Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Should kids run around restaurants? My friend says yes!!!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Is it okay for kids to run around a restaurant?
Yes-they're kids
1.87%
No-not acceptable
93.93%
Undecided-maybe if they are quiet?
1.40%
I don't vote in polls
2.80%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been telling a friend about a restaurant that's good and cheap-they even have free kid's meals.

So today they take their two little kids and he said "They weren't
too kid friendly-they told Josh to stop running around!"

This is a Chipotle type of Mexican restaurant so it's not that fancy. But still would you like it if some kid was running around and being loud?

This was my email response:

"Well maybe they're more friendly to people that don't want to see/hear kids
running around and want to enjoy their meal in peace!"

Was I too hard on him, too soft or just right?

We've been to a few places with them and his six-year-old just runs around and is very loud. Now the two-year-old is getting into the act.

Our kids try to do the same but we make them stay sitting. I know I never enjoy seeing kids do such a thing.

Their take is "they're just being kids and people should deal with it. That's how kids are." And I know they think we're too strict. No doubt we're stifling the creative spirit deep inside the child.

Whaddya think?

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 03-13-06 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 02:44 AM

I personally can't stand tykes running all over the place and being obnoxious while I'm eating. If your friends want to throw parenting out the window for the night, they should take them to Chuck E Cheese's or a place with a more appropriate atmosphere where that type of behaviour is acceptable.

Judging by the description of the restaurant, I don't think you were out of line with your response, at all. Too strict? Stifling the creative spirit of the kiddies? Pfft, it's about common courtesy.
Old 03-13-06, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I voted unacceptable. If it is a kid-oriented restaurant, then by all means let them tear the place up, but if is a regular restaurant then the kids need to learn how to sit still for a while. Liquor helps.

This reminds me of an old MadTV skit where parents took their daughter to a nice restaurant and she was completely out of control, but they just accepted every horrible thing she did as her creative spirit or general playfulness. It sounds like these friends of yours are close to that already.
Old 03-13-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The world is full of places called "public parks". Tell them to get their food to go and head to one. If I wanted to see kids running around while I eat, I'd sit in McDonald's playhouse.

I'm ok with some general goofiness on the way in and out, but not throughout the meal.
Old 03-13-06, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Whaddya think?
Tell your friend he isn't doing his children any favors by raising them to be little out-of-control bastards. I have plenty of friends with young children, all of whom are taught that there is a proper way to behave not only in public, but during dinner. Your friend shows little respect for others. I can only imagine what he and his brood are like in a movie theater.
Old 03-13-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Their take is "they're just being kids and people should deal with it. That's how kids are."
Whaddya think?
I think your friends are jerks, who should be neutered before they reproduce again.
Old 03-13-06, 04:36 AM

Was I too hard on him, too soft or just right?
I can't believe you let him live.

One of the few things in this world that actually bothers me is parents that can't control their kids. Restaurants aren't playgrounds, even McPlayland is outside. Kids should be carefully grown in pods until age 10, they make too much noise before then.
Old 03-13-06, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you should only go out to eat with your white friends
Old 03-13-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they should take their kids to logans steakhouse, they would fit right in over there
Old 03-13-06, 06:56 AM

Their take is "they're just being kids and people should deal with it. That's how kids are." And I know they think we're too strict. No doubt we're stifling the creative spirit deep inside the child.
Kids should be allowed to run around restraunts only when it is ok for me to walk up to someone elses kid and smack the little hellbeast upside the head for annoying me. I don't see how letting them run wild is releasing any creativity.

Please don't get me wrong. I love children, especially the younger ones, they taste like veal.

Last edited by DaveCole; 03-13-06 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-13-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
When, all of a sudden, they notice their little darlings aren't running about rampant, let them know it's because I have taken them out to the parking lot and sold them to a pair of disreputable looking fellows.
Old 03-13-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This behavior is unnaceptable. If it would have been me when younger, the shit would have been beated out of me and I would do the same now if I had a kid behaving like this. If I was in the restaurant the parents would have gotten a little puertorican fist salad in their face.
Old 03-13-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
This behavior is unnaceptable. If it would have been me when younger, the shit would have been beated out of me and I would do the same now if I had a kid behaving like this. If I was in the restaurant the parents would have gotten a little puertorican fist salad in their face.
You know, I read that 3 or 4 times trying to figure out what it was. My problem: I was reading it as puer-torican, kind of like his-torian. It didn't make sense to me.

Now, I know.
Old 03-13-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveCole
Kids should be allowed to run around restraunts only when it is ok for me to walk up to someone elses kid and smack the little hellbeast upside the head for annoying me.
Exactly. Or a foot that "accidentally" slips out into the aisle as the kid is running by. Or better yet, the old clothesline maneuver. Come on, I'm just being playful.
Old 03-13-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Close vote.
Old 03-13-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kids should not be TAKEN to restaurants until they are old enough to sit quietly and wait to be served like adults do. Where people got the idea that the Peppercorn Duck Club at the Hyatt Regency is a place for little Meegan or Joshua to have dinner with the family is beyond me.
Old 03-13-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Does anyone know of any good Taser-friendly restaurants?
Old 03-13-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't vote in polls

But if I did, I side with the folks that kids should only be taken to places where they can be dropped into the snake-infested ballpit for the duration.
Old 03-13-06, 09:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the restaurant, I suppose. Some place like Wendy's or Applebees, I expect it, but a nice restaurant, no. Actually, I don't think children should be allowed in nice restuarants at all.
Old 03-13-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a father of a 3 year old, I try not to take him anywhere that isn't kid-friendly. And when I do, he stays in his high chair until it's time to leave.
Old 03-13-06, 09:51 AM

um no... unless it's chucke cheese. also a crying baby is one of the most annoying sounds i ever heard in my life.
Old 03-13-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Some place like Wendy's or Applebees, I expect it, but a nice restaurant, no.

What was that sound? Oh, it was the sound of the Applebees marketing department passing out for being compared to burger joints and Chuck E Cheese.
Old 03-13-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whaddya think?
I think that you were a bit soft on them.

Their attitude about it reveals a self-centeredness that is going to bite them in the end. I know the type.

They believe that the world revolves around their little Johnny. Little Johhny is the center of the family. They'll be the kind of parents who lash at teachers when little Johhny gets a referral slip sent home from school... because after all their little Johnny is a "wonderful child". They'll be the kind of parents who are in the coach's face when little Johnny isn't the starting pitcher for the little league team...because after all little Johnny is THAT good.

They'll be the kind of parents who will change the family schedule, postpone vacations, family game nights, etc. so that little Johnny can participate in travel soccer tournaments. They'll be the kind of parents who complain that they have to work harder and longer hours to "make ends meet" when in reality it is simply to lavish the latest fashions and gadgets on little Johhny.

They'll be the kind of parents who wonder why little Johhny (who isn't so little anymore) doesn't respect them.

I've seen it happen time and time again....and it always starts with permissive parents allowing their children to run amok in public places.
Old 03-13-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As already stated, it's unacceptable except for kiddie restaurants like Chuck E. Cheese.

Even in fast food joints, I don't need to be tripping over someone else's out-of-control children.

And don't bring infants to a nice restaurant. Ever. Or I use my salad fork on its soft skull.
Old 03-13-06, 10:04 AM

Of course they should be allowed to run around restaurants (I assume we're talking about one of those "shoot and cook your own game" places).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.