Reload this Page >

So my apartment was burgled yesterday

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The burglar kicked in my solid-wood door and made off with about fifteen hundred dollars worth of jewelry, basically all the good stuff I have except what I wear all the time -- which, thank God, includes my mother's engagement diamond and wedding ring and her Seiko watch, and a treasured mother of pearl ring from my favorite uncle.

My renter's insurance will cover the loss, financially at least, but of course I feel horrible. There's nothing quite like coming home to find every drawer dumped out and your underwear all over the floor, personal correspondence slung all over my bed, etc.

My landlord has already replaced both locks in my door and is adding a second deadbolt. He is also beefing up all three locks with metal plates that fit around the door and in the doorframe. Does anyone know of additional security I can use in an apartment? Are there alarming systems for doors?

Any advice would be welcome. I'm a woman who has lived alone for the greater part of her adult life and has never really been spooked before now.
Old 03-14-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.mul-t-lock-online.com/?gc...FUoRGgodI26V7Q

cost me $225 including installation, but they are the best locks. To make a new key you need to give them a code card. You can't just copy the key.
Old 03-14-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It probably was just some punk kid looking for stuff to trade for drug money. Sorry about your loss.

My advice would be to buy a house in a good neighborhood as soon as you can and get a security system for it. Make sure the insurance policy is sufficient etc. Meanwhile I'd probably just keep a gun under my pillow.
Old 03-14-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, I'm so sorry. Thank God you weren't home when it happened. I'm sorry for the loss of your things but also for the loss of your security...

I hope everything goes ok for you.
Old 03-14-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Big Dog
2. Big Gun
3. Midget In The Closet....With A Big Gun

-p
Old 03-14-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's also those cheap door knob alarms. Me and my friends had them in college when there was a string of burglaries in the dorms. You could hear them a floor above or below you when they went off.
Old 03-14-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
1. Big Dog
2. Big Gun
3. Midget In The Closet....With A Big Gun

-p
4. Midget In The Closet...riding on Big Dog....With A Big Gun
Old 03-14-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this happened. I hope they catch the punk who did this. I like the cheap door knob alarm idea. If you landlord is the attentive type he should agree to listen for it and investigate if it goes off.

However if you don't want to go with that i've got a few other ideas:

Swinging axe that come down after the door opens
Electrified door knob
Cardboard cutout of Chuck Norris in the room
A box labeled "crack cocaine" that explodes when opened

You're welcome
Old 03-14-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. just a copy of my last post
You can buy a usb web cam and then have it upload pictures to google mail account or some other place like maybe free space your ISP gives you. Sure you'll have to have your computer on all the time but hell a lot of people do that. A really good camera will cost you but you can get cheap one that is at least good in lighted areas.

2. If you go to places like target or loews hardware they do indeed have alarms you can fit on a door or windows. I have these really load things that stick on the windows and a motion detector alarm. Cheap crap that might scare someone off but maybe not. The only problem with it is sometimes I forget it is on and my poor ears take a hit.

3. I can come over and guard the place for $10/hour. I'll do it for free if you feed me and walk me around the block once a day. Oh yeah you would have to scratch behind my ears and rub my belly and say "your a good boy, baron" but in that voice women use to talk to babies. The only problem is sometime I get burglars and mailmen mixed up.

4. Guns are cool but I wouldn't get one if you can not take it with you. Otherwise someone will break in and steal your gun. I don't know of any good ways to lock a gun down in an apartment.

5. get to know your neighbors and have sex with them. I will bring my camera to film it all. This way they will be more apt to do something if they see someone breaking in to your place. People care more about people they know and they really care about people they have sex with. You really don't need me to film it but 'I don't have anything better to do so why not.
Old 03-14-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about that. I can relate to the feeling of being spooked as my last apartment was broken into. Hopefully your local police can do a better job at locating the culprit than mine were.
Old 03-14-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God that's horrible. I can feel your pain - I had my car stolen back in 2001 and it was a terrible experience.
Old 03-14-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Let's just hope the midget doesn't come out of the closet riding the big dog...

Old 03-14-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is your deductible? If you have a $1,000 deductible, then it might not worth turning in a claim.

If you main valuables are small items, you might think about a safe. You can get a good deal on a gun safe and put your jewels and important papers (most gun safes do a good job of protecting against small fires as well).

Be careful, if you had nice stuff the dude would probably realize you have insurance, wait a few weeks for you to replace it all and come back and get it again.
Old 03-14-06, 11:57 PM

The motion activated webcam is a good idea if it has a quick upload feature is, I haven't researched any of those.

GE SmartHome makes some very affordable stuff. I'd suggest some things like these:
-PIN controlled alarm $25
(1 door + 2 window alarms, add up to 24 sensors)
-Motion activated alarm $22 (If you don't have a cat!)
-Door Jam alarm $10

This is cool, too. You can control any lamp with this, it's great for safety but also very convenient at night.

If you combine everything, you'll have a door alarm, door jamb alarm, window alarms, and an interior motion sensor with 30 second delay. A few of those overlap, but that's a good thing. They're pretty cheap, too.

I'd also suggest hiding your valuable stuff. It might suck on a daily basis, but most burglars want to get in and out with as much as they can, so they check the usual places.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 03-15-06 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 12:26 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear dude, I'd definately look at installing an alarm.
Old 03-15-06, 04:16 AM

Also, for piece of mind until you get something, you can make a ghetto alarm.

Take an empty pop can (or two), rinse them and dry them. Put five or six pennies in each one. When you're in for the night, shove a strong piece of cardboard between the top of your door and the door frame. Put the penny cans on top. If anyone opens your door, you'll hear them hit the floor. Just make sure it's strong, or gravity could freak you out.
Old 03-15-06, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check local pawn shops to get your stuff back.
Old 03-15-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the advantages of not having anything is there's nothing to steal.
Old 03-15-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the support, you guys (oh, and for Fok, it's "dudette" ... lol).

I heard from the claims adjuster this morning and I should be getting a check in a couple days. I think American Family has been pretty decent considering that all this stuff was gifts and I have no receipts. I did give them names of the donors so they can confirm amounts with them at least from memory.

I have decided to use the settlement for a door alarm system for when I'm out and a bar lock to protect me when I'm at home.

Sometimes city livin' ain't like Marlo Thomas in "That Girl."
Old 03-15-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm so sorry that happend to you, check the local pawnshops and look for your items,you might find them there.
Old 03-15-06, 04:10 PM

dogs are the best protection. burglars never know how friendy they are and dont bother breaking in to houses with dogs living there.
Old 03-15-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That just plain sucks Vibiana, sorry to hear that. I'd also recommend a big dog and additional locking features.....Check here for some more useful ideas.....

Last edited by Minor Threat; 03-15-06 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sucks, yeah? When a house I was living in was broken into the assclowns knocked over two huge CD racks and flipped over a bunch of drawers. In fact, my sock drawer was stolen. There was a trail of socks out the back door and through the lawn. I couldn't help but laugh, especially since that is the last place I'd consider hiding any money. I hope you can find some way to bring back the feeling of security. I never had sleep problems in my life until that breakin.
Old 03-15-06, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I have decided to use the settlement for a door alarm system for when I'm out and a bar lock to protect me when I'm at home.
You may want to read your lease, most don't allow for extra locks or anything that would prevent the landlord (or fire department) from entering during an emergency. The alarm doesn't stop them from opening the door.
Old 03-15-06, 07:29 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Just echoing everyone else here, but dang, sorry to hear about that. As a single woman who's mostly lived alone, I can still only get an idea of how horrified you must have been...

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Are you talking about something like this? That's what I got for my last apartment (my last apartment in Seattle was a basement-entry mother-in-law apartment with ground-floor windows, YIKES!), along with some of those window alarms, etc. The door security bar seemed to work surprisingly well, maybe because I had it braced against linoleum.

I used to work in a cop shop, and had many chances to ask some of the sgt.s and up what they'd recommend, and they all suggested 1)a dog, 2)an alarm system, and 3)DO NOT get a gun, since it could be used against you, or stolen, etc.

Good luck, and thanks for the reminder about renter's insurance... lots of people don't even think about getting it until it's too late.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.