Reload this Page >

Anyone here who was an only child?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-01-06, 07:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents only had one kid so I never had any brothers and sisters. But I don't feel like I missed anything either. Anyone else?
Old 03-01-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I still call myself an only child.. I have a half sister that's about 17 years younger (I think) than myself. I never really talked to her and I doubt she even remembers me (I last saw her when she was 1).
Old 03-01-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was an only child. Never felt I missed out.
Old 03-01-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm an only and I don't think I missed anything.
Old 03-01-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm an only and love it. I dont think I missed anything.

Question for you onlys... do you find it easier to do things by yourself than people who have bros and sisters? I often go to the movies, concerts, out to eat, or to the bar by myself and don't think a second thing about it, but I've had people say to me "You go out to ______ by yourself!?!?" Like I'm out of my mind or it's a completely foreign concept to them.
Old 03-01-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only child here. Don't think I missed out on anything.
Old 03-01-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the above posters, they obvious didn't want to make any more mistakes

I'd be an only child but my folks saw the need to have 3 boys, plus a step-sister
I'm the 2nd oldest BTW
Old 03-01-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm an only child and I'm glad. My mom didn't have to worry about pleasing other children so I was spoiled.
Old 03-01-06, 09:46 PM

im an only child...christmas was always better for me than for my friends who had siblings.
Old 03-01-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm an only child. I think. I'm adopted. I'm an only child to my adoptive parents...not sure about my biological ones.

Old 03-02-06, 12:00 AM

Not an only child here, two younger sisters coming in at three and ten years my junior.
Old 03-02-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Talzin
Not an only child here, two younger sisters coming in at three and ten years my junior.
Okay, so why'd you click this thread?

Old 03-02-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't comprehend how someone who is an only child could say: "I don't think I missed out on anything."

Ridiculous. Every member of a family significantly changes the dynamics. In fact, every member of any group significantly changes the dynamics, but when you're talking at least 25% of that group, over the course of a lifetime, it's a great change.

Now, as to what you missed, that is certainly up for discussion.

I was an "only" for the majority of my formative years, up until the age of 7 1/2, when my only sibling, a brother, was born. We didn't have too much in common, due to the age difference, but he certainly idolized me (poor kid) growing up and we were a loving and sharing family. He went through trials and tribulations from which I learned greatly and he certainly was exposed to many mistakes that I made growing up which influenced his develpment. While I know it doesn't work out for everyone in the same way as it has for us, even though our "one-on-one time" has decreased to the odd trans-coastal phone call a week, the bond that we share having grown up together still cements us closer than all but a very few relationships that I have made in the past 44 years.

Anyway, I would argue that exposure to siblings in your family of origin is (obviously) secondary only to exposure to parents. And we all know how significant that is......
Old 03-02-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by turborobb
I'm an only and love it. I dont think I missed anything.

Question for you onlys... do you find it easier to do things by yourself than people who have bros and sisters? I often go to the movies, concerts, out to eat, or to the bar by myself and don't think a second thing about it, but I've had people say to me "You go out to ______ by yourself!?!?" Like I'm out of my mind or it's a completely foreign concept to them.
I love nothing more than being alone. My wife has a brother and sister so she doesn't understand it at all. There is nothing better than doing something alone because nothing is worse than going out with people and then having someone bitch and moan about going home.

In addition to being an only child my parents worked long hours. I would see them about 2 hours a day if I was "lucky". Thanks to them being gone so often I taught myself how to cook, which is my career now, and I started my movie collection to keep me busy.

I'm happy I was an only child because I see how worthless my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are and I'm glad I'm nothing related to anything that is that freaking useless.
Old 03-02-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not an only child, far from it. I've got 7 other siblings. Older sister, older stepsister, younger stepsisters (2), younger sister, younger stepbrother, and younger brother. Having all those siblings made things fun especially sports.
Old 03-02-06, 12:55 AM

Yeah, I have no problem with "I'm glad I was an only child."

It's the "I don't think I missed anything." that bugs, but I guess it's just those pesky semantics again. (at self)
Old 03-02-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I think children who grow up without siblings tend to be much more independent and self-reliant, but they also have a need for privacy and alone time that most people don't understand. I start to get irritable when I'm around people constantly for days on end.

As a side note, my parents didn't want to spoil me and they went a little overboard with it. My birthdays and Christmases were typically much less impressive than even my friends who had brothers and sisters.
Old 03-02-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah. I think children who grow up without siblings tend to be much more independent and self-reliant, but they also have a need for privacy and alone time that most people don't understand. I start to get irritable when I'm around people constantly for days on end.
Having a younger brother and sister, I have no problem understanding a need for privacy and alone time.
Old 03-02-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm an only child, too. Kind of hard to say if I missed out or not, but I definitely liked my life growing up.

For me, I just loved and still love having my own space and my own time to do whatever I wanted to do--whether it was play with toys, watch a certain show at a certain time, or go somewhere without having to worry about a sibling. And, I also agree with others that I enjoy being by myself and it doesn't bother me. I think other people may possibly be more clingy. I enjoy being around people, but only up to a certain point. That's not meant to come across as anti-social or hating people, it's just that I'm used to having a lot of time to just relax and hang out by myself, and I like it.
Old 03-02-06, 02:13 AM

i'm an only child, but a majority of my friends growing up came from large families. i actually learned to appreciate my "single child-ness" (there's probably a real word for this) by watching them.
Old 03-02-06, 03:46 AM

I can't comprehend how someone who is an only child could say: "I don't think I missed out on anything."

If you have never known a different situation,then your not missing anything.I'm an only child and i don't think I missed out on anything,mostly because being an only is then only thing I have known...make sence?
Old 03-02-06, 05:50 AM

I am an only child and I'm proud of it. I didn't miss out on anything, trust me. I kind of know how it is to have brothers and sisters. When I was a little kid, I used to be baby sat by my aunt. Spending a lot of time there, my cousins sort of became like my brothers and sisters and I also got to observe how brothers and sisters act to each other. Fucking siblings are brutal man, constantly fighting and trying to get each other in trouble with the parents. At the end of the day, I was so glad that I could come home to my house without any other siblings. Did I learn to share with my cousins, yes. But I found out sharing sucks. It was nice to be an only child and have an entire nes system to myself and not have to fight for playing time. Being an only child has a lot of advantages. For instance, I'm not that desperate to get married because being an only child, you learn to entertain and survive by yourself. I think people that are used to big families are more desperate to get married and have children. I'm sure some of you will call me a spoiled brat for being an only child. Maybe I am, but I'm not a rich spoiled brat like Paris Hilton or anything.
Old 03-02-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm an only. My mother re-married a few years ago and I gained 2 stepsisters and a stepbrother, but we're all adults so it doesn't count. I can tell the difference between onlys, people who grew up with one or two siblings, and people from massive families. I used to wish I could have had a brother, but I grew out of "coulda/shoulda/woulda" a long time ago. Besides, I have formed strong bonds with a few people in my adult life that I would call "siblings by choice".
Old 03-02-06, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I used to wish I could have had a brother, but I grew out of "coulda/shoulda/woulda" a long time ago. Besides, I have formed strong bonds with a few people in my adult life that I would call "siblings by choice".
OH, I think every only child goes through the "mommy, I want a brother or sister stage", but most of us get over it.
Old 03-02-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
OH, I think every only child goes through the "mommy, I want a brother or sister stage", but most of us get over it.
I'm an only child and I NEVER wanted a sibling. I loved being the only child. In fact, my mom thought she was pregnant and I was hoping she wasn't. She wasn't. I rejoiced.

My wife on the other hand is the seventh of seven. Good Lord what a difference that makes in our parenting styles at times. I'm more of an enforcer where she is kind of lax but we're working on that, meeting in the middle.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.