Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you heard about the Jury Duty Scam thingamabobby?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-21-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...bevare...take-care...

BEVARE!!!

POOL DA STRINK!!!

POOL!!! DA!!! STRINK!!!

GOOD LORD!!! &

( )

Jury Rigged

Here's a new twist scammers are using to commit identity theft: the jury duty scam.

Here's how it works:

The scammer calls claiming to work for the local court and claims you've failed to report for jury duty. He tells you that a warrant has been issued for your arrest.

The victim will often rightly claim they never received the jury duty notification. The scammer then asks the victim for confidential information for "verification" purposes.

Specifically, the scammer asks for the victim's Social Security number, birth date, and sometimes even for credit card numbers and other private information exactly what the scammer needs to commit identity theft.

So far, this jury duty scam has been reported in Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Oregon and Washington state.

It's easy to see why this works. The victim is clearly caught off guard, and is understandably upset at the prospect of a warrant being issued for his or her arrest. So, the victim is much less likely to be vigilant about protecting their confidential information.

In reality, court workers will never call you to ask for social security numbers and other private information. In fact, most courts follow up via snail mail and rarely, if ever, call prospective jurors.

Action: Never give out your Social Security number, credit card numbers or other personal confidential information when you receive a telephone call.

This jury duty scam is the latest in a series of identity theft scams where scammers use the phone to try to get people to reveal their Social Security number, credit card numbers or other personal confidential information.

It doesn't matter *why* they are calling all the reasons are just different variants of the same scam.

Protecting yourself is simple: Never give this info out when you receive a phone call.

&

Would You Like To Know More? If so, click Here.

This OtterTown Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by...

o'tiny tek

Last edited by The Edit King; 03-21-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 01:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info, and the warning, TEK. It can not be said often enough, do NOT EVER give your Soc. Sec. number to people who call you, ever. No one who knows what they're doing would ask.
Old 03-21-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to work for the court system where I live. Those people can't even get a jury summons through the snail mail without screwing it up. If I thought they were organized enough to have an actual call list, I'd probably die of a heart attack.
Old 03-22-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read/heard about that a month or two ago. Tricky stuff.
Old 03-22-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought there was a thread but I didn't find it.

But I did find seven threads you posted in concerning jury duty. Five of them you started.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....archid=1202818

Here's six of them:

The Edit King 03-22-06 01:11 AM

How do you get out of Jury Duty?

Ravenous 07-12-05 03:01 PM

FTGAOTOMHD: If you were on trial, which DVD Talk members would you want on your jury?

The Edit King 04-08-05 03:21 PM

Jury Duty next week! Will having a herniated disc & being on pain pills free me?

The Edit King 04-04-05 03:17 PM

Seen one, seen 'em all & What you see is what you get? Who makes up this stuff?

The Edit King 02-27-05 01:13 AM

I've got to report for Jury Duty at 7:45 this morning...

The Edit King 10-15-04 05:40 AM
Old 03-22-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My social security number? 952-06-9324. Why?
Old 03-22-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Edit King
So far, this jury duty scam has been reported in Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Oregon and Washington state.
Well, of course it's those states. Everyone else is smart enough to not fall for it.

Good info. I'm sure most know not to give info out over the phone, but it never hurts to catch the few who don't.