Anyone tried Internet dating?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-21-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

In the final throws of a divorce and it's time to start looking at options. Internet dating seems to be a viable option to heading out to bars, etc.
I've searched a couple of posts but wanted some updated information.

What websites are out there? Looks like eharmony, yahoo personals and match.com are the most mentioned but any others?

Any success you've had meeting fun and interesting people?

Any do's/dont's to keep in mind?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-06, 11:11 AM
Banned

Yup. done it A LOT over the years. Met my first boyfriend on the internet.

My advice? Don't wait forever to have the date because that just builds up anticipation and you end up creating an idea of perfection in your head that could never exist. Just have a conversation on the phone...look at SEVERAL pictures to get as best an idea as you can of how he/she looks...and if you're feeling it, go for it. Hell, make the first date a quickie. Say you want to meet just for coffee and you have an hour free. That gives you a good "out" if it's bad and if it's good, you can make another time to meet up when you're not so booked
Old 03-21-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I met my wife on match.com.
Old 03-21-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
What websites are out there? Looks like eharmony, yahoo personals and match.com are the most mentioned but any others?
I understand that this forum is a dating service.
Old 03-21-06, 11:19 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

There are lots of good women online who would love to meet someone. Normal women who are also tired of the 'bar scene'. If you can answer yes to the following questions you might be successful with online dating:

-- Can you carry an interesting conversation online, can be clever and witty without coming across creepy?

-- Can you be interested in getting to know people, not just talking dirty online?

-- Can you can be REAL in conversations online?
Old 03-21-06, 11:21 AM
Banned

I would scratch everything Ferris just said and make sure you can do all those things in REAL LIFE...since that's kinda what matters. You can't get married online.
Old 03-21-06, 11:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

well come on, you have to be 'dateable' in real life if you expect to be online.

Somehow people think they dont need social skills when trying to date people online. Maybe its that they dont have the language skills to keep the subliminal thoughts from being so obvious when typed. Be honest with yourself. Can you be a normal person in online conversations? If not, forget about online dating.
Old 03-21-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "online dating." Are you going to use the online milieu to meet local people who just happen to be looking online? or are you going to engage in 'long-distance romances' with people in other states or even other countries?

If your goal is the former, rather than the latter, you might have good luck. I haven't, but I tend to attract weirdos whether it's through online OR real time venues.

Edited to add: check out this website -- www.wildxangel.com -- before doing any major online stuff.
Old 03-21-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Same here.

Though I didn't realize that she was tommyp007's wife until the third date.
Old 03-21-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I met my husband on match.com. I agree with digital - you have to meet early.

Don't look at it as finding your soul mate, look at it as finding all the ones who AREN'T.

Date a LOT before you settle down into monogamy. I'm not saying sleep around either. I'm saying look at it as fun, and don't get serious until you find someone right. Find a f buddy in the mean time if you must, but don't let sex tie you into a relationship you shouldn't be in.

If you talk/email too long you basically build the person into what you want them to be and will most likely be disappointed.

Right after contact and 2 or 3 emails tell him/her you'd like to meet for lunch. This gives you an easy "out" after 45 min or so and then you can determine from there whether to ask him/her out again.
Old 03-21-06, 11:54 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I met my husband on match.com. I agree with digital - you have to meet early.

Don't look at it as finding your soul mate, look at it as finding all the ones who AREN'T.

Date a LOT before you settle down into monogamy. I'm not saying sleep around either. I'm saying look at it as fun, and don't get serious until you find someone right. Find a f buddy in the mean time if you must, but don't let sex tie you into a relationship you shouldn't be in.

If you talk/email too long you basically build the person into what you want them to be and will most likely be disappointed.

Right after contact and 2 or 3 emails tell him/her you'd like to meet for lunch. This gives you an easy "out" after 45 min or so and then you can determine from there whether to ask him/her out again.
Skeeterbite is so centered.
Old 03-21-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend that met her husband on match.com.

I've met a few women on Yahoo. Mostly of the "loose" persuasion.

I've met two women recently on match that I have been out with a few times. Always get more than one picture unless you don't really care what they look like because they never look like they do in the pictures.
Old 03-21-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The internet didn't really exist when I was last dating.

I was talking w/a co-worker yesterday about this. She said she ran into someone we know that was bragging his "Wink" rate was 48 percent and the average is 28 percent. He's always been very competitive.

I know of three people at work that had never been married and were in their late 30's, early 40's and met someone on the net to marry. Also know one guy who lost his wife to another guy via the Internet.
Old 03-21-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Skeeterbite is so centered.
The men I met online were so shocked that I offered up meeting early. My husband had been on match a year when we met and he said I was the first woman to suggest it.

I say if you meet in a public place, and at a busy time (like lunch)- there shouldn't be a problem. Also, I always told people at work or friend who I was meeting and where and what time to expect me back - just in case
Old 03-21-06, 12:35 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a friend of mine has been very successful in meeting people. I think she's going to marry the current guy she's dating, but she can be fucking dumb sometimes though.....that's another story.
Old 03-21-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We've had a lot of otters hook up. Maybe you should shop around here and see if there's any single otters to date?
Old 03-21-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tommyp007
How odd, I met her on match.com too.
Old 03-21-06, 01:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
How odd, I met her on match.com too.
Pics?
Old 03-21-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I gave internet dating a try a little over a year ago. Ended up going on dates with a couple women and got messages from a lot of others I wasn't interested in meeting. In my experience, the actual dating sites seemed to suck. I tried Match & Yahoo and they both seemed to be full of women who were either 1) at their wits end and desperate to get a husband or 2) looking for dick.

That said, I have profiles on both Myspace and Friendster and ended up meeting several really interesting people on those, including my girlfriend of 8 mos. I think it helps that those sites are a little more focused on interests/hobbies/tastes as opposed to being so narrowly focused on searching for a relationship. Women on the dating sites all seemed like slight variations of some self-proclaimed smart, independant woman-entity who also likes to be pampered from time to time and who has a great sense of humor.
Old 03-21-06, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Hey all,

In the final throws of a divorce and it's time to start looking at options.
If you're in the final throws of a divorce, I would suggest you don't date for a while. Especially, if you've been married for a long time, take time to become comfortable alone. When I was getting a divorce 2 years ago, I was quite eager to get it done so I could start dating. I had some dates after moving out, but the time in-between, when I was all alone, was hell after being married for years. Even though I had no interest in my ex, I never wanted to be home because I wasn't comfortable by myself. Then I got into a rebound relationship, which at the time I had no idea it was a rebound. That could've led to another failed marriage if I hadn't come to my senses.

All I'm saying is take your time. Enjoy being alone and doing whatever the hell you want without having to answer to anyone. Don't rush into anything.

You may think I'm full of shit, but that's my experience.

Nonetheless, I've dated women off of match.com, yahoo personals, and HotOrNot. I've had the most luck with match.com. But, my current girlfriend is from HotOrNot. She seems like a keeper.
Old 03-21-06, 01:48 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I agree with max, you shouldnt limit yourself to websites that are ONLY for dating. Go to places with blogs like Myspace and become part of the community and be yourself and meet people off of there.
Old 03-21-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of dating sites charge a fee, that helps eliminate most of the fakes.
Old 03-21-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mom met her hubby on match.com.
My brother met his wife in a chat room (though she was married at the time and left her husband - woopsies)
My aunt met her hubby on match.com

All are extremely happy and in love.
Old 03-21-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
A lot of dating sites charge a fee, that helps eliminate most of the fakes.

You'd think. I swear Yahoo uses workers for ads to get you to keep using. Last time I cancelled the service I got 2 messages that day and another the day after, this was after getting no messages the month before. I responded to them both but got no response back.
Old 03-21-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I met my current girl thru webdate. Also had some match.com successes.

I say go for it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.