Reload this Page >

Best Bank In Chicagoland Area?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-12-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a little tired of my current bank (First Midwest), which I have had some issues with. Does anybody have any reccomendations for a bank in the Chicagoland area (I am in the noth side, by Rosemont, Des Plaines to be exact). All I really need is a savings account and a free checking account. Definately want something with free online banking as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My family has been banking with Lasalle for over 30 years and they're great. All the relationship bankers I've dealt with have been very very good. I'm a 2nd generation customer with them and we have a checking and savings account (used to have a money market until we bought our house) and don't have any problems. Their online banking is never down and free billpay works for us pretty well (so long as you make your payments a week before the due date).

Plus, Lasalle hasn't had the need to merge with any other banks for a very long time. So there's less chance of policies changing overnight with them.

Stay away from banks that are springing up like crazy around here like Washington Mutual. My home loan was sold to them and the branches are set up like currency exchanges, run by new college grads who don't know what they're doing.

The only drawback is that it takes a bit of time to set up the online account, maybe two weeks? But that was over 6 years ago so maybe they've improved on that.
Old 03-12-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use Parkway
Old 03-12-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anything but Bank One. I have accounts at Harris and Citi.
Old 03-12-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Hiro11]Anything but Chase.QUOTE]

fixed
Old 03-12-06, 12:53 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Stay away from banks that are springing up like crazy around here like Washington Mutual. My home loan was sold to them and the branches are set up like currency exchanges, run by new college grads who don't know what they're doing.
Give them time to learn the new system. And it'll be fine.

WaMu is all over Chicago. And there is a branch in Des Plaines as well as Niles, Mt. Prospect and in just about every town near Des Plaines. And they have free checking, free savings, and free online banking. And they generally have excellent service (once those new college grads learn the new system).
Old 03-12-06, 12:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay away from Harris
Old 03-12-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty happy with LaSalle. I used to be with BankOne, but I switched -- primarily due to branch locations, not because I was dissatisfied with BankOne.
Old 03-13-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what is wrong with bankone/chase?
Old 03-13-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help so far. I think I might check out LaSalle, as they also have a location less than a mile from where I work.
Old 03-13-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, Lasalle hasn't had the need to merge with any other banks for a very long time. So there's less chance of policies changing overnight with them.
Actually, LaSalle is owned by ABNAmro, a very large Dutch bank. Their banks outside of the Chicagoland area are known as ABNAmro and not LaSalle -- only because LaSalle has excellent goodwill in this area.

(Have you noticed the yellow and blue shield on the LaSalle Bank logo? That is ABNAmro's logo. They are slowly introducing ABNAmro to Chicagoland customers. I would not be suprised if they change their name in the next 3-5 years)
Old 03-13-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
what is wrong with bankone/chase?
I have had zero problems in 5 years with them. Savings, Checking, CDs, HELOC, the works.

Now TCF are chock-full of idiots.
Old 03-13-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Actually, LaSalle is owned by ABNAmro, a very large Dutch bank. Their banks outside of the Chicagoland area are known as ABNAmro and not LaSalle -- only because LaSalle has excellent goodwill in this area.

(Have you noticed the yellow and blue shield on the LaSalle Bank logo? That is ABNAmro's logo. They are slowly introducing ABNAmro to Chicagoland customers. I would not be suprised if they change their name in the next 3-5 years)
Interesting. If Marshall Field's can get phased out, no name is safe. Sad, really. The ABNAmro Bank Chicago Marathon just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I just read up on the bank's history here.
Old 03-13-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
I have had zero problems in 5 years with them. Savings, Checking, CDs, HELOC, the works.
Me neither, 1st Bank, BankOne, Chase and whatever the name will be this week. I have been using them for 13 years now. Bank of America has also been making a large push in this area (meaning Chicago) not sure about the sticks.
Old 03-13-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. If Marshall Field's can get phased out, no name is safe. Sad, really. The ABNAmro Bank Chicago Marathon just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I just read up on the bank's history here.
Back between 2001 to 2003 I used to work with ABNAmro (not LaSalle Bank, but the more 'corporate' people) as they were a client of mine. You would slowly see the ABNAmro culture seeping into the enviroment. Things move slower, contracts that were once neogiated in Chicago or New York are now handled out of Europe (Amsterdam I believe). It's sad to see a corporation move in that 'big bad business' direction, but it was inevitable.

Also, as ABNAmro bought up a lot of businesses here in Chicago there were a ton of leases -- they finally built their own building in the West Loop area. (I don't know the address, but it's across the street from 550 W Washington, and incredibly close to the Metra stations). This building is their Chicago headquarters. I've never been there (except the Starbucks downstairs) but it appears nice.
Old 03-13-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TCF FREE Checking all the way; I don't do much banking, so it's great for me.
Old 03-13-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by huzefa
TCF FREE Checking all the way; I don't do much banking, so it's great for me.
My girlfriend is a store manager for a retail store here in the Chicagoland area. She says that most of the fraud checks that crooks write are from TCF. They apparentely have a much looser system than other banks where fraudsters can write bogus checks.

I'd stay away from them if I were you. Go with one of the bigger banks -- Chase, LaSalle, or even like a BofA or Washington Mutual.
Old 03-13-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We've been with TCF for about 8 years or so. Sure, some of the folks ride the short bus to work, but they're open 364 days a year 7 am to 7 pm. There's locations and ATMs all over the burbs, and we use their check/debit card constantly. We've had a few overdrawn fees in the past, but we've gotten to the point now where we have a history with them, and when we have a problem, we can call them and point out that history and we've gotten some fees waived.
Old 03-13-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bigger question for all of us is -- How often do you visit a bank to talk to a teller?

Last time I visited a branch to specifically talk to a teller was in December 2004. I needed some Yen for my trip to Japan. Besides that -- I've never had to talk to a teller for anything. Everything for me is electronic or ATM. Checks get deposited, money moves from account to account electronically, and I withdraw cash via ATM.
Old 03-14-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with milo bloom. The only time I ever visit a TCF branch is to deposit a check. That takes all of 2 min and even the most basic trainee knows how to do that; so there's less of a chance they'll mess it up. Lots of locations, open every day, 7am-to-7pm, no fees; that's all i need anyway. Once I start working, I can see switching banks to something bigger, but for right now, it's good.