Reload this Page >

switching tires, don't want to pay a bundle

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that summer is almost upon us I would like to switch my cold weather tires for my street performance summer ones. Switching to the winter ones was no big deal but I've had a 30k checkup since then and now the tires are on too tight I can't them off. (neither could the 2 young strapping lads I had helping me) I guess I need to go some place with a gun to get them off. The problem is they all seem to want a lot of dough. I called merchants they qouted me 163.
I called goodyear and their price was 127.
Would it be cheaper and better for me to get my own gun? or should I just keep calling all around town? Any recommendations on places to call? Any otter there have a gun for me to borrow?

thanks in advance
-b.
Old 03-13-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait a sec. They quoted you $150+ for swapping tires on the same rims or do you have seperate rims for the summer tires. Either way this shouldn't cost $50 tops. If that. My local joint changes tires for $3.00 per and balances $6.00 per.
Old 03-13-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would file a complaint with the place you used to install them. Overtightening creates a safety issue and also helps to destroy your brake rotors and lugs/studs.

Make them "loosen" the lugs for free.
Old 03-13-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did you try to use a breaker bar? i got a 2' breaker bar from autozone. in addition, i got a 5' pipe which went over the breaker bar, and i was finally able to loosen the lug bolt.

and i used a torque wrench to see how much it was torqued to, and it was over 150ft-lb (the max on my torque wrench). my wheels should only be torqued to 89ft-lbs

i hate using some of the tire places, because they don't really care about your wheels, and they'll mess up the rim, and if you don't watch out, they'll just shrug it off. latter, you'll notice and you'll be SOL. when i use a place, i make sure to watch them closely, and make sure that they use a torque wrench.
Old 03-13-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. Go back to the idiot place that tightened them.
Old 03-13-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
and i used a torque wrench to see how much it was torqued to, and it was over 150ft-lb (the max on my torque wrench). my wheels should only be torqued to 89ft-lbs

never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts, you acutally just ruined the accuracy of the wrench.

Also, it doesn't tell you what the bolts were torqued to, it just tells you how much torque it took to loosen them

How you check to see where they were is to slowly increase the torque gauge (1 or 2 at a time) on the wrench and continue to tighten the bolt until you feel it move BEFORE it clicks, then you know you are 1 lb over what it was tightened to.
Old 03-14-06, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most places will rotate tires for ~ $15 to $20. Just do that, but have them put on the new tires.

The new tires are already on rims and balanced, right?

Even if they weren't, the price is still too high. A couple of weeks ago I had my two front tires taken off of the rims, and two new tires that I had in my garage put on, then balanced / stems / old tire disposal etc. And then then they put these tires on the rear, rotating the two tires that were in back to the front. $28 for everything.

So... for what you are wanting, you should be looking at $15 to $20 if your new tires are on rims already or ~ $60 if they aren't.
Old 03-14-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The other tires are on rims already and ready to go. It's a quick swap job. Thats why I was concerned about the prices I was getting.
Im not sure what balanced means exactly. They've been sitting in my garage for 3 months so I dont think anything has happend to them out of the ordinary.
The 30K was at the dealer so I'm going to give them a call to see if they can loosen them up for me as a last resort. The dealer is out of the way for me, I didn't want to make the trek back to loosen some nuts. I agree that they shouldn't be this tight.
Katonburg, where in VA are you? That sounds like a real good price