Reload this Page >

question about the David Copperfield audience vanish illusion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-22-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David Copperfield used to do a show-ending illusion on one of his live tours that had 13 randomly selected individuals come up onstage. He would then 'vanish' them in one big group as they sat atop some platform that allegedly showed no possible way for people to come and go without being seen. In other words, a nicely-crafted illusion.

I'm not curious about the mechanics of the illusion, but I'm more curious about whether the participants were plants or not. The method of selection seemed random (a series of large balloon-like balls bound around the audience, and then at some point whoever has one goes up onstage).
Old 03-22-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can bet it's not random. You have to be very careful about who you let up on stage, when you are doing illusions.
Old 03-22-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're overlooking the obvious.

Spoiler:
It was real.
Old 03-22-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It most definitely involved the delicate application of ninjas ...

... or pirates ...
Old 03-22-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
You're overlooking the obvious.

Spoiler:
It was real.

Old 03-22-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They were not plants. My brother was one of the people "selected" when we saw DC. Awesome trick, I have no idea how he does it, I can only hope that my brother is happy, wherever he is.
Old 03-22-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 03-22-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler
They were not plants. My brother was one of the people "selected" when we saw DC. Awesome trick, I have no idea how he does it, I can only hope that my brother is happy, wherever he is.
Nice.
Old 03-22-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, the answer is so blindingly obvious: David Copperfield is the Devil.
Old 03-22-06, 12:32 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mirrors
Old 03-22-06, 12:41 PM

Here's how the trick works:
Spoiler:
As the balloon bounces from audience member to audience member, their DNA is collected. When the 13 random people (and they are indeed random, not plants) are selected, a transporter (as seen in Star Trek) transports the people away and instantly replaces them with an exact clone that can turn temporarily invisible. The "originals" are, of course, liquidated.
Old 03-22-06, 12:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
David Copperfield used to do a show-ending illusion on one of his live tours that had 13 randomly selected individuals come up onstage. He would then 'vanish' them in one big group as they sat atop some platform that allegedly showed no possible way for people to come and go without being seen. In other words, a nicely-crafted illusion.

I'm not curious about the mechanics of the illusion, but I'm more curious about whether the participants were plants or not. The method of selection seemed random (a series of large balloon-like balls bound around the audience, and then at some point whoever has one goes up onstage).
Rest assured, they were human.
Old 03-22-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

David Copperfield can make any audience disappear simply by listing his name on the marquee.
Old 03-22-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shoveler

It's an ILLUSION, tricks are what whores do for money.

Last edited by Cusm; 03-22-06 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
David Copperfield can make any audience disappear simply by listing his name on the marquee.
Old 03-22-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Here's how the trick works:
Spoiler:
As the balloon bounces from audience member to audience member, their DNA is collected. When the 13 random people (and they are indeed random, not plants) are selected, a transporter (as seen in Star Trek) transports the people away and instantly replaces them with an exact clone that can turn temporarily invisible. The "originals" are, of course, liquidated.
I sure hope Shoveler doesn't know how to read spoiler text.
Old 03-23-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
The "originals" are, of course, liquidated.
So in theory we should just be able to buy them back at low, low, rock-bottom, going-out-of-business prices, with their loss being our gain?
Old 03-23-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got nothing.
Old 03-23-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow. i'd hate to throw a serious answer into this thread, but i was actually one of the people who ended up going up for this illusion at one of his shows in vegas last year, so i can confirm that it is random. after it's over, we all got a nice shiny autographed b&w pic of davey boy, in exchange for our silence.
Old 03-23-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mkdevo
wow. i'd hate to throw a serious answer into this thread, but i was actually one of the people who ended up going up for this illusion at one of his shows in vegas last year, so i can confirm that it is random. after it's over, we all got a nice shiny autographed b&w pic of davey boy, in exchange for our silence.
As the original poster, I say 'thanks' for the info.

I was having a discussion with someone about this illusion, and I mentioned that I had gone to the show with my (then) 8 year old daughter. During the selection process I was able to hit one of the balloons (but didn't get picked), and afterwards when Copperfield didn't return the disappearee's, my daughter was freaking that I almost got picked. She talked about that 'near miss' for long time after that, so at the very least the illusion made a real impact on her.

So I'm talking magic with someone the other day, and he insisted all 13 had to be plants because it would go against the whole "magic secret" principle to have a dozen or so people learn how a big stage illusion was done each night.

I understand the role of the plant in magic, but for some reason that bit seemed to be genuine, in terms of random audience member selection.

Do you think all 13 were random?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-23-06 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
So I'm talking magic with someone the other day, and he insisted all 13 had to be plants because it would go against the whole "magic secret" principle to have half-a-dozen people learn how a big stage illusion was done each night.
Not when you know that you can buy their silence with a crappy autographed photo.
Old 03-23-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamblast
[old joke] The greatest magic trick David Copperfield ever performed was making Claudia Schiffer's taste in men disappear. [/old joke]
Old 03-23-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, a photo wouldn't buy MY silence! So, mkdevo, out with it! How did he do it?
Old 03-23-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-23-06, 12:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mkdevo

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.