Reload this Page >

Police catch motorcyclist going 155 mph

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think this guy should get for punishment? I-12 may go through some rural areas but it is still a fairly busy interstate at any point.

I say give the guy at least five years in jail and take away his license permanently.

Associated Press

LIVINGSTON -- A motorcyclist has been given a couple of days to think about the record he set -- at least in the minds of state troopers.

Brian Samuel Willis, 20, of Ponchatoula, was clocked zooming down I-12 on Sunday at 155 miles per hour -- more than two times the speed limit 70, state police said.

"That may be the fastest of all-time in the state," said Trooper Ryan Riley of Troop A. "I can't confirm it, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten anybody at 155. The fastest I know of is like 144."

Riley said he was traveling westbound about 6 p.m. when he got the motorcycle in his radar. Maneuvering his vehicle to the other side of the interstate, Riley tried to follow Willis, but the black Yamaha R6 ducked off the roadway onto state highway 441 and traveled south to state highway 42, Riley said.

At that point, Livingston Parish sheriff's deputies and Springfield police chased Willis back toward Riley, who made the arrest, he said.

"He pulled over once he saw all of us, without incident," Riley said. "He just said he didn't think he was going that fast and he didn't know we were behind him. He thought he was only doing 120 or 130."

Willis' motorcycle was impounded and he was booked in the Livingston Parish Prison for reckless operation of a vehicle, flight from an officer and speeding, Riley said.

"The judge refused to set the bond until Tuesday," Riley said. "I think she is going to let him spend a few days in jail."
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w....1f48be0a.html
Old 03-13-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, he thought he was only going 120 or 130. Jeeesh, give the kid a break.
Old 03-13-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe this young fellow has more than qualified for the Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" Award.

Perhaps he thought "55" was an ABBREVIATION for the proper speed limit.
Old 03-13-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think if he wasn't aware of the cops around him, he doesn't deserve to ride a motorcycle.

Riding a motorcycle requires more intense concentration and more awareness of the things around you than does a car.

Plus, that's really fast. I don't care about that. But if he isn't aware of stuff around him, he's a danger to others on the road.
Old 03-13-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't this same thing happen last year. Then there was a big debate about whether he could even go that fast on the bike. Hijinx ensued.
Old 03-13-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MotoGP speeds are usually between 155 mph and 200 mph. This guy was doing the speed that professional racers go in on closed roads.

At that point, not only is he a menace to anything he hits, but he's pretty much guaranteed to be vaporized if he hit anything.
Old 03-13-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone who has travelled in Europe has likely seen motorcyclists going at extremely high speeds. I can't vouch for 155, but I imagine it gets close. We were stopped at a contruction zone once, and a crotch rocket went flying past our car, in between us and the contruction. This was a space about 6-7 feet wide, and he was probably going close to 100, if not faster. You'll also see many accidents. One I witnessed resulted in the body literally landing hundreds of feet away from the bike.

This is crazy, I'm surprised we don't see more of this over here.
Old 03-13-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have also been known to travel westbound on I-12 at an excessive rate of speed to get away from Ponchatoula.

That just allows us to get to the wife's hometown of Lafayette even faster, which isn't a huge improvement.
Old 03-13-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Anyone who has travelled in Europe has likely seen motorcyclists going at extremely high speeds. I can't vouch for 155, but I imagine it gets close. We were stopped at a contruction zone once, and a crotch rocket went flying past our car, in between us and the contruction. This was a space about 6-7 feet wide, and he was probably going close to 100, if not faster. You'll also see many accidents. One I witnessed resulted in the body literally landing hundreds of feet away from the bike.

This is crazy, I'm surprised we don't see more of this over here.
Possible. Last time I was on the Autobahn (A1 & A2 in the Ruhrgebeit) we'd hit 200 to 220 km/h regularly. I know more than once we'd get passed by a Porsche or some Arschloch in a Ducati.
Old 03-13-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by printerati
I have also been known to travel westbound on I-12 at an excessive rate of speed to get away from Ponchatoula.
That must have been one fast horse that Indian chasing you was riding.
Old 03-13-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And to think it was just 14 years ago he was running around restaurants creating a ruckus.
Old 03-13-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say let him keep his license. He's more likely to die young that way.
Old 03-13-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 03-14-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, that's pretty quick. I almost bought an R6.
Old 03-14-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Nausicaa
...I can't vouch for 155, but I imagine it gets close. We were stopped at a contruction zone once, and a crotch rocket went flying past our car, in between us and the contruction. This was a space about 6-7 feet wide, and he was probably going close to 100, if not faster....
I lived in Germany for several years and recall fondly being stuck in a Stau on my way back to Berlin and noticing several fellow drivers opening their car doors to prevent such tomfoolery.
Old 03-14-06, 10:45 AM
Mod Emeritus

Why should he get any more than a standard DUI? Those guys are as big a menace as anyone and usually end up with jack shit for penalties.
Old 03-14-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I lived in Germany for several years and recall fondly being stuck in a Stau on my way back to Berlin and noticing several fellow drivers opening their car doors to prevent such tomfoolery.

I love the people coming back from vacation who set up picnic tables at the side of the road.

(For those that don't know, really bad traffic is called Stau in Germany and your car can be parked on the highway with thousands of others for miles at a time).
Old 03-14-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...63969053975339
Old 03-14-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That ghostrider video is awesome. When I saw 200+ on his speedometer I about died then I realized he was probably in Europe and using Km/h which is only 124ish. Still he is displaying alot of skill but in reality he could overtake the BMW easily if he wanted to.

I had my FZR600 to 140ish mph a couple of times on I-49 just to see what it was like. It is not all that scary. What is amazing is how fast you can get to 140mph when you are already at highway speeds. You know you are going fast but I would have thought maybe 80-90mph if I did not have my speedometer.

As far as the guy that got caught I don't see why he should be treated so severely for the speed alone. In reality there is little chance that he would hurt anybody but himself in an accident. I suspect they are pissed that he evaded the police.
Old 03-14-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
What do you think this guy should get for punishment? I-12 may go through some rural areas but it is still a fairly busy interstate at any point.

I say give the guy at least five years in jail and take away his license permanently.

WTH? Why? He didn't hurt a single person. 5 Years in jail for speeding? Sure.
Old 03-14-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A DUI doesn't always mean that the driver was actually driving recklessly.

There are plenty of drivers who are sober but have no business behind the wheel (or maybe for this case - handlebars).

I think it should go as:

reckless driving > DUI

DUI + reckless driving > reckless driving.

As for the bike not likely to have caused harm to others - think about the chain reaction effect. A motorcyclist is speeding at an absurd level on a public highway, comes up to a sharp curve and is unable to steer around and he ends up being clipped by a car on the side, then and since the biker was going 155 mph - he could easily spin out of control, cross the dirt section into the other lane, slam into a car, causing several other cars to crash into each other.
Old 03-14-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the bike not likely to have caused harm to others - think about the chain reaction effect. A motorcyclist is speeding at an absurd level on a public highway, comes up to a sharp curve and is unable to steer around and he ends up being clipped by a car on the side, then and since the biker was going 155 mph - he could easily spin out of control, cross the dirt section into the other lane, slam into a car, causing several other cars to crash into each other.
True, a scenario can always be imagined. He might cause an 18 wheeler to swerve, its load of logs breaks free and a massive pileup could happen (been awhile since I saw Final Destination 2). Anyway, statistically it just does not happen to any measurable degree....nearly all motorcycle accidents that have injuries involve the motorcycle driver and/or passenger.

Don't get me wrong...I am not condoning that excessive speed..only the potential severity of prison time on a presumably first offense. Also, this guy ran from the cops. That is a big no-no. So this story is about more than just speeding. He should have stopped and taken his punishment...not made it worse.
Old 03-14-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once got pulled over in Utah by a Mormon State Trooper for going 75 MPH over the speed limit.
Old 03-14-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

reckless driving > DUI
So, what, driving drunk is ok?
Old 03-14-06, 05:53 PM
Banned

Give the guy a break. I've been over 120 mph many times and I have had perfect control.

What is reckless exactly? Is it just a number? Or is it someone who doesn't give a crap about hurting other people? This guy had control of his motorcycle, and he stopped as soon as he noticed the police. He was honest. That isn't how a reckless person would act. A reckless person would have run. He clearly had the faster vechicle and could have out run them.

This is like two 10 year old children. One can climb trees very well. The other can't climb that high. Is it reckless for the first one to climb high? No. Is it reckless for the second to climb high. Yes.

We pass stupid laws in a one size fits all manner. How about a law that makes it illegal to drive under the speed limit in the left lane?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.