Reload this Page >

Is Buffalo meat the new turkey burger?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-11-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ex-vegan girlfriend bought me a package of burger patties made from buffalo meat. Should I eat them? Are they delicious? Will I die? How much of a departure from cow are these?
Old 03-11-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're good, leaner than cow.

If you don't want them, send them to me
Old 03-11-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

get yer drool off my burgers, mate... I'm gonna forman grill one for lunch - I was just a little hesitant. Would I be hard-pressed to tell the difference?
Old 03-11-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually Turkey is the new Buffalo. Buffalo burgers have been around longer than turkey ones. Buffalo is really good. Tastes just like beef because it practically is beef.
Old 03-11-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I figured they had been around longer, but they were new to me.
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had it once, and wasn't too thrilled. But, that may have been because it was extremely undercooked.
DVD Talk Hero

Oh give me a home...

I'll have to try these.
Old 03-11-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I should also say that they have a slight "gamey" flavor that some people don't like.

I'm just upset because I no longer live where I can go to the butchershop and pick up stuff like buffalo and elk.
Old 03-11-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well - I'll report back after eating.
Old 03-11-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trigger
well - I'll report back after eating.
...or so you hope.
Old 03-11-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like buffalo meat. It's similar to beef but there are some differences. It's supposed to be healthier than beef (leaner, natural, no hormones), and at least at the stores here, it's cheaper too.

Brian
Old 03-11-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to say I prefer buffalo burgers to regular cow burgers. Not only is it leaner, it tastes damn good.

Now, do they make buffalo ribs?
Old 03-11-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
God makes 'em, man eats 'em.

Yes, Buffalo Ribs are available.

https://www.buffalohillsbisonmeat.co...ail.php?IID=32
Old 03-11-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
You betcha! Just and there are lots of places to order online.

I've yet to try buffalo meat but it's on my To-Do list.

Edit: Crap... the dad-to-be beat me. Hey, shouldn't you be out stocking up on diapers or something?
Old 03-11-06, 12:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trader Joe's sells buffalo patties. There are 4 patties in a box but not individually wrapped, so they tend to stick in pairs. You have to eat 2 at a time
Old 03-11-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always seen these arround at restauraunts but never had the guts to try it, guess I should give it a go.
Old 03-11-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
Trader Joe's sells buffalo patties. There are 4 patties in a box but not individually wrapped, so they tend to stick in pairs. You have to eat 2 at a time
That's what she got me... I had to kinda thaw them out a little so I could separate them - they stuck together pretty good even though they were separated by butcher paper. You really eat them with the paper?

They were also elongated and not round like a burger should be. regardless, I ate one after grilling it on my George Forman and it was pretty decent. Very much like beef - I agree with the "gamey" comment as it is just a little bit. Still pretty good. I don't know about lean though cuz the calorie count was still high and so was the fat... I certainly can't complain about the no-hormone thing.
Old 03-11-06, 12:51 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what she got me... I had to kinda thaw them out a little so I could separate them - they stuck together pretty good even though they were separated by butcher paper. You really eat them with the paper?
The butcher paper is the best part. High fiber, low fat too.

I just put them unthawed on the grill and after they start cooking, it's easier to separate them from the paper. Eating the paper is optional.
Old 03-11-06, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buffalo burgers are arguably my favorite. I buy them all the time for grilling in the summer.

Ostrich burgers are great as well.
Old 03-11-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
regardless, I ate one after grilling it on my George Forman and it was pretty decent. Very much like beef - I agree with the "gamey" comment as it is just a little bit. Still pretty good.
Was it good enough to switch from beef? Or do you think it will become an "every now and then" kinda thing?
Old 03-11-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Buffalo meat is very similar to beef that you get directly from a farm and have butchered yourself. It is very lean and sometimes too lean to be real good for hamburger (doesn't always stick together great).

I would doubt that most people would notice if you slipped them a buffalo burger without telling them, though.
Old 03-11-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are really good. I'm a fan.

-p
Old 03-11-06, 03:40 PM

I have had one and they have a very unique beefy taste. If I could get them cheaper at the market, I might consider buying it on a regular basis.
Old 03-11-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Healthier You

Buffalo and Nutrition: A Healthy Connection
If you are tired of serving the same meats every day or are looking to add some variety to your meals, here’s an idea. Try buffalo meat!

Buffalo fits well into an eating pattern that is recommended for everyone. People are dying of heart disease, diabetes, and cancers in record numbers, and diet plays a role in the development of those diseases. By including buffalo as a lean meat choice and combining it with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy products and increasing physical activity, you can help to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.

Need some more information about buffalo before you’ll try it? Listed below are some common questions about buffalo.

Why eat buffalo?
There are many nutritional benefits to eating buffalo. Listed below are some of them.

* Buffalo is a nutrient dense food. That means it is full of good nutrition compared to the amount of calories it provides.
* Buffalo is a good source of protein.
* Buffalo is low in fat.
* Buffalo is high in many vitamins such as vitamins B12 and B6.
* Buffalo is high in many minerals such as iron and zinc.

How does it compare to other meats?
Buffalo is an excellent substitute for red meat, such as beef, pork, deer, or elk, in our diets. It is low in fat and calories.

Does buffalo meat taste good?
If you are worried buffalo meat has a wild game taste, don’t be. Buffalo tastes very good. It is full of flavor. Some people say that it has a sweeter and richer flavor than beef.

Is buffalo meat expensive?
Buffalo can be expensive, but in communities where demand is high, it does go on sale. But don’t let the price scare you from buying it. Remember, you get a lot of nutrition for the price. Since buffalo has very little fat in it, you will have less waste compared to other meats. Also, there is very little shrinkage of the meat during cooking.

How do you cook buffalo meat?
Buffalo meat cuts are very similar to beef, but the color of the meat is a darker red. That is because buffalo meat does not have streaks of fat in it, called marbling, like beef. Since buffalo has a lower fat content, it will cook faster than beef. Fat in meat slows the cooking process because it acts as an insulator. The heat has to break through the fat layer first before the meat can begin to cook.

Buffalo should be cooked at a lower temperature. The motto for cooking buffalo is “low and slow.” That means if you cook buffalo meat at a lower temperature you will slow the cooking process and keep the meat from becoming tough. By cooking buffalo meat at a temperature of 275°F until the internal temperature reaches 155 to 170°F, you will ensure the best quality and most tender meat.

Remember that more tender cuts of buffalo, as in all meats, should be cooked by a dry heat method of cooking such as broiling, roasting, and stir-frying. Tender cuts of buffalo would include the short loin and sirloin.

Less tender cuts of buffalo should be cooked by a moist heat method of cooking such as braising, pressure cooking, stewing, or by using a slow cooker. Cuts that are generally less tender are stew meat, brisket, round, and ribs.

Buffalo can be used as a substitute for beef in all of your favorite recipes. It can be prepared using all the low-fat meat cooking techniques that you are familiar with such as roasting, slow cooking (crock pot), broiling, grilling, and stir frying.
Old 03-11-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

in addition to simply being healthier and much higher in minerals and vitamins, lower in cholesterol and fat - Buffalo are almost all grass fed naturally - therefore free of the chemicals and crap that cows are fed. In short, it's about the healthiest meat you can eat. Go nuts and enjoy!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.