Reload this Page >

Went To Jury Duty Yesterday

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-15-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to jury duty for the first time yesterday. I had been an alternate in December, but never actually had to go. There were about 200 people in the room, which was a decent size, so nobody was cramped. Not a single person was called the entire day. I did manage to read about 60% of a book that I brought and have a nice relaxing day off from work. The only part of the day that was bad was driving to the courthouse as I am usually driving to work at 5am, so the traffic is never heavy. Got my check for $17.20 and now I don't need to come back for at least a year. Not a bad experience all in all.
Old 03-15-06, 08:28 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I found my jury duty experience in 2004 interesting. I had a DUI stop as my case. We found the defendant not guilty because the cops did not perform all the DUI tests they were supposed to and there was no breathalyzer test information because the defendant refused it. The defendant was an idiot though.
Old 03-15-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$17.20? I've never been. How is this amount determined?
Old 03-15-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega
I found my jury duty experience in 2004 interesting. I had a DUI stop as my case. We found the defendant not guilty because the cops did not perform all the DUI tests they were supposed to and there was no breathalyzer test information because the defendant refused it. The defendant was an idiot though.
So you don't live in an implied consent state where refusal to take a breathylizer test is the same as failing a breathylizer?
Old 03-15-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had to go on Monday... Got chosen as one of the 50 (from which they pick 12).. Brought us into the courtroom and both sides asked us questions about our biases, etc... Kind of interesting.. Was there from 9:00 am to 5:30pm and got $6
Old 03-15-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
$17.20? I've never been. How is this amount determined?
I don't know how it is determined, but everyone got the same amount. If I had been selected to serve on a jury, I would get the $17.20 each day I served. The amount is dependent on which state you are in.
Old 03-15-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went in 2000, but wasn't chosen for a case. I was told I couldn't be called again for four years, so I've been eligible for almost two.
Old 03-15-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know my company makes up the difference for any amount you're paid by the courts to what your daily salary is. Are they required to do so?
Old 03-15-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know my company makes up the difference for any amount you're paid by the courts to what your daily salary is. Are they required to do so?
Nope.
Old 03-15-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it varies state to state. I am pretty sure that in Illinois your employer is not required to pay you. I am salaried so it did not really matter, they just gave me the day off without penalty (I did not have to take a vacation day or anything).
Old 03-15-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In MA, they don't have to pay you for the first week, then it's $50/day after.

My companies have never paid me.
Old 03-15-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. It MUST be required in VA if you get my drift.
Old 03-15-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My only time with jury duty I got called to be interviewed but they ended up settling the case before selecting the jurors. My work will pay you for up to 10 days a year of jury duty without it coming out of our normal PTO balance. All told I got a day off of work and spent 6 hours at the courthouse and watched a couple DVDs on my laptop. I'd be happy to go again.
Old 03-15-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been called in twice, and on the jury twice. It's interesting, but I hope I don't have to do it again any time soon.
Old 03-15-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I went a couple of months ago here in Los Angeles. Man, it's like they're calling you to your death chamber in there or something. I swear 95% of the potential jurors there absolutely hate to be there, and whenever they called names a huge sigh of relief would come from the remaining people. There was mass cheering at the end of the day from the remnant that wasn't called.

Of course, secretly I always fear being called to a jury on a trial that would take a long, long time. My employers have always paid me for jury duty, so I've never had to take the stipend, but that has a limit, and I don't think I could survive on 17.50 a day... or whatever LA pays.
Old 03-15-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only been called once, about ten years ago, and I did serve on a jury. As soon as voir dire began and they started asking questions almost exclusively about police officers I did everything I could to get on that jury, knowing the case would be interesting. I made myself into exactly what the attorneys were looking for - someone with no hard opinions about anything who could easily be bent to their side. It worked like a charm.

The thing I found most interesting about the experience was how the defense strategy changed from the first day to the second. The case involved a police officer who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman he pulled over for running a red light. During the first day of testimony, defense's position was that the sexual assault hadn't happened. As soon as day two began, they'd switched to saying that there had been sexual contact, but that it was consentual.

I thought it was interesting, though. I'd definitely do it again, but I haven't been called once since then.
Old 03-15-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Big Dave
...now I don't need to come back for at least a year.
I got called last year and never picked. Now they can't call me for another 8 years.
Old 03-15-06, 07:37 PM

Only called once myself and my efforts to get rescheduled to another time was denied causing me to miss a final exam for a class. Obviously as I was missing a final while answering questions it was noticed my attention was not on being a jury so I was given a dismissal which of course by that point was too little too late. Annoying clerk guy telling me my university is known as a commuter school so obviously I would not in class during jury times. Also annoying instructor that would not let me reschedule the exam even with prior notice I could not get out of jury duty.

Even with all of that I would not mind getting called again at somepoint given it was not as poorly timed as it previously was.

As for the original poster, good job for not trying to get out of attending though a shame about sitting there all day.
Old 03-15-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trout
I got called last year and never picked. Now they can't call me for another 8 years.
I guess in Illinois back in the 80's people used to have to stay for like 2 weeks waiting to get on a jury. They changed it now so that it is either you are called on the day you show up or you are done for a year. The one and done leads to a greater chance to being called again. They were saying that they do not excuse anybody nowadays. There was even a judge among the 200 people I was with and the guy that was running the program was even selected to be on a jury at one point. He was also saying that even Oprah had to show up a few years ago.

Originally Posted by Talzin
As for the original poster, good job for not trying to get out of attending though a shame about sitting there all day.
Did not really mind it outside the drive to and from the courthouse because of traffic. Gave me a chance to check up on some reading. Hell, nowadays I am pretty bored at work and would not have really minded being called to a case for a couple of days.
Old 03-16-06, 12:08 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can be pretty closed minded, so I don't know how fair I'd be if I was called
Old 03-22-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wife got picked to be on a jury today. Yesterday's story was the funny. This is NYC so you get a bunch of different ethnicities. Of course a lot of people said they can't serve since they don't speak english very well. Even the guy that works for one of the largest wall street firms. Now they have a solution. You have to go to english class and in two years you get picked again and you have to serve or you pay a fine.

Now the defendants are out of luck since the people that share their ethnicity all whipped out doctor's notes on why they can't serve for whatever reason. A lot of them were excused.