Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Didn't get a W2, how long do you think it'll take to get a replacement?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-19-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing my taxes today and discovered I didn't get one of my W2s. I got the more important one, the one from my temp agency that covered all but 2 weeks of my employment in 2005.
But the one from my permanent job, which only would have covered 1 pay period, never came. I have the pay stub so calculating my taxes is taken care of (they owe me)

Can companies normally get these sent out within a couple weeks (aka before April 15th) or should I fill out form 4852?
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf
Old 03-19-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should have gotten it to you by January 20th or they could be in trouble with the IRS. They will probably get one to you ASAP if you raise a stink (it shouldn't even have to be a big one).
Old 03-20-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
well, turns out I wasn't supposed to get one. Since the pay check actually came in 2006 that pay period isn't counted for 2005
Old 03-20-06, 07:10 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
well, turns out I wasn't supposed to get one. Since the pay check actually came in 2006 that pay period isn't counted for 2005
For individuals (income on W-2), IRS determines your income on a cash basis and not on an accrual basis. So it's the money that you received that year not on the work you did that year.