Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever had to have their kids in a hip brace?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-16-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just got back from the doctor's office, and apparently our 3 month old daughter is now in a hip brace that can't even be removed for 6 weeks. After that we get to take it off for certain intervals. Needless to say, my wife and I a both a little upset. Has anyone ever had hip problems with their children? The doctor says the brace corrects 98% of the problems, but I'm still uncertain about everything.
Old 03-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what are the problems?
Old 03-16-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have kids and am in no way a medical expert.

The negitive that pops to mind is she may devold her movement skills slower depending on how restrictive the brace is. Kids can crawl by 3 months right? On the plus side, it'll be easier to keep track of her.
Old 03-16-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When my brother was a kid, he had hip surgery, and had to wear a cast for quite a while that stopped him from walking. He had to learn to walk all over again. Luckily with her, she doesn't know how to walk, so there's nothing to re-learn. It may just mean that she'll be a bit older when she learns to walk. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-16-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does she have hip dysplasia? It's not that uncommon, but it is important to correct now, because it becomes more and more difficult to fix later as her bones keep growing.
Old 03-16-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Braces have never been hip, but it's kind of cool if the orthodontist can let your child choose the color of their rubberbands.
Old 03-16-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No but my toddler (aged 3-1/2 years) has managed to break his wrist and his collar bone so far. Isn't parenthood fun???
Old 03-16-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Does she have hip dysplasia? It's not that uncommon, but it is important to correct now, because it becomes more and more difficult to fix later as her bones keep growing.
Dysplasia sounds vaguely familiar, but he also mention o______ nucleosis. Basically the ball is coming out of the socket too far.

As far as that slowing down her development, I think my other daughter never crawled, but went straight from rolling/pulling herself to walking.
Old 03-16-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
No but my toddler (aged 3-1/2 years) has managed to break his wrist and his collar bone so far. Isn't parenthood fun???
Good Lord! What do you do to the kid? When they're bad you're supposed to lock them in the closet, not throw them down the stairs.
Old 03-16-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ESUguy
Dysplasia sounds vaguely familiar, but he also mention o______ nucleosis. Basically the ball is coming out of the socket too far.

As far as that slowing down her development, I think my other daughter never crawled, but went straight from rolling/pulling herself to walking.
Here is WebMD's page on Hip Dysplasia; it might have more info for you.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw165969.asp
Old 03-16-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ESUguy
Good Lord! What do you do to the kid? When they're bad you're supposed to lock them in the closet, not throw them down the stairs.

He's a very active child and it doesn't help that his 8 year old brother uses him for science experiments (gee, what will happen to human skin if we put it on a hot light bulb?!?). Oy.