Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Delay purchase to help commissioned sales person?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a furniture store yesterday and was helped by a friendly saleswoman who got the manager to cut a smallish deal on an already good price on a poster bed. I left the store not committing to buy until I could spend a little time looking online comparing prices and quality issues with this particular store. By the end of the night I decided I'd go back and buy the bed.

Issue: The saleswoman is off today and tomorrow. I doubt she'd get a commission if I went in and paid for the bed today. I'm probably going to wait until she comes back to work Thursday morning before going back to the store. Am I being too nice? Maybe I can go in and buy the bed today and she'd still get a commission? I don't really want to wait since I'm ready to purchase now.
Old 03-14-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd say call the store and ask. Or go in and tell them that such-and-such helped you the other day, you're done your comparison shopping, and want to get the bed.
Old 03-14-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm gonna call them at 10am and ask.

I'm curious if anyone here is a commissioned salesperson and what they think about helping someone who comes in another time and purchases from a different person.
Old 03-14-06, 08:17 AM

I had a similar situation when I purchased a couch. The day I decided to buy it (a couple days after I had looked at it) the salesperson was gone, but I just told the person ringing me out that I was helped by that individual and they just plugged her number in the computer so she got credited with the commission.
Old 03-14-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, Tommy Boy... seems to be the same case here. I called and they said she'd get the commission even though someone else will ring it up. Cool.
Old 03-14-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

people on commission usually help each other out in situations like this. If you are really concerned about it, call the salesperson when he's on duty to make sure he got his piece of the action.
Old 03-14-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a couch from La-Z-Boy and the young saleswoman came right out and asked me if I had been helped by someone the last time I was there. I said yes but I didn't remember her name. She had me go to the front of the store and look at their pictures of sales associates so I could point out who had helped me so that she could get credit for the sale. I was kind of impressed.

When I purchased my truck, I also went well out of my way to make sure that the initial sales person got the commission for the sale. In fact, the only reason I even purchased the truck through that dealer was because of that salesperson (and the promise that they would match any price from another dealer).
Old 03-14-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would do what I could to get the person credit, for about 5 minutes, but if it was either screw them over or wait two days, that would be an easy choice.
Old 03-14-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There generally is honor among sales people. Well, more like behavior derived from a repeated game in an attempt to maximize self interest, but they're usually willing to spread around as deserved.
Old 03-14-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinS
I just bought a couch from La-Z-Boy and the young saleswoman came right out and asked me if I had been helped by someone the last time I was there. I said yes but I didn't remember her name. She had me go to the front of the store and look at their pictures of sales associates so I could point out who had helped me so that she could get credit for the sale. I was kind of impressed.

When I purchased my truck, I also went well out of my way to make sure that the initial sales person got the commission for the sale. In fact, the only reason I even purchased the truck through that dealer was because of that salesperson (and the promise that they would match any price from another dealer).
I probably would have picked the best looking chick.
Old 03-14-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just do a Larry David move. Buy the couch from another salesman, and ask that salesman to give the woman her cut. When you see her next, I'm sure she'll thank you.
Old 03-14-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The actual 'selling' of the thing is probably the quickest/easiest thing; what you're paying for via the commission is the information and help from the salesperson, which assumes they have knowledge and spend time with you answering questions and trying to best fit your needs.
I have done this before, the sales guy who helped me gave me my card, so I would say "I want to buy this thing, and this guy sold it to me, even though you're ringing me up."
If s/he was *exceptionally* nice/helpful, and I had to buy it from her for her to get the commission, I'd wait the day or two if I could.
Old 03-14-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I would ask or wait. Being 100% commission, it sucks to get bird dogged.
Old 03-14-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd only go out of my way if the saleswoman was hot, otherwise what do I care?
Old 03-14-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've done that before at Sears. Went in one night looking to buy a washer, dryer, refridgerator, dishwasher, and stove. Didn't buy that night but ended up getting it a couple of days later from a different sales person. My wife (who is much more caring about things like that then I am) told the second sales person that the first salesperson already worked with us. He said that guy wasn't there and he would happily take the sale and the credit. A few days later we went back to Sears for something else and the first salesperson saw us and asked if we were going to buy, we told him another salesperson got the sale. I don't think he was happy about it but I wasn't going to work my buying schedule around his work schedule.
Old 03-14-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ben12
Just do a Larry David move. Buy the couch from another salesman, and ask that salesman to give the woman her cut. When you see her next, I'm sure she'll thank you.
Old 03-14-06, 03:24 PM

like others said, do what you can to get that person credit, but dont put it off for days if you want to purchase the thing right now. It's not your fault if the practices of that store and its associates are shady.

When I worked for a national department store chain years ago there were certain employees who would assure the customer that employee X would get the credit then just ring it for themselves. This led to some pretty unpleasant incidents as even a single sale could potentially bring in a lot of money for a young person. The problem was that management didnt do its job and allowed most of it to happen.
Old 03-14-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I worked on commission about 12 years ago and have found that sales people are a cut throat lot. Most will lie and tell you they are going to credit it to the original sales person and then take it all. I've found (from personal experience) that the best you can hope for is that they will split the commission with them. Most retail stores have the ability to enter at least two separate sales numbers and the $ gets divided.

I used to hate that. The store I worked at had a small computer department and I was the only one who knew even the slightest bit about them. A customer would come in and ask another salesman about a computer and they would call me over and have me explain it and basically make the sale. They would then expect half of the commission for basically talking to them for 30 seconds. This was back in 1994 when nobody knew anything about computers and it took 30 min. to 45 min. to make a sale. I ended up pissing everybody off by demanding half of the commissions they made while I made my sale. I started refusing to help any other sales person with a computer after that

BTW I will always try to make sure the original salesman gets at least half the credit. If you want to make sure the right person gets the commission, it will usually print out the name (or names) of the sales person on the reciept.
Old 03-14-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went in this morning and made the purchase to be delivered later. I watched them enter into the computer the saleswoman's name I dealt with earlier. I'll also call Thursday to makes sure she got it and to thank her (and listen to her funky British Guyana accent!). Another sales guy did ring up the order and I asked him how they did commissions like this and he said he gets a little for making the actual sale. I hope it's not 50% or I'll feel kind of bad about it.