Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

do you talk on your cellphone while you drive?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if so, do you hold the phone to your ear, have a real hands free setup, or use a cheezy headset?
Old 03-14-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ibttsbapp.
Old 03-14-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't have a cellphone but when I use my wife's I hold it to my ear while I drive.
Old 03-14-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, and I hold it to my ear.
Old 03-14-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make a huge effort not to. If I need to make a call I pull over, and if I receive a call that might take more than a few seconds, I tell them to hang on while I pull over.
Old 03-14-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

I am lucky if I see 2 cars per mile where I am, so I just hold it to my ear.
Old 03-14-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I make a huge effort not to. If I need to make a call I pull over, and if I receive a call that might take more than a few seconds, I tell them to hang on while I pull over.
Do you keep the radio off while you drive, too?
Old 03-14-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Do you keep the radio off while you drive, too?
What does the radio have to do with having a conversation on the phone?

Anyway, I use a hands free set up since it is illegal in Chicago to actually hold the phone to the ear while driving.
Old 03-14-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will only use the phone while driving if 1) someone calls me 2) I really need to make a call. I used to have a nice earset but I lost it so it's back to my hand holding it to my ear for now.
Old 03-14-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flashback
What does the radio have to do with having a conversation on the phone?
Is there a difference between listening to someone talk on the radio and listening to someone talk on a phone?
Old 03-14-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm driving in town I don't talk on the phone I just let voicemail get it. If I'm on the freeway or an interstate I do talk on it. Plus I have a manual and it's a bitch (dangerous) trying to shift and hold a phone and drive at the same time.
Old 03-14-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
I will only use the phone while driving if 1) someone calls me 2) I really need to make a call.
Come to think of it, that's when I use my phone as well!
Old 03-14-06, 12:15 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If someone calls me, I will normally let it ring to VM, unless it's from someone I know who might call me with something urgent (wife, other family member, or work). If that's the case I'll hold with one hand and drive with the other and get off the phone as fast as possible, letting them know I'm driving. If I'm making a call, I use my headset so I'm hands free.
Old 03-14-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hold a cell jammer to my ear as I drive and laugh at the people in cars who lose there calls as I drive by.
Old 03-14-06, 12:18 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bushdog
I hold a cell jammer to my ear as I drive and laugh at the people in cars who lose there calls as I drive by.
So that was YOU?! You bastard.
Old 03-14-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use my phone much, but I'll answer it if it rings while I'm driving.
Old 03-14-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
Is there a difference between listening to someone talk on the radio and listening to someone talk on a phone?
Aren't there studies that show that talking on a cell phone while driving impairs you more than being drunk?

Has anyone done a study on whether listening to the radio while driving impairs you more than being drunk?
Old 03-14-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly, I'm on my phone quite a bit in the car. I don't know, I guess there isn't difficult traffic here, and it just seems like a good way to kill time between trips. I have an iPod connected to my car stereo and all of that, but it's usually a good way to talk to/catch up with people I wouldn't really take time out of my day otherwise to talk to. Also, there's always the conversation-ending "alright, well i'm there...gotta go" to keep things rather short and concise. I'm sure it's pretty bad in the long run, but like I said, traffic is pretty straightforward where I'm at.
Old 03-14-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FIFTH AMENDMENT [U.S. Constitution] - 'No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.'

The Fifth Amendment 'can be asserted in any proceeding, civil or criminal, administrative or judicial, investigatory or adjudicatory; and it protects against any disclosures which the witness reasonably believes could be used in a criminal prosecution or could lead to other evidence that might be so used.' Kastigar v. U.S., 406 U.S. 441, 44-45 ('72). A reasonable belief that information concerning income or assets might be used to establish criminal failure to file a tax return can support a claim of Fifth Amendment privilege. See U.S. v. Rendahl, 746 F.2d 553, 55-56 (9th Cir.'84).

The only way the Fifth Amendment can be asserted as to testimony is on a question-by-question basis. Rendahl, 746 F.2d at 555, citing with approval U.S. v. Bell, 448 F.2d 40, 42 (9th Cir.'71) (Fifth Amendment challenge premature on appeal from enforcement order; appellant must present himself for questioning after enforcement and as to each question elect to raise or not to raise the defense).
Old 03-14-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wait to make calls until I'm at my destination, but will answer if I receive any. I don't have the hands-free headset.
Old 03-14-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a bluetooth earpiece that I use now. I hate when people use the phone while driving and putting on make-up or reading the paper/eating bfast. Yes, I have seen people actally eating cereal while driving in the morning.
Old 03-14-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hold it to my ear. However, I'm still aware of the road and traffic around me. I don't get tunnel-vision like most dumbshits on the LA freeways.
Old 03-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you do, you should be locked up. Or shot. I'm sick of being in traffic jams because 4 people in front of me are yapping on their cell phones with a wide open freeway ahead of them.

I also have to dodge assholes on a daily basis who are on their cell phones, weaving all over the place because they're yapping. Who the hell do you HAVE to talk to at 8 o'clock in the morning? WHO?!??! It shouldn't be someone from work (since you're heading to work!). It shouldn't be someone from home (you just left there!).

There have been studies saying that talking on a cell phone while driving is the same as driving drunk. Well either drunk driving should be legalized, or driving while talking on cell phones should be illegal.
Old 03-14-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by melbatoast
I have a bluetooth earpiece that I use now. I hate when people use the phone while driving and putting on make-up or reading the paper/eating bfast. Yes, I have seen people actally eating cereal while driving in the morning.
I saw someone brushing their teeth once!
Old 03-14-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Aren't there studies that show that talking on a cell phone while driving impairs you more than being drunk?
I drive just fine when on the phone. I drive just fine after a few drinks too. It's all about the individual. If someone can't do both, they should only do one or the other.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.