Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

do i need to call my auto insurance co. and let them know i'm driving to canada?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

do i need to call my auto insurance co. and let them know i'm driving to canada?

Old 03-14-06, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have new jersey manufacturers group insurance here in nj and i'm driving to canada thursday. I read somewhere that i might need a special insurance card to drive in canada. I am driving to montreal, quebec.
Old 03-14-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no, don't think so
Old 03-14-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: While in a foreign country, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. The information below concerning Canada is provided for general reference only, and may not be totally accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

Transport Canada is the Canadian federal government agency responsible for road safety, although each province or territory has the authority to establish its own traffic and safety laws and issue driving licenses. For detailed information on road conditions throughout Canada, as well as links to provincial government web sites, please see the Transport Canada website at http://www.tc.gc.ca or the Canadian Automobile Association web site at http://www.caa.ca. There are typically 3,000 vehicle-related fatalities in Canada each year. All forms of public transportation in Canada are generally excellent.

Driving in Canada is similar to driving in parts of the United States. Distances and speeds, however, are posted in kilometers per hour, and some signs, particularly in Quebec, may only be in French. U.S. driver's licenses are valid in Canada. Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a visitor in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. Unless otherwise posted, the maximum speed limit in Canada is 50km/hr in cities and 80km/hr on highways. On rural highways, the posted speed limit may be 100km/hr (approximately 60 miles/hr). Seat belt use is mandatory for all passengers, and child car seats must be used by children under 40 pounds. Some provinces require drivers to keep their headlights on during the day. Motorcycles cannot share a lane, and safety helmets for drivers and passengers are mandatory. Many highways do not have merge lanes for entering traffic. Illegal, rapid lane-changes without signaling and tailgating are common. Emergency vehicles frequently enter the oncoming traffic lane to avoid congestion. At intersections, directional signs will indicate only which turn is allowed; any other turn is prohibited. On the Island of Montreal and in Quebec City, it is prohibited to turn right on red. As in the United States, all emergency assistance in Canada can be reached by dialing 911.

Driving while impaired (DWI) is a serious offense in Canada. Penalties are heavy, and any prior conviction (no matter how long ago or how minor the infraction) is grounds for exclusion from Canada. Americans with a DWI record must seek a waiver of exclusion from Canadian consulates in the United States, which requires several weeks to process. It is illegal to take automobile radar detectors into Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, the Yukon or the Northwest Territories, regardless of whether they are used or not. Police there may confiscate radar detectors, operational or not, and impose substantial fines.

Winter travel can be dangerous due to heavy snowfalls and hazardous icy conditions. Some roads and bridges are subject to periodic winter closures. The Canadian Automobile Association (http://www.caa.ca) has tips for winter driving in Canada and American Automobile Association (AAA) members enjoy reciprocal privileges in the CAA. Drivers should be aware that the frequency with which motorists run red lights is a serious concern throughout Canada, and motorists are advised to pause before proceeding when a light turns green. Travelers should also be cautious of deer, elk and moose while driving at night in rural areas. Holiday periods can be dangerous because of increased traffic.

Travel along Highway 401 between London and Windsor, Ontario has been the scene of several traffic accidents due to sudden and unpredictable fog, and heavy truck traffic. This was the site of a 70-car collision in 1999 that claimed the lives of several individuals, including three American citizens. In addition, approaches to border crossings into the United States may experience unexpected traffic backups. Drivers should be alert, as lane restrictions at border approaches exist for drivers in NEXUS and FAST expedited inspection programs. For specific information concerning Canadian driving permits, mandatory insurance and entry regulations, please contact the Canadian National Tourist Organization at http://www.travelcanada.ca. For information about the NEXUS program, which provides expedited processing for trusted travelers, see the Department of Homeland Security website information page.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of the country’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety at http://www.tc.gc.ca.
Old 03-14-06, 10:56 PM

Me and a buddy of mine rented a car in Jersey to take a roadtrip to Montreal last summer. We told the rental company we were going to upstate New York so we wouldn't have to pay as much.

That doesn't answer your question but there you go.
Old 03-14-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doubt it.
Old 03-14-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No you don't.
Old 03-15-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by criptik28
Doubt it.
So 30 minutes before your post I post a piece saying that he does not have to and provide a link from the State departmnet. Yet you still feel the need to GUESS?!? Meh.

Old 03-15-06, 01:47 AM

"U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada."

This is what i read, so do i need to call? i'll call anyway. i read through all the paperwork i had on my policy but i dont think i need anything special.
Old 03-15-06, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
So 30 minutes before your post I post a piece saying that he does not have to and provide a link from the State departmnet. Yet you still feel the need to GUESS?!? Meh.

I doubt that I need to guess, but then I have driven in Canada.
Old 03-15-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just so you know, it's still dog sledding season up here. You'll need to yield to the dogs.