Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Woman slams car past standing traffic (aka when nobody will let you merge...)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-15-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not like I haven't THOUGHT about doing this before...

Woman slams car past standing traffic
A Sunrise woman was arrested Tuesday after she allegedly hit a half-dozen cars when no one would let her merge into traffic, witnesses said.
BY JENNIFER LEBOVICH
[email protected]

For South Florida drivers the scenario is all too common.

Stuck in traffic, trying to merge. No one will let you in.

But while it might cross their minds, few drivers would resort to the approach that officials said a 26-year-old Sunrise woman took on Tuesday morning.
An apparently frustrated Suze Telfort, unable to get onto Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale, decided to make her own path with her green, two-door Toyota.

She smashed into a half-dozen cars, witnesses said.

At least four cars began following Telfort, honking and pointing at the car as she drove down Federal Highway about 10:30 a.m.

As the angry parade careered down the highway, Telfort's luck took another couple of wrong turns.

In the neighborhood was FBI agent Paul Russell, who heard a call come over about deputies searching for the green Toyota. Russell, a 30-year veteran and former Pittsburgh cop, saw Telfort coming up behind him and followed her.
Russell is an ''old school kind of guy,'' said FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela.

``He's not the kind of guy who sits behind a desk. He gets out there.''
Almost a year ago, Russell rammed a robbery suspect who was weaving crazily in traffic on the Sawgrass Expressway while guzzling from a large glass bottle.

Orihuela said of Russell's timing: ``He always seems to be in the right place at the right time.''

On Tuesday, Telfort, making a right turn from the center lane, sheared the bumper off a '93 Mercury Sable as she darted into the parking lot of a Washington Mutual Bank a few blocks away, deputies and witnesses said.
Behind the wheel of the Mercury: Bill Durkin, a retired insurance adjuster who said he witnessed far too many accidents where one driver left the scene, leaving the other to pay for damages.

''I wasn't going to let her flee,'' said Durkin, of Pompano Beach. ``I was immediately in hot pursuit racing through the parking lot onto Oakland Park Boulevard.''

Durkin noticed at least one other car pursuing Telfort, and he was confident his V6 engine could catch her. Durkin's wife grabbed a piece of paper and jotted down the Toyota's license plate number.

``I gave the car all it had. It's a roll of the dice whether you can get in and out of traffic. I didn't want to hit anyone. She obviously didn't care.''
From there, the chase lasted for about three-quarters of a mile, heading west on Oakland Park Boulevard.

At about 10:48 a.m., Telfort got stuck in traffic at a stoplight on Oakland Park Boulevard near Andrews Avenue, deputies said. Russell came up to her door, tapped on the window with his gun and then opened the unlocked door.
BSO deputies arrested Telfort on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving damage to property. Late Tuesday, she was still at Broward County Jail.

Records indicate it wasn't Telfort's first violation of motorist etiquette. She was cited in January for failing to stop at a red light, according to court records. She was cited in May 2005 for failing to display vehicle registration. In April of 2004, she was cited for following too closely, not wearing a seat belt, driving on a suspended license and not having insurance.

However tempting Telfort's alleged conduct might be, experts on keeping things civilized said it's not a good idea.

''Bad behavior by others doesn't entitle you to invent your own behavior,'' said Kenneth Goodman, co-director of the University of Miami Ethics Programs.

``Civil society sometimes requires we take a deep breath, recognize many of our compatriots are morons, and press on with grace and dignity. It can make you nuts, but that's what civilization requires.''
Old 03-15-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

crazy bitch
Old 03-15-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I kid, I kid.
Old 03-15-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lunatikk bitch.....
Old 03-15-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to merge on to a busy highway every night on my way home (by busy, I mean bumper to bumper - stop and go)

Where the merge lane ends, and small ditch and then hill appear, at least 2 nights a year I see a car in the ditch or up on the hill on my way home.

People suck, I feel her pain, but jeeeeez just wait a minute for someone to let you out or merge agressively, but don't be so agressive you hit people.
Old 03-15-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-15-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Women drivers

Old 03-15-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Paul Russell is the new Jack Bauer.
Old 03-15-06, 11:53 AM

Hey I'm surprised this kinda thing doesn't happen more often.
Old 03-15-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awsome. That's what people get for being dicks.
Old 03-15-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's this device that cars have called a "turn signal". If she thought of using one, I'm sure someone would've eventually let her in.
Old 03-15-06, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
There's this device that cars have called a "turn signal". If she thought of using one, I'm sure someone would've eventually let her in.
Driven much?
Old 03-15-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Civil society sometimes requires we take a deep breath, recognize many of our compatriots are morons, and press on with grace and dignity. It can make you nuts, but that's what civilization requires.
I like that quote.
Old 03-15-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Morf
Driven much?
Too much. Out of 30 cars, I'm sure one of them would've let her in IF they knew she wanted to get in (i.e. signaled).

Then again, judging by her past record, she shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.
Old 03-15-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too much. Out of 30 cars, I'm sure one of them would've let her in IF they knew she wanted to get in (i.e. signaled).

Then again, judging by her past record, she shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.
As if they didn't know she wanted in when she was on the onramp.

I would guess that she is one of those people who's too timid when merging and so everyone ignored her.
Old 03-15-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You've never driven on Staten Island. Letting someone in is a rarity around these parts. And what is this "turn signal" device of which you speak? It does not exist here.
Old 03-15-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
I like that quote.
Old 03-15-06, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

You've never driven on Staten Island. Letting someone in is a rarity around these parts. And what is this "turn signal" device of which you speak? It does not exist here.

And to add to that, if you've ever driven in South Florida (i.e. Ft. Lauderdale), you'll understand why people didn't let her in. The morons down there are more apt to stare at the pretty blinking red light than be courteous and let you in.

I'm surprised that most of those fucktards know how to turn a steering wheel.
Old 03-15-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
As if they didn't know she wanted in when she was on the onramp.

I would guess that she is one of those people who's too timid when merging and so everyone ignored her.
Federal Highway is kinda misnamed. It's what they call US1 through Fort Lauderdale. It's a normal street, 3 lanes on each side. So no onramp.
Old 03-15-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
And to add to that, if you've ever driven in South Florida (i.e. Ft. Lauderdale), you'll understand why people didn't let her in. The morons down there are more apt to stare at the pretty blinking red light than be courteous and let you in.

I'm surprised that most of those fucktards know how to turn a steering wheel.
As someone who lives in South Florida and drives an hour to work every day, I completely agree with you. I've learned to understand why nobody down here uses a turn signal -- it's because if you do use one, the cars in the other lane are going to speed up to prevent you from getting in the lane.
Old 03-15-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's that sense of touch. Any real city, you walk, you're bumped, brush past people. In "Florida," no one touches you . . .

We're always behind metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, we "crash" into each other just to feel something.

Last edited by grunter; 03-15-06 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Hold a bat out the window of the direction you will be turning. Works for me.
Old 03-15-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Right turn from center lane? I don't think she is too timid.
Old 03-15-06, 03:49 PM

"As the angry parade careered down the highway"... Is that a metaphor for life?
Old 03-15-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i feel her pain.

i was trying to merge onto the highway from an on-ramp a few weeks ago. signal on trying to get into bumper to bumper traffic. some stupid bitch refused to let me in basically riding the bumper of the guy in front of her.

i threw anything I could get my hands on from my car....dunkin donuts bag, napkins, my lit cigarette, etc.

i hate rude selfish people.

oh, and then i tortured her until she exited.

i am a calm guy normally...officer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.