Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Sometimes I have to sign, sometimes I don't???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched and couldn't find anything. This usually comes up when I am buying lunch or something small with the credit/debit card and the clerk tells me that I don't need to sign for any purchase under $20 (ex. subway, wendy's).

Then, other places I do have to sign for purchases under $20 (ex.taco bell, arby's).

I just wish they would decide on one way or the other (hopefully not needing to sign) and have it be universal.

So, is there an explanation for this madness. Does it depend on the credit card machine provider? Is it up to the discretion of each store? Or is there some other regulation??

Just got back from lunch and was curious.
Old 03-13-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
So, is there an explanation for this madness.
It depends on if the retailer signs up and pays for the service.....
Old 03-13-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I like having to sign for fast food in the drive-thru(Carl's Jr.). It makes me feel like I'm in a Ritzy joint.
Old 03-13-06, 03:41 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought credit cards you have to sign and debit cards you do not?
Old 03-13-06, 03:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slightly off topic, why doesn't North America have pin's # on their credit cards like other countries?
Old 03-13-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i didn't have to sign at in-n-out today either.
Old 03-13-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always wondered about this. I've never had to sign for using my Amex at Starbucks.
Old 03-13-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It kinda scares me when I don't have to sign...

I remember years ago, the first time I didn't have to sign the statement was when picking up flowers, after I had phoned in my credit card. They gave me a receipt, but how do they verify that I'm the one who picked it up, and that it was actually my credit card? Not that a signature can't be forged, but at least it involves a little more of a check (pulling out ID, etc.) than nothing.

ON a separate note, how about three digit security codes that almost every online vendor asks for. How much harder is it for a credit card thief to steal those three digits, when they're already stealing all of the other info, especially if everyone makes me input it? How much more secure is it?
Old 03-13-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by fujishig
ON a separate note, how about three digit security codes that almost every online vendor asks for. How much harder is it for a credit card thief to steal those three digits, when they're already stealing all of the other info, especially if everyone makes me input it? How much more secure is it?
It's not the most effective thing in the world, but it helps prevent use of your number by diving into the trash for receipts or bills that might have your CC number on them, but obviously not the security code.
Old 03-13-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN
i thought credit cards you have to sign and debit cards you do not?

On a side note. I went to Wal-Mart the other day and they have a sign that says you have to show your ID for credit and debit purchases. Can they do that? I always use debit so I don't have to dig out my license. I thought the pin number was all you needed for debit transactions? In fact I remember seeing comercials several years ago about the convience of using debit instead of credit since you didn't have to sign or show ID.
Old 03-13-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
It kinda scares me when I don't have to sign...

It's more secure because it is only on the card. It is not printed on any receipt (granted most receipts are xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 now) and not printed on your statements that are mailed to you.
Old 03-13-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So is everyone's security code 783 like mine?
Old 03-13-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

starbucks never asks me to sign when i pay with my amex there

most times i don't even get a receipt
Old 03-13-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could have something to do with the floor limit of the establishment. If under a certain amount, the retailer's credit card provider isn't required to have a signature. This varies from merchant to merchant, based on the provider. Some fast food places may have no floor limit, while others may have it set at like $25.

Also, the numbers on the back (CVV #'s) are usually not viewable by the customer service agents for the institution either. So...a thief could maybe get around security for the card # and expiration date, but not the CVV#. You'd have ta order a card for that.
Old 03-14-06, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i didn't have to sign at in-n-out today either.
On my last trip to California, In-N-Out wouldn't let me pay with a credit card.

Chipotle doesn't make me sign either.
Old 03-14-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't sign at Boston Market and Qdoba.
Old 03-14-06, 11:19 AM

I don't have to sign at Noodles or Qdoba.
Old 03-14-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any retailer that wishes can provide the "no sign" service policy. It's simply a matter of contacting their credit card processing company and activating it. Each processing company will have different standards and some will even add fees which is why not everyone does it. Even at national chains it's not consistent unless they're on a national credit card program. This is why some Arby's will not have you sign (Dallas) and some will (San Antonio).
Old 03-14-06, 12:17 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
For some reason when I read this thread title I pictured a deaf person who only uses sign language when they "have to."
Old 03-14-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a reason for this, at least where i used to work:

If the transaction goes through as a credit card transaction (so... if your Debit Card has a MC/Visa/AMEX logo on it, it can go through their system for free) you have to sign it, because the computer sees it as a Credit Card transaction.

If it goes through as a Debit, generally you enter a PIN. Then it's not necessary for signatures.

Some places also never print out receipts and such (a poor business practice IMO), so you wouldn't have to sign there.
Old 03-14-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
There's a reason for this, at least where i used to work:

If the transaction goes through as a credit card transaction (so... if your Debit Card has a MC/Visa/AMEX logo on it, it can go through their system for free) you have to sign it, because the computer sees it as a Credit Card transaction.

If it goes through as a Debit, generally you enter a PIN. Then it's not necessary for signatures.

Some places also never print out receipts and such (a poor business practice IMO), so you wouldn't have to sign there.
Yeah but sometimes ya don't enter your PIN AND don't have ta sign. I think that is what the OP was asking. If not, well...that's what I responded to.
Old 03-14-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BassDude
Yeah but sometimes ya don't enter your PIN AND don't have ta sign. I think that is what the OP was asking. If not, well...that's what I responded to.
Yeah, I think that's what most of us are talking about. Major credit card, no signature.
Old 03-14-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BassDude
Yes, that's what I was asking, thanks for the clarification.

I always use my debit card as a credit card for purchases, don't enter PIN or signature at some places. Looks like it's from the credit card machine provider. Damn fees, why can't they make them all no sig. required, atleast for small purchases.
Old 03-14-06, 04:54 PM

I use a credit card and not a debit card and at those certian places they don't make you sign.

I guess it makes sense since you don't have to sign at the gas pump.