Reload this Page >

Getting cheap Comcast cable TV?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that this has been asked before, but never really answered...

Comcast.com had some great deals on their website 3 weeks ago to get digital cable. In the area of $29.99 and $39.99 for 'Digital Silver'. They have since pulled these offers.

Are there any token phrases or things I can mention to Comcast when ordering service to get them to cut me a deal?

My girlfriend has moved into a new Apartment, and wants to get ESPN and a DVR.

One CSR at Comcast offered me a very good deal for Digital Silver with HBO for 1 year for $39.95/month as a "Dish Buy Back" promotion, if we had a Satellite provider previously. (She did have Dish Network, but it was at her parents). The CSR said when they come to install the cable, the would collect our old satellite box. This would not work, because her parents are still using their Satellite System back in Michigan.

Any ideas guys?

If I could get her Cable TV (something with locals and ESPN) AND DVR for $50 or so a month that would be great!

Oh and we live in Delaware...

Last edited by Sominex; 03-13-06 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suppose we could let Comcast know she HAD Dish network back in MI, and wants to get it again here in Delaware, and see what prices they will offer her to get her business.

DISH network doesn't let you keep the equipment, so they couldn't really expect to 'take the old receiver', and she really did have Dish network, so it's not a lie either...
Old 03-13-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ideas? Look for another company. We just got it a month or so ago (after signing up in NOVEMBER for it), and it's been the most horrible experience of my life.

But... *sigh*... if you're looking for deals, it seems to me the best way is to get to a sales person (more than likely at a kiosk somewhere) and talk to them. They REALLY want you to sign up, and go to lengths to do so. Be aware that after the special prices go away, it'll be quite a hike.

I personally know one out of about ten people personally who doesn't have a gripe with Comcast.
Old 03-13-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

reverie: There isn't another cable company. The only choices are Comcast, Dish, or Direct TV. I'm still thinking of getting rid of cable altogether (or dropping it down to $20).
Old 03-13-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
reverie: There isn't another cable company. The only choices are Comcast, Dish, or Direct TV. I'm still thinking of getting rid of cable altogether (or dropping it down to $20).

Exactly. As he out it reverie, she has no options for cable, it's a monopoly in this part of DE. She doesn't have a deck on her apartment so a satellite is out of the question.

Thanks for the input though. Where would one find one of these "kiosks"? Sounds like a good enough idea to give it a shot. I see kiosks in the malls for tons of things, but never for Comcast though

Thanks for the input so far guys!
Old 03-13-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting rid of cable wouldn't be such a bad thing. Actually, the only reason we have it is because it'd be the same price with or without it for our internet. It never gets watched anyway. She can have ours (well, then again, it's as basic as it gets)!

If they're not in the malls, try Circuit City or Best Buy if you're by one while out and about. Good luck!
Old 03-13-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, and depending on what you find initially, you could always just tell them that "x" company offered you "y" deal, and ask them if they can do better. Even if you hadn't talked to another company. I was actually told this by a Comcast sales person. I don't think I'd make it too outrageous of a deal if you choose this path.

This message will self destruct in five seconds...
Old 03-13-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by reverie
I personally know one out of about ten people personally who doesn't have a gripe with Comcast.
I have no gripe.

I only have their most basic cable package (not even listed on their site) for $12.95 of something, reduced to $2.95 since I have high speed internet through them.

The only complaints I've had about Comcast were intermittent internet service at our old apartment over several months. But that ended up being the fault of faulty wiring within the building, not the line coming to the building.

No problems at all since we moved into the house about 2 years ago. Not a one.

As was mentioned... you will probably be able to get special pricing up front (if not, wait a week- they have offers like this ALL the time). But after a few months you're going to go back to the full rate, so don't over-commit with your plan.
Old 03-13-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the times the comcast person doesn't care if you don't have a dish to give them. worst comes to worst tell them it got tossed with your bulk pick-up garbage. You could always pick up an old one from a recycling service like FreeCycle / FreeSource. There are plenty of people giving away old equipment.

-p
Old 03-13-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Most of the times the comcast person doesn't care if you don't have a dish to give them. worst comes to worst tell them it got tossed with your bulk pick-up garbage. You could always pick up an old one from a recycling service like FreeCycle / FreeSource. There are plenty of people giving away old equipment.

-p
Ok, cool...

I might just try and give this a shot.

The worse that could happen is they leave, and not install it.

F' em! I'll give it a shot
Old 03-13-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK,

I called them and they had a few deals, but the guy was new and wasn't too sure.

Both the main deals he told me revolved around "The Dish Win Back" program.

One of them gave you the deal I mentioned above, the other was something about a "$400 credit".

But regardless he said I would have to give them some kind of satellite equipment when they got here.

From what I remember in the past... I think the trick is to KNOW what promotion to mention.

They are sitting there staring at a whole bunch of promotions, but won't give them to you unless you mention them. Some of them are advertised, some are not

Anyone know of any I could mention?
Old 03-13-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Offer your first born for a free year....they are Comcast, they'd at least consider it.

-p
Old 03-13-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Offer your first born for a free year....they are Comcast, they'd at least consider it.

-p
That barely gets you Starz.
Old 03-13-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buy a cheap dish on Ebay..and trade it in.....just the dish..give it to the guy when the come to install it. I actually did that..it was worth the $30 bucks I paid for it. They don't ask for the box, its mostly just a form they have to check. I bet they throw the dish away.
Old 03-13-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sominex
Ok, cool...

I might just try and give this a shot.

The worse that could happen is they leave, and not install it.

F' em! I'll give it a shot
Did u try this? Did it work? I don't think they'll get too upset if you just tell the installer that your wife/ex/kid/whoever threw the thing out.
Old 03-14-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I took everyone's advice...

The Results:

I spoke with a CSR who was new to the company who knowingly or unknowingly read me some of their unadvertised deals. One of them was them was perfect.

"Digital Non Subscriber Promotion"

Digital Silver with free HBO for 6 months. $29.99/month

I called back last night and mentioned it, and got it right away. Added the DVR for $9.95 per month.

Not bad at all....

It's all about mentioning the key phrases

Thanks everyone!

They are supposed to come install it Friday
Old 03-14-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NEXT, we'll be getting her Comcast High Speed Inernet

CompUSA seems to have a good deal.

$19.99/month for 6 months, Free cable modem, Seld-Install Kit and a $50 CompUSA gift card.

Anyone know of any other deals out there?