Texas arresting people in bars for being drunk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-22-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Yahoo News:
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.
Of course, you think that's riddiculous? Get this -- some of the arrests were at a hotel bar, and some of the people arrested were staying at the hotel.

Old 03-22-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the same reaction when I saw that headline... but I think they are combating the public drunkness aspect of being drunk (fighting, cursing, grabby hands from guys) which I;m all for
Old 03-22-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They did this in Fairfax County, VA a while back. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.
Old 03-22-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess sending undercover agents into businesses hiring illegals is a bit too hard.

Get those drunks. They don't run that fast.
Old 03-22-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Texas cops have nothing better to do with their time anymore. They've executed everyone else.
Old 03-22-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't mess with texas
Old 03-22-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Consider how many people die from drunk driving.....I'm guessing they've saved at least 1 life.

More power to 'em. May not be conventional...but it works.
Old 03-22-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leepyswetr
They did this in Fairfax County, VA a while back. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.
Yes, and there was major backlash from it, so much that the police department issued a statement saying that all funding for such projects was removed.

That easily leaves them a window to 'fund' the project again, but not any time soon. I am glad the people here fought it, got the press and courts involved, and put an end to that madness.
Old 03-22-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FiveO
Consider how many people die from drunk driving.....I'm guessing they've saved at least 1 life.

More power to 'em. May not be conventional...but it works.
We could save many more lives by imposing a blanket 7PM curfew.

May not be conventional... but it works.
Old 03-22-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you ever see the victim of a drunk driving crash in person, dead in the car, come back and post it and tell us your thoughts.

Drunk driving is one of the most violent crimes today...and yet...we as a society think of it as an "accident"...its not.

If bringing on a 7pm curfew stops the 17,000 people a year from dieing as a result of drunk driving...I'm game.
Old 03-22-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you ever see the victim of a drunk driving crash in person, dead in the car, come back and post it and tell us your thoughts.

Drunk driving is one of the most violent crimes today...and yet...we as a society think of it as an "accident"...its not.
I'd agree with your post if every person hanging out at a bar that got shit faced drove there, but this isn't always the case. This type of police activity is complete bullshit IMO.
Old 03-22-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. I regularly go with my husband to a mexican restaurant that has a bar. He gets shitfaced on margaritas, tequila and beer while I just have coke. I drive home. So what if he is drunk at a bar. He's not driving home. I am.

If a cop came in and arrested him for being drunk, I'd make sure there would be hell to pay for that cop.

It's one thing to arrest people *outside* the bar acting drunk and fumbling with car keys. It's quite another to be arresting them inside the establishment.
Old 03-22-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they should concentrate on things like people who are using fakes and stuff instead of people who are drinking at a bar legally (or... illegally apparently)?
Old 03-22-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with mllefoo and Obey The D, this is bullshit. That said from a lifelong and proud of it Texan.

Texas does have one of the highest drunk driving rates as far as I know but arresting people for being drunk isn't going to stop that.
Old 03-22-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If bringing on a 7pm curfew stops the 17,000 people a year from dieing as a result of drunk driving...I'm game.
We could also do that by banning alcohol... no, wait, we've tried that.

How about banning cars? That'd work!
Old 03-22-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not just close all the bars and ban booze. Fuck that's just about as crazy as this.
Old 03-22-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just ban people from leaving their house.
Old 03-22-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Just ban people from leaving their house.

Nope. We need mandatory abortions for every child conceived. There are too many ways that they might be killed in this day and age. It's the only way to save lives.
Old 03-22-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I wonder if they could crack down on people discharging firearms at gun clubs.

If bartenders can get sued for serving to a person who gets in a wreck, expect the police to get sued for not arresting guys that get into wrecks.

Gotta' love this country.
Old 03-23-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess Ron White can't tell his Tater Salad joke anymore.
Old 03-23-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I'd agree with your post if every person hanging out at a bar that got shit faced drove there, but this isn't always the case. .This type of police activity is complete bullshit IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I have no problems with cops waiting outside to ambush the morons who are going to drive home. This is just bordering on absurdity.
Old 03-23-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew there had to be repercussions from The Real World: Austin.
Old 03-23-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have seen several, and my thoughts are that they're awful. But bad things happen, often to good people who don't deserve it. That doesn't mean it's OK to waste resources to arrest someone who might commit a crime. It would be a better idea for the undercover cops to wait outside the bars and stop drunks who actually get in their cars.

Something tells me this is an attempt by a politacrat trying to look like they're doing their job by grabbing some media attention.

It scares me that there are actually law enforcement people out there who really do believe it's OK to go to any extreme in order to "protect" people.
Old 03-23-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yahoo News
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the nanny state.
Fixed. I hear there are a lot of deaths as a result of eating poorly. Let's outlaw red meat and table salt.
Old 03-23-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yahoo News
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said, adding

"People walk out into traffic
And get run over,
People jump off of balconies
Trying to reach a swimming pool.
Monkeys eat potatoes
And pretend they're chickens.
Yo. Cut it."
Fixed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.