Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

As anyone ever been to a Hollywood premier or after-party???

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-09-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just wondering if anyone has been to a real Hollywood premier and then the after-party afterwards? Just wondering what they are like? Are the stars ever accessable? Not that you would hang with them all night, but, at least come up say hi or take a pic?
The reason I ask is we might be able to get tickets to see the premier of Will Ferrel's new movie "Talladega Nights" and then go to the after-party. I live in NJ and it will be in LA. Just wondering if its worth the expense of a trip out west. My wife is a big Nascar fan and she is hoping some drivers will be there. But, if she won't be able to go near them..its kind of a big expense to see a movie a few days before it opens.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There's never a guarantee that the stars will be at the after-party. I would assume Will Ferrell might be at it, but even then you don't know.

How did you get these tickets? If they were for a contest/promotion then there might be some automatic "star time" the radio station/etc. had set up in advance.

My gut instinct tells me if this was a small or independent film (say, the new Atom Egoyan movie) then your chance of meeting everyone is pretty good. Talladega Nights is probably not going to be like that. If you're going for the hope that some NASCAR drivers are going to be there, I would spend my money on something else, namely, going to an actual race and maybe seeing if they have any special packages or premium tickets. You can then easily spend a lot on event tickets and still have it be cheaper than flying out ot LA and staying there. Plus, at worst, it's a day's drive away.
Old 03-09-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My buddy is a writer and for the longest time he would sneak into NY and LA premieres. He was very good at it.

So good that the conenctions he made led to him writing this book...

Movie Moguls Speak

There were always people at these premieres and a lot of them figure if you are there, then you must have been invited and know someone.

The connections he made at those events led him to write a few books involving celebrities.

His lates tbook came out recently.
Old 03-09-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I am possibly getting the tickets from a family friend. The reason we think drivers might be there. Is that Will Ferrell has been doing a bunch of promotions for the Nascar Day charity. So they might want to promote back by having drivers there. Also, the weekend before the movie opens nationally and the weekend the premier might be their is no race. So the drivers and officials should be free.
Old 03-09-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a total guess, but I would think a fun movie like Tallegadea (sp) Nights, the stars and drivers might be accessible since there should be a fun movie.. With a movie that has a serious theme like Capote, Brokeback, etc, I could see a premier/afterparty being very dull and pretentious..

might want to throw a post in movie talk
Old 03-09-06, 12:40 PM

I wouldn't do it. Even if you were able to shake hands with him and get an autograph, then what? Sure, he's in entertainment, but he's just doing what he loves. I've seen 'celebrities' in airports and I just leave them alone. Their job is in the public eye, but their life shouldn't be. Yes, it's a premeire, but that's basically for the media and to let the actors relax because it's all done. It's not a petting zoo for Mr. Will.

Maybe there are some actors who love meeting people, but there's no way to really know.

Last edited by ShallowHal; 03-09-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I wouldn't do it. Even if you were able to shake hands with him and get an autograph, then what? Sure, he's in entertainment, but he's just doing what he loves. I've seen 'celebrities' in airports and I just leave them alone. Their job is in the public eye, but their life shouldn't be. Yes, it's a premeire, but that's basically for the media and to let the actors relax because it's all done. It's not a petting zoo for Mr. Will.

Maybe there are some actors who love meeting people, but there's no way to really know.

Your right. Their are times when you should and shouldn't approach a celeb. But, the premier is not part of their private lives. And I would never approach a celeb while they were eating, talking with someone or in the bathroom. For example I was visiting some old friends where I used to live in Marin cty.California. We were at a pub when Huey Lewis walked in with a friend. He sat down and no one bothered him. After he was finished and was leaving. I politely went up and asked for his autograph. He was very nice chatted for a sec and signed it. After he left the bartender came by (he is a friend of one of the people I was with). He said Huey comes in often. And he appreciated the way I did it. Its all about timing and courtesy.
Old 03-09-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're the kind of person that get's excited about Huey Lewis' autograph, I think you should definitely go. For others or industry insiders, these events tend to be pretty boring. Even if all your greatest Nascar idols aren't there, there are usually a couple of celebs that are invited to these things that aren't involved with the movie. As long as it's not the only thing you're going to L.A. for (make a couple days out of it), why not go? The public generally aren't invited to these things, so unless you know someone, you're probably not going to get another chance.
Old 03-09-06, 05:47 PM

I went to the premiere of Tomb Raider 2, walked on the red carpet, photographers and such. It was fun! Angelina Jolie, director Jan De Bont and all actors were present. Before the movie was shown Angelina and Jan gave a little speech about the movie.

After the movie was shown, it was known Angelina and Jan had left beforehand, and I got to tell one actor he had a cool shirt (ACDC).

That was it.

Don't expect your premiere to be that much different.
Old 03-09-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hollywood talent are sometimes avail at afterparties, but their involvement really depends on how exclusive the gathering is. If there will be a lot of "civies" there and we're talking fairly known talent, I wouldn't expect them to be mingling with the crowd too much. Most after-parties also have a VIP room where the talent retreat to after walking through the regular-people-gathering.

I'll be at the V for Vendetta premiere in a few days actually. I'll tell Natalie you say hi.
Old 05-08-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just bumping this up to update. I am going to the premier. It will be at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood...after-party to be determined still.
Old 05-08-06, 05:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I went to the Hollywood premiere of A Prairie Home Companion last week (though was held in St. Paul, MN). After party was pretty cool though. Robert Altman, Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Meryl Streep and Lindsey Lohan were all there.
Old 05-08-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I went to the Hollywood premiere of A Prairie Home Companion last week (though was held in St. Paul, MN). After party was pretty cool though. Robert Altman, Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Meryl Streep and Lindsey Lohan were all there.
How was the after-party? Were the celebs nice or did it depend on the celeb? John C.Reilly is in the movie I am going to.
Old 05-09-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOLEN
How was the after-party? Were the celebs nice or did it depend on the celeb? John C.Reilly is in the movie I am going to.
I met Reilly at a SXSW screening of A Prairie Home Companion back in early March. He was a pretty cool, down to earth guy.

-JP
Old 05-09-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I met John C. Reilly after a performance of <i>True West</i> in NYC a few years ago - the man talked to every single person who came up to him, signed autographs and even offered to sign extra items that weren't even offered.
Old 05-09-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True story. I got blown by this drunk girl who thought I was John Cusack at the after party for Meet Joe Black.

So I'd go.
Old 05-09-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TOLEN
We were at a pub when Huey Lewis walked in with a friend. He sat down and no one bothered him. After he was finished and was leaving. I politely went up and asked for his autograph. He was very nice chatted for a sec and signed it. After he left the bartender came by (he is a friend of one of the people I was with). He said Huey comes in often. And he appreciated the way I did it. Its all about timing and courtesy.
That is definately the way to do it. I'm not a big celeb person, but I've met a ton through both business, social, friends, etc. In the end, they are just people. Some can't handle that assessment, but most are really chill about everything. I ran into Orlando Bloom awhile back at a hole in the wall bar, and he was just a regular guy just trying to have a drink and listen to some live music. I didn't ask for an autograph or anything, just had a drink with him and was on my way to meet up with some friends.

-p