Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How much should a popular movie url be worth?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-10-06, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years back I invested a couple hundred dollars in domain squatting. All I did was put text on the page saying email me here for purchase information. Most often I get spam but I wade through it just in case. Well it turns out that I got 1 that was pretty wanted (well I got 3 different variations), and I received an email regarding the purchase last week. I thought it was a joke, but the contact information turned out legit and I've agreed to sell the set of URL's for $50,000. I can't say what the movie is as it was part of the agreement, but suffice it to say it will be at least a $75 million budget movie. It is the most money I will ever have gotten at once, and I was afraid to haggle thinking they would back out. Do you guys think I got hosed?
Old 03-10-06, 06:17 AM
Suspended

Damn. Who would have thought http://www.UntitledCarrotTopProject.com would be worth something?

Old 03-10-06, 06:24 AM
Suspended

Doesn't matter if you're getting hosed or not. If they back out you won't be getting hosed, instead you'll be PWNED.

If I were you I wouldn't ruin this by being greedy. Instead, consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky. You've done virtually nothing (besides pay a little money for some domain names) to earn this amount of money, so take what you can get or they'll probably back out, use the name and add a dash or something clever like that.

BTW, can you at least hint at the genre of the film?

Of course there is always the possbility that the film could become masssive at the box office and the domain name becomes 10X more valuable.
Old 03-10-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to you and all that, dude. But I hate domain squatters.
Old 03-10-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing Mission Impossible: III.
Old 03-10-06, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I can't say what the movie is as it was part of the agreement, but suffice it to say it will be at least a $75 million budget movie.
Ok, so you can't say what it is. But you can tell us what it rhymes with.
Old 03-10-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why the hell would that want you to not name the URL? Stupid free publicity.
Old 03-10-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
Ok, so you can't say what it is. But you can tell us what it rhymes with.

clitoris...
Old 03-10-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't hose the deal by getting greedy. They can always come up with a different url name anyway.
Old 03-10-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asabase
I wouldn't hose the deal by getting greedy. They can always come up with a different url name anyway.
Yup.

Take the $.

-p
Old 03-10-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely take the money! Get greedy and they'll go with xxxthemovie.com instead. But then again, I'll bet Ted Danson held out for more than $50K on HIS URL.
Old 03-10-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Congrats to you and all that, dude. But I hate domain squatters.
Be that is it may, I'm not selling you NCMojoRules.com for anything less than $100,000.
Old 03-10-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
Be that is it may, I'm not selling you NCMojoRules.com for anything less than $100,000.
I will sell NCMojoSucks for $50,000. Your move Mr. Mojo...
Old 03-10-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$50

The secret to stopping the squatting is to not buy their frikkin' domains. Sorry, Daniel, good for you that you're getting paid and all, but that's how I feel about squatting.
Old 03-10-06, 11:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

I despise cybersquatting, it's worse than spamming.
Old 03-10-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Congrats on the dough, I'd take it and be happy, personally.

I don't really have a problem with squatting. Seems similar to buying up a prime piece of real estate before it gets developed.
Old 03-10-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I despise cybersquatting, it's worse than spamming.
Why? I can understand if you cybersquat on a famous person's actual name, but who gives a shit if it's a movie/business or whatever.
Old 03-10-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Take the money and run! Today if possible. If they can convince a judge that you are just squating and not using the url for a legitimate purpose, the court can order you to turn it over. You want it to be less costly for them to pay you instead of paying a lawyer.
Old 03-10-06, 11:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Demand $50,001 and you'll feel better about getting the last dollar out of them.
Old 03-10-06, 11:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's taking advantage of a system in place where domains are extremely cheap and rewards laziness. You can just grab a bunch of words and phrases and sit around and keep people who have actual business ideas from having a nice sounding domain.
Old 03-10-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
It's taking advantage of a system in place where domains are extremely cheap and rewards laziness. You can just grab a bunch of words and phrases and sit around and keep people who have actual business ideas from having a nice sounding domain.
No, it's rewarding people for being smart and proactive on something, with the exception of personal names. If the movie companies were smart, they'd buy up every sequel variation of their movies just so this stuff doesn't happen.
Old 03-10-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I find amusing is when I let my domain lapse, someone decided to squat on it. I'd be willing to bet the domain name is so specialized nobody would want it, so there is little point in squating on it. I sure as hell won't pay top dollar to get it back.
Old 03-10-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You probably could have gotten another 25K without too much haggling, but there's no guarantee. I would be plenty happy with 50K out of this. That's a lot of money, man. Once the deall is done, don't play the what-if game.

Hope it works out for you.

And I'm not a fan of domain squatting in general either. I have a lot of clients who have struggled finding a domain that suits their business. Small business have it hard because people hold out for a lot more than 1K on a domain, simply because they've heard the stories. And 1K simply for the name is a lot of money for anything smaller than a corporation.
Old 03-10-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mllefoo
What I find amusing is when I let my domain lapse, someone decided to squat on it. I'd be willing to bet the domain name is so specialized nobody would want it, so there is little point in squating on it. I sure as hell won't pay top dollar to get it back.
Yup. This happened to one of my clients that runs a non-profit.

The domain registration wasn't managed well (I think someone else set it up for him in the past), he didn't realize his domain expired and someone snagged up the .org domain the day it was overdue. His fault for having an expired email on record of course, but still. There was no way the non-profit was going to be able to buy the domain back. That rendered all of their print materials useless, their email addresses were no longer valid, all because of someone squatting on a VERY specific url. It was a situation where they probably could have sued for the domain given how specific it was. But they were already struggling, didn't have time to tie things up in court, and the non-profit ended up closing a few months later. I'm pretty sure the fact that most of their dealings were handled on the web was a factor and they wouldn't be able to recover from either purchasing the domain back or remaking all of their materials and notifying everyone in the program about the changes. Pretty sad actually.

Very different case than we have in this thread here. But a lesson any way. He probably would have sued for the domain if there weren't already other issues challenging the organization to stay afloat. That was just a nail in the coffin as I see it.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 03-10-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it should be worth $0 because the studio should pick a similar domain to use and pay jack shit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.