Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you call a real estate agent at home on a Sunday?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Would you call a real estate agent at home on a Sunday-that you weren't working with?
Yes, it's part of their job.
70.00%
No, it doesn't seem right.
20.00%
Don't know.
10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get this a lot. People who are not currently clients of mine (or are admittedly clients of someone else) call me at home on Sunday to ask questions about a place. I rarely answer the phone on Sunday anyway, unless I know who it is, but I also don't ever call people back that leave a message. I had a call today that was from a guy that said, "I am a customer trying to locate the address for MLS# XXXXX" and he sounded very irritated that I was not sitting near the phone to answer him. I didn't even listen to the whole message, just deleted it.
Old 03-13-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have no problems calling a RE agent on Sunday. None at all. It's part of their job.

That being said - RE agents in Australia probably work differently than they do in the US.

Saturday and Sunday are their big "show" days/exhibitions and the majority of them will take their day off during the week. And of course, they'll only have their work mobile phone as a contact (don't know any who advertise their home number - and to call that is just rude), so if they aren't working that weekend, I guess they'll simply turn it off and it becomes a mere contact point for the next working day.
Old 03-13-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought they mostly worked on Sundays.

You know, showing open houses, not because they think someone would actually buy it, but because they're looking for new commissions.
Old 03-13-06, 04:37 AM

You have time to sell houses between dog whispering sessions?
Old 03-13-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I was going to start calling you on Sundays to see how to take care of rampant dogs and mold. Now that I see how you are about it, I shall not!
Old 03-13-06, 08:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My wife who is a Re/Max agent takes calls 7 days a week all the way up to 10:00 PM at night. Yes, she does get calls that late. She has even got calls on Christmas Eve and once on Christmas Day!. The Christmas day was late in the afternoon though. The life of living with a realtor.
Old 03-13-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I thought they mostly worked on Sundays.

You know, showing open houses, not because they think someone would actually buy it, but because they're looking for new commissions.
Yeah. A real estate agent shouldn't even BE home on Sunday.
Old 03-13-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would you call a real estate agent at home on a Sunday-that you weren't working with?

Lazy or unemployed.
Old 03-13-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Since kvrdave lives out in what I imagine to be a landscape very similar to that in The Hills Have Eyes or Mad Max I don't think there's too many people.

I don't mind if people call me on a Sunday because if someone is calling me, it means they are my customer. About two years ago I actually had a business meeting at noon on Christmas Day. About three weeks ago I took a call at around 11:00 pm.

I've read on a number of different trade magazines (in various industries) that the most important thing is communication. For many people, this means being able to reach you whenever, wherever. They will often prize that above a lot of other things.

If I get a call when it's not convenient, if I can answer it I will and just tell the person I will call them back. That's always better than just getting voicemail, and it only takes me 30 seconds or so to do it.
Old 03-13-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't call people back that leave you messages? So if a potential customers calls you while you are out showing a house to somebody else and leaves you a message, you don't call 'em back?
Old 03-13-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Waaaahhh... I'm a realtor, and people that might make me thousands of dollars keep bothering me.... Waaaaaahhhhhhh!

Old 03-13-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to be a weekend receptionist at a realty brokerage. The agents I knew would call FSBO people at 7 AM on Saturday trying to talk them into listing with the brokerage. Therefore, wanting Sunday off seems excessive to me, kvrdave.
Old 03-13-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Waaaahhh... I'm a realtor, and people that might make me thousands of dollars keep bothering me.... Waaaaaahhhhhhh!
Exactly.

Frankly it is a little odd that a real estate agent doesn't work on a Sunday here in civilization.

And like The Bus, I usually take client calls whenever the fuck they want to call me. If you are perceived as responsive, you have a client for life. I've taken calls at 11 at night, on vacation, while I'm shopping in a mall, etc.... But then, you might be too good for these people's business.

Of course I've had crazy clients who I've had to ditch who would abuse my flexibility. It is all about finding the right balance.
Old 03-13-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Exactly.
I thought I was on your ignore.

Old 03-13-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Suck it up Dave. It's part of the job. I suppose you could leave some morally superior message on your machine like " I am a churchgoing Christian, and I don't work on Sundays, call back on Monday", but you would lose even more business that way.
Old 03-13-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
" I am a churchgoing Christian, and I don't work on Sundays, call back on Monday"
Cmon. It's dave, not Chik-fil-A.
Old 03-13-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a Realtor and I take calls up til 9pm any day of the week. It's part of the job of a Realtor. Like the money, but don't like the hours??? Tough luck buster! Get a new job. We're in the service industry - we don't work 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Dave is just able to do this because he has other peons under him who do take those calls and he gets part of their commissions.
Old 03-13-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tcoursen
You don't call people back that leave you messages? So if a potential customers calls you while you are out showing a house to somebody else and leaves you a message, you don't call 'em back?
I don't call people back that leave me a message at my home, and whom I have never worked with before.

Hmmmm, it is obvious that I am in the minority here. I suppose if I needed more business I would worry about this. And it isn't that I won't work on a Sunday, though I never do open houses. It is that I don't talk to new clients on a Sunday.

Do people call up insurance agents that they don't currently work with on a Sunday and try to get a new policy? I mean, I have an office for a reason.

But I suppose it shouldn't be surprising. I have had people call me at home (again, who have never worked with me) and expect me to jump into my car and haul them all over the county on a Sunday, and I tell them that I'm not working today (back when I use to answer the phone, or when I don't see the caller ID). Some seem like they can't believe it. Some tell me that it is my job, and I usually point out that I don't work for them, I am self employed, and my job isn't on Sunday unless people have made a prior appointment.

But I also don't take calls after 8pm, and rarely do I take calls at home anyway.
Old 03-13-06, 12:45 PM

If they are not your client, how do they get your home phone number?
Old 03-13-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
If they are not your client, how do they get your home phone number?

Exactly. You must advertise your home number (business card, web site, etc.). If you don't want calls at home, don't publish your number. Duh.
Old 03-13-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't call people back that leave me a message at my home, and whom I have never worked with before.
Well that makes sense. I would never call a real estate agent on their home number, even if it was something that they published. Leaving a message for them on their business line should be sufficient. If they are working that day, they will call you back.
Old 03-13-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On Sundays - just forward your phone to a real estate agent who wants to make money. Most people wanting to buy or sell a house have jobs during the week so Sunday is ideal for them to want to handle the home sale stuff. It's like a preacher saying he doesn't understand why his church gets so dang busy on sundays when he'd rather be fishing or watching re-runs of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Old 03-13-06, 01:23 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Poor kvrdave got schooled in this thread.

Kudos for having the balls to delete the message of a potential customer, but I'd expect a Realtor to be available on a weekend or after 5pm which is when my available time to work on buying or selling property starts.
Old 03-13-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the time I have spent buying/selling houses has been on the weekend. I have a full time job and unless I take leave I have no other time to look for a fricken house.

I will only work with an agent that is available Saturday/Sunday.
Old 03-13-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
On Sundays - just forward your phone to a real estate agent who wants to make money. Most people wanting to buy or sell a house have jobs during the week so Sunday is ideal for them to want to handle the home sale stuff. It's like a preacher saying he doesn't understand why his church gets so dang busy on sundays when he'd rather be fishing or watching re-runs of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Excellent idea!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.