T.P. Wars (or: Am I in teh wrong?)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-11-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, here's the story.

i share a 3-bedroom apartment. the apartment has a communal kitchen (and the bedrooms) and, of course, a shared toilet and shower rooms (in separate rooms, that's why i say that - it's the typical model for central europe).

one of my housemates is a loud aussie girl who annoys the crap out of me. the other is the daughter of the owners of the flat. the owners are constantly over. they're cool, so i don't mind. their son also comes over during the day almost all day because he's had some sort of a major falling out with his girlfriend (with whom he has a kid). also, the daughter's boyfriend comes over about once a week as well.

of further importance to the story is that there is a supermarket which is literally a 2 or 3 minute walk from the front door.

okay, so...

i've bought toilet paper for community use quite a few times since i moved in here in the fall. about two weeks ago, our communal toilet paper ran out and somebody (the son, i think) brought some paper towels in from the kitchen. incidentally, i bought said paper towels in the fall thinking they were toilet paper.

well, the paper towels ran out about 4 or 5 days ago. i bought some toilet paper before they ran out and have been using it since i got it. but i've been keeping it to myself, while the others have been using a mixture of napkins and/or tissues.

am i wrong to feel like keeping the t.p. to myself? i wouldn't mind, but i don't think the aussie has ever bought t.p. for the flat. plus, i think she's been drinking my milk, which pisses me off ten times as much. (i rely on my milk for my breakfast cereal and i maintain a balance so that i always have at least one serving available on any given morning and when that balance is violated, i'm pissed...) i actually wouldn't be pissed off at all if she would ask, but she never has.

i also have a small hunch that maybe the family is hording their own t.p. because the napkins don't seem to disappear whenever they're around.

anyway, am i in teh wrong to horde my t.p. this way?
-di doctor-
Old 03-11-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. Personally this is the best way to avoid arguments because who's to say who uses more than another.

On a side note I'd be more concerned that they aren't using dissolveable paper and flushing it down the toilet. You're from Europe right? Seems you Europeans always find the Jerry Springer type situations
Old 03-11-06, 09:11 AM

I'm confused. You're just roommates, and you even have to ask if it's right that you use what you buy? You've been letting them freeload to the point where you feel bad when they don't! It'd be one thing if they did the dishes more, cooked more, etc. because you didn't, so the TP & milk would be an exchange of sorts.

I'd tell that cheeky wanker to get her own milk! Next time, lace it with laxative, since you know how that'll turn out.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 03-11-06 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you got a little fridge of your own, hid it in your bedroom, and kept your milk in that. Would no milk ever appear in the main fridge? if she is drinking it, she needs to buy some once in a while.

It sounds like the best solution is to either get your own place, or get someplace with better roommates.
Old 03-11-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's bothering you, hide it for yourself. I would pick better roommates next time. If you didn't pick them, move out at first chance.
Old 03-11-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think you are wrong, but I have no idea what communal things that others bring to the party that you may use a fair amount of.
Old 03-11-06, 03:43 PM

This is what I am dealing with now, but its not a big issue. You might want to bring it up and see if anyone is willing to chip in or take responsibility for the next round.
Old 03-11-06, 09:36 PM

to clarify one thing, i'm american living in europe!

as for the tissue at hand... oops... well, you know what i mean... i'm not really one to care if she drinks a little of my milk - she's just supplementing her frickin' tea with it. the bigger problem is that she occasionally opens a new carton that i've put in to get cold (it's long life, box milk). if i write my name on it, it tends not to go anywhere. sometimes i make it a point after seeing it opened to write my name on it in BIG OBVIOUS LETTERS.

i am looking to move anyway, but it's not because of this. this place is just way too far out of the center - only bus transit at night, as opposed to tram transit, which is much faster and more efficient.

as for the t.p... well, i've never felt guilty about hogging it and i won't. we do use disposable t.p. in the czech republic. hell, i'm using kleenex brand t.p.!
-di doctor-
Old 03-12-06, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy a roll of the really thin scratchy stuff for the bathroom and some nice stuff that you keep just for yourself.
Old 03-12-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Get everyone to contribute for some proper toiler paper. It sounds like the conditions are no better than a public restroom! This is your life (you and your flatmates)... your place that you can all control. You can choose to live like proper human beings or live like animals and strangers. Wipe well and prosper, I say! May God be with you as this situation evolves.
Old 03-13-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't think you are wrong, but I have no idea what communal things that others bring to the party that you may use a fair amount of.
Yeah, like the hot sex!!
Old 03-13-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is an excellent example of why Vibiana never, never lives with roommates (other than her cats).
Old 03-13-06, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the phrase "t.p. for the flat" strike anyone else funny?

I'm not even sure why I think it's funny, I just do...
Old 03-13-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When the TP runs out, get everyone there to agree to all go out and each buy some TP. This way, you all spit the costs and people don't feel like they are te the only TP provider. With several people getting it at once, you should be stocked for a little while.
Old 03-13-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could kill them over it.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....t=kills+toliet
Old 03-13-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One summer in college I sublet an apartment from someone just for the summer. He went home for the summer, but his 2 roomates stayed in the apartment. I used the toilet paper there and never really thought much about it. One day the toilet paper was gone, I assumed it ran out or something but didn't think much of it. I made a mental note that maybe I should go pick some up next time I go to the store (which wasn't very often), plus I didn't really use the TP much anyways as I wasn't really home a lot and generally did my business elsewhere. Then I noticed over the next several days that the other 2 guys were carrying their TP into the bathroom with them and then taking it back out to their room. So apparently they objected to the fact that I was mooching their TP off them. I found the whole situation highly ridiculous, they never once brought it up or mentioned anything about it to me. Had they simply just asked I'd have gladly pitched in some money for community items like TP or other things.

Anyways, point is, I'd just ask them about it instead of playing Hide-the-TP games.
Old 03-13-06, 01:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Question concerning two female roommates... I can't believe I'm the first in here to say...
:nopics:
Old 03-13-06, 01:49 PM

Surely, DrRingDing (if that's your REAL name), you could spare a square?
Old 03-13-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Off topic but I have taken on a personal mission in life to tell people to please for the love of god stop spelling "the" as "teh" just because you are using the word in an internet forum. Thanks.
Old 03-13-06, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Off topic but I have taken on a personal mission in life to tell people to please for the love of god stop spelling "the" as "teh" just because you are using the word in an internet forum. Thanks.
Gawd! I type "teh" for the FIRST time ever and you call me on it!!!