Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

2-week old car and already a door ding! ?s...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came out of Target today and noticed someone had door-banged/cart-banged the passenger front door on my brand new Mazda3. It's very small, and isn't really noticeable unless you view it from the right angle, but it still bugs the hell out of me. And as you can see, they even took a piece out of the side trim. What would be the cheapest way to go about fixing this? Since the dent really isn't significant - more of a ripple - how will they have to repair that? And as for the trim (is that the correct name for it - 3rd pic), will that need to be replaced, and if so, is that something a complete novice like myself could do with relative ease?

Should I turn it in to my State Farm agent? Need some advice.

Old 03-12-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See if these guys have a location near you

http://www.dentwizard.com/locationsusen

If not, then search in your area for "paintless daint repair" companies

they should be able to take the ding out for less than $100, they might be able to fix the trim piece for you as well.

This just goes on my list as another reason why I fucking hate people. I am sure some dipshit was too lazy to return the cart or something so they left it there to smash into someone's car. Who gives a fuck, it's not my car that will get hit
Old 03-12-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I cannot F'ing stand people!
Old 03-12-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't report to insurance since too many no-fault claims will cause your rates to go up. I usually try to park away from the entrance since that is where most people park. i've also had good luck parking between cars so only the rear of my car is exposed
Old 03-12-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this would be my first no-fault claim.
Old 03-12-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the dent in the first and second pics should be able to be sucked out w/o much problem. for the door trim piece, see if you have the option of going with the rubber black trim, commonly offered with euro-spec cars. those pieces are the most prone to getting dented. the problem is if you buy it from the dealer, it probably wouldn't be painted. and even if you restore it back to the original apperance, with time, it'll most likely get damaged anyways.
Old 03-12-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That suck. I got a door ding too in my new car. I think some asshole in Costco did it.
Old 03-12-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

buy those rubber things that you glue on all around your car that take it when something like a shopping cart hits you
Old 03-12-06, 04:03 PM

My car was sitting in a parking spot just minding it's own business about 2 weeks ago when someone just smashed into it. We didn't have any cars parked around us. We came out of Jason's Deli and saw it. The idiot just hit our brand new car & took off. The entire bumper had to be replaced on the car. We called the police and the idiot policeman who came tried to convince us not to file a police report b/c it would make our insurance go up. :thumbs down:
Old 03-12-06, 04:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Next time get a car with a plastic body and you will not get dings. At most you get left a little of the other person's paint which rubs right off.
Old 03-12-06, 04:24 PM

this will be the first of many...get used to it, people have no respect for other people's stuff. I used to worry about it when I got a new car and then more and more kept appearing. Not much you can do besides parking far away from everyone and sometimes that isn't even possible.

BTW I was parked somewhere before and someone dented in my whole front quarter panel on my car, they left without leaving a note or anyting...big surprise! No respect
Old 03-13-06, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of shitty, huh? The dent should be cheap to fix, the trim probably will be as well. I would not contact your insurance company over it, though.
Old 03-13-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would I just have to order the trim thru the dealership? And is it something I can replace myself without much difficulty?
Old 03-13-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Would I just have to order the trim thru the dealership? And is it something I can replace myself without much difficulty?
yeah, you can order it thru the dealership. replacing it isn't too hard. it might come unpainted though. check with them before ordering.
Old 03-13-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am proud of all my door dings, scrapes and scratches (several of which I received in the first month of ownership). I don't let such trivial things affect my sunny disposition. Show 'em off like war wounds and make up fantastic stories about each one.
Old 03-13-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 1999 truck is still ding-free because I park away from the all other cars whenever possible. I often see people with brand new cars squeeze into a tight parking spot, making it hard to not avoid another door touching it. Granted, there are many fucking craphats that don't care, but sometimes you need to park further out and walk a few extra feet.
Old 03-13-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is why I don't park next to other cars.
Old 03-14-06, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option would be to injure yourself enough to need a handicapped placard. You'll get the best parking available.