Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Boogers! Furnace not working, 85 bucks just to look at it?!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-16-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argh. I tried to get the thing to light as best I could, but I need a professional. I called around, looks like 85 bucks is all I can do to just get someone to look at the stupid thing and diagnose the problem.

It's blowing nothing but cold air... tries to light but doesn't.

I'm guessing it's just a service issue, but it could be a number of things. Man, this sucks. We better not need a new one.

Question is, why is it 85 bucks to do a full service on the furnace, and also 85 bucks to just look at it? I asked if they would perform a service while they are out and they said no, just diagnose the problem.

But they've got me... other than calling multiple places, there's nothing I can do and we need help ASAP.

Ugh. Man, it's freezing in here. They better get it running today, cause if it's out another night this place is going to be frigid.
Old 03-16-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both times I've had issues with furnaces not lighting, I was able to solve them by relplacing the thermocouple - $5 part.
Old 03-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emanon
Both times I've had issues with furnaces not lighting, I was able to solve them by relplacing the thermocouple - $5 part.
Well, I just got a hold of someone that will come out sooner and put the cost towards any work. I need to get it looked at because nobody has serviced it since we moved into the house any way.

It's 10 years old, so who knows.
Old 03-16-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's pretty good compared to the $145 my mom just paid to have them come look at her furnace a few weeks ago.
Old 03-16-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melbatoast
That's pretty good compared to the $145 my mom just paid to have them come look at her furnace a few weeks ago.
Well, let's just see how much it ends up costing after service.

I'll report back.

Did I mentioned it's stinkin' FREEZING up in here? Brrr!
Old 03-16-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You're lucky... my furnace usually stops working on a sunday, when they charge a real premium to come out and look at it.
Old 03-16-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, the joys of homeownership. At least you're not "wasting" rent money...

Sorry to hear about this, but really, it goes with the territory.

I had to put in a new water heater this year - 1200 bucks!!!!
Old 03-16-06, 01:43 PM

Just as a heads up, you may want to consider signing up with Service Magic. Basically you put in a request to them for what you need done, and they'll send you back a list of people who can do it for you. I've had good luck getting some pretty reasonable prices through them. I actually had the same exact problem the thread starter had a few months back, and I managed to get somebody out here and the heater fixed within about two hours of putting the request in. There's also an ebay-like feedback system where you rate the service you got.
Old 03-16-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xVladx
Just as a heads up, you may want to consider signing up with Service Magic. Basically you put in a request to them for what you need done, and they'll send you back a list of people who can do it for you. I've had good luck getting some pretty reasonable prices through them. I actually had the same exact problem the thread starter had a few months back, and I managed to get somebody out here and the heater fixed within about two hours of putting the request in. There's also an ebay-like feedback system where you rate the service you got.
I've heard good things about Service Magic as well. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, this stuff goes with the territory. I'm just thankful that we haven't had a single appliance issue in 2 years until this. The water heater has to be close as well.
Old 03-16-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$440. Woo hoo!

I probably should have just looked into a new furnace but it's freezing and he says we can probably get another 2-3 years out of this one.
Old 03-16-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
$440. Woo hoo!

I probably should have just looked into a new furnace but it's freezing and he says we can probably get another 2-3 years out of this one.
Buy or borrow a kerosene heater and look into your options. It's only going to be cold for a few weeks anyway.
Old 03-16-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Rick

Holy Sit! What was it, made out of gold?

I replaced my water heater about two years ago and it cost me $150. Of course I installed it myself, but, wow, just, wow...
Old 03-16-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by crazyronin
I replaced my water heater about two years ago and it cost me $150. Of course I installed it myself, but, wow, just, wow...
$150? What size was it? Was it new or refurbished or something?
Old 03-16-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New 50 gallon electric. It replaced one I got for free on a renovation Job.

*edit : I was commenting on Lord Rick's water heater not a furnace. My furnace died last year, replaced it with a Rinnai, $1600

Last edited by crazyronin; 03-16-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by crazyronin
New 50 gallon electric. It replaced one I got for free on a renovation Job.
Ah, electric water heaters must come a lot cheaper than gas then.
Old 03-16-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow...just wow. Was it a special job in some way? I just replaced one and it ran about $450 including install.
Old 03-17-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We had a water heater go out when I was out of town. Mrs. Pusser called and got one that day for $450. I was not happy since it should have been more like $300.

Our heater had an issue the other day and it was a wiring harness. In fact, I'm supposed to call them tomorrow to see how much a replacement will cost to order.
Old 03-17-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We had a water heater go out when I was out of town. Mrs. Pusser called and got one that day for $450. I was not happy since it should have been more like $300.

Our heater had an issue the other day and it was a wiring harness. In fact, I'm supposed to call them tomorrow to see how much a replacement will cost to order.

Our house has two furnaces so when one goes out we're still okay.
Old 03-18-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Our furnace went out this year (also blowing cold air and tying to light). Turns out it was the control board...$150. The furnace people looked at it 3 different times and only charged us once for the service fee...now that's service.
Old 03-18-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny how it feels different to spend $1200 when you own versus when you rent. It's still money out of your pocket, but you feel like it's going somewhere when you own the place.
Old 03-18-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Funny how it feels different to spend $1200 when you own versus when you rent. It's still money out of your pocket, but you feel like it's going somewhere when you own the place.
Not sure I follow. When something broke in my apartment, I didn't pay jack.
Old 03-18-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
No, no, I don't.

See, when you rent and the water heater breaks, you don't pay that $1200.

Owning a home sucks.

And get this - I own my own home free and clear (no mortgage) and I still get to pay $300 per month in taxes and insurance.

As to the questions about why my water heater cost 1200 - it was gas (but replacing an existing gas heater) and I'm sure we got ripped off, but I'm in medical school, I was in the middle of a block of tests, and I didn't have the time or the energy to fight the guy or get estimates. Plus I needed it fixed immediately because I'm not taking cold showers, and my wife and toddlers aren't taking cold baths for a couple of days while I get the best deal.
Old 03-18-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

No, no, I don't.

See, when you rent and the water heater breaks, you don't pay that $1200.

Owning a home sucks.

And get this - I own my own home free and clear (no mortgage) and I still get to pay $300 per month in taxes and insurance.
You should sell and rent.

Seriously, for a house like yours you don't think the $300 a month for taxes, etc. isn't figured into the rent? I would make a wild guess that to rent your place would be close to $1500 a month and you wouldn't have the asset.
Old 03-18-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Our water heaters are gas but I still don't know how they could hit someone for $1200.
Old 03-18-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He got soaked. There's absolutely no way it should cost $1200. $700 TOPS, and that would be for the Best Water Tank In The World.

When my hot water heater breaks, I'm getting a tankless water heater.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.