottery/Green Card lottery, I enter that each year. I am not eligible as Canadian, but am as Irish. I was born in Ireland, so I am eligable. If you were not born in an eligible country, you may still qualify if one of your parents was. I am assuming here that you are not married, if you are, there may be other options. If you can and do apply for the lottery, be careful to go to the correct place. Don't apply anywhere that asks you for money. You do not need to pay anything to enter (as I found out the hard way years ago when I was ignorant of it all).

H-1B Visa is your best bet in the steps towards a green card. There is a lot more involved and it is quite time-consuming. We are in the middle of completing an application for this right now. I am not sure on the dates, but each year you can apply by April I think for H-1B's available in October (I think). There is a limited number issued each year. I don't know what that number is. This visa is a three year visa and I think it is renewable once. Once you have this visa you can start the green card process. This is our goal. They say the procedures are getting quicker. I hope this is true. Living off of one income in Silicon Valley can be a little tight, but it's worth it in the end to us.

As for costs. Some will depend on the lawyers, but also each step of the way/filing has it's own costs. My wife's employer is covering some of the costs, while we cover the others. Between the two and the lawyers fees, I would anticipate it to be around $12,000. Now pick yourself up of the floor. I know it seems to be a lot, but this is spread over a few years (as it will take this long) from going from TN to H-1B to labor certification, to green card aplication. And this is for the two of us, so your bill might be closer to 5k - 7K spread over a few years. Well worth it if you ask me.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can be of further help. I'm not not here everyday, but I try to look around and check where I've posted about every second or third day.
Old 03-24-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieN
Only one was Canadian and he moved to Ohio as a kid. The other was also an Ohioan.

I've become convinced that he isn't the real Superboy. He's just trying to use Superboy's good name to spread his Canadian lies.