Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

You think these Subway 'Artists' are trying to pull a fast one on customers?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

You think these Subway 'Artists' are trying to pull a fast one on customers?

Old 02-26-06, 04:07 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think these Subway 'Artists' are trying to pull a fast one on customers?

I used to go to Subway all the time. There is one near me that I have been to probably 100 times over the past few times. Anyway, it had been a few months since I had been in. But 2 weeks ago, I went to get some dinner.

I got a 6 inch sub that was 3.99, plus chips, and the total should be 4.88 (Certain subways here don't charge tax, some do, I don't undestand why they do/don't do it sometimes). With tax it wouldn't have been much more.

Anyway, the girl rings it up on the register and says "$7.60."

Um, no. I said "No, this is all I got", and I hold up my food. She says "Yeah, 7.60."

I said, "NO. Look at the menu. 3.99 plus the chips is 4.88".

She tells me "The menu is wrong".

"No it's not", I tell her. "I come here all the time." I started laughing because of how dumb what she just said was.

She then says "Oh, you're right. Okay", and she corrects the price in the register.



TODAY, I went in and got the same things. Same store, different girl, but the other girl who rang me up last time is in the store. My total is $4.88, I even see the digital readout say "4.88".

"$5.88", the girl tells me.

"No, it says 4.88", I tell her.

"Oh, sorry, right", she says quickly and pulls out a 1 dollar bill from the register, because she had already charged my debit card.

I sit down and look at the receipts. You know how the register will print out 1 receipt, and then the credit card machine prints out another? Well the register receipt says "4.88", which is the correct price. The credit card machine receipt says "5.88", meaning she purposely upped my price.

I get the feeling that the employees at this store are over charging customers on purpose, and then taking the extra cash later. Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

I wouldn't be so suspicious if these girls didn't both act so rude. The first girl actually tried to tell me that their menu was incorrect, and then when I didn't buy it she said "Oh, ok, you're right."
Old 02-26-06, 04:16 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,522
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's a good way to get fired. Con artists is more like it (or maybe con amateurs). Also, you shoulda mentioned this to the manager on duty.
Old 02-26-06, 04:17 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,765
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jared's gotta get fat somehow!

Sorry, that's all I have.
Old 02-26-06, 04:18 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to mention it to the manager. I wasn't sure if I should just call corporate first, because I noticed that multiple employees are in on it.

I tried to find out the girls name, but what do you know...She didn't wear her name-tag.
Old 02-26-06, 05:19 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,770
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I used to go to Subway all the time. There is one near me that I have been to probably 100 times over the past few times. Anyway, it had been a few months since I had been in. But 2 weeks ago, I went to get some dinner.

I got a 6 inch sub that was 3.99, plus chips, and the total should be 4.88 (Certain subways here don't charge tax, some do, I don't undestand why they do/don't do it sometimes). With tax it wouldn't have been much more.

Anyway, the girl rings it up on the register and says "$7.60."

Um, no. I said "No, this is all I got", and I hold up my food. She says "Yeah, 7.60."

I said, "NO. Look at the menu. 3.99 plus the chips is 4.88".

She tells me "The menu is wrong".

"No it's not", I tell her. "I come here all the time." I started laughing because of how dumb what she just said was.

She then says "Oh, you're right. Okay", and she corrects the price in the register.



TODAY, I went in and got the same things. Same store, different girl, but the other girl who rang me up last time is in the store. My total is $4.88, I even see the digital readout say "4.88".

"$5.88", the girl tells me.

"No, it says 4.88", I tell her.

"Oh, sorry, right", she says quickly and pulls out a 1 dollar bill from the register, because she had already charged my debit card.

I sit down and look at the receipts. You know how the register will print out 1 receipt, and then the credit card machine prints out another? Well the register receipt says "4.88", which is the correct price. The credit card machine receipt says "5.88", meaning she purposely upped my price.

I get the feeling that the employees at this store are over charging customers on purpose, and then taking the extra cash later. Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

I wouldn't be so suspicious if these girls didn't both act so rude. The first girl actually tried to tell me that their menu was incorrect, and then when I didn't buy it she said "Oh, ok, you're right."
kinda related but im 99.99% positive they are told/trained to be as skimpy with the items as possible. their definition (at the subway i go to) of "extra _____ (whatever)" doesnt even pass (IMO) for a regular amount. sometimes ill even repeat "can i have more ______" and they barely put any on.

oh and another time, i got to subway, NO ONE in line so i walk to the front and the girl is on the phone talking (it was a personal call - i can hear everything shes sayingl)...so i just stand there, she sees me, stays on the phone, doesnt hang up, doesnt tell them she call back later (as if she should be making that call EVER), doesnt ask me to wait or apologize or nothing.

eventually after 5 minutes she asks her co worker in the back to help me.

what a BITCH. im so glad people like that will go nowhere in life. so fucking rude and inconsiderate. i know its just a sandwich but its the principal of it - its just disrespectful and unnacceptable.
Old 02-26-06, 06:46 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 401
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, back when I was in high school, I had a friend who worked at a gas station who used to pull a scam. Customers who paid cash were supposed to get a discount, and he figured out some way where he charged them for their gas and kept the discount. It's been so long that I can't remember the exact details of what he did. I told him he was an ass and that he was going to get in trouble. Sure enough, he wasn't as smart as he thought he was - The boss caught him and fired him. He's probably lucky the police didn't get involved.

Last I heard from him, he had joined the Navy. What a smeghead.
Old 02-26-06, 08:56 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: BV VA
Posts: 6,071
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Last I heard from him, he had joined the Navy. What a smeghead.
I love my US Military as much as the next person but I've always said the military is made up of 90% of the people who were losers in school and had no other choice in life. Road to jail or military.
Old 02-26-06, 09:07 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 5,663
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if they were doing that. Back when I was in retail, we were reminded about giving discounts to friends and other similar scams all the time.

The quizno's here never gives you the combo discount, but I think it's more because they are morons.

A friend of mine used to work at a subway and he had to fire a guy for doing the exact scam you are talking about.
Old 02-26-06, 10:18 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did hate subway, subs never had much on them. Went to one last weekend that had a good kid working. he put plenty of stuff on and asked if you wanted more
Old 02-26-06, 10:24 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,391
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think she did it intentionally (though it's hard to imagine how else she made such an 'error), just because it's hard to imagine her being that passionate for the corporation she works for to the point where she charges extra.
Old 02-26-06, 10:35 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,027
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
No Pepper Bar = No Sale

Old 02-26-06, 10:54 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,983
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
email corporate. If ALL the employees are rude and cheaters, it's because the manager is no good.
Old 02-26-06, 10:58 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: BV VA
Posts: 6,071
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
email corporate. If ALL the employees are rude and cheaters, it's because the manager is no good.


Exactly. There is a Chick Fil A close to where I leave (well 45 min) and the manager there is the nicest person I've ever met in fast food. I've been there 4 times when he's working and each time he was walking around asking people if they needed refils and picking up their extra trash at the table. This particular restaurant is the best I've ever been to. This includes nicer restaurants. This guy exemplifies what a public type worker should be like. The best part is it doesn't feel forced. It seems he genuinely loves his job.
Old 02-26-06, 11:27 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
email corporate. If ALL the employees are rude and cheaters, it's because the manager is no good.
Not only that, but the main Subway orginization are fucking crazy when it comes to standards...they wont put up with that shit.

A guy I work with owns a Subway, and he told me that if the Subway inspector catches them storing food at the wrong temperature TWICE, they take his franchise away
Old 02-26-06, 11:29 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I tried to find out the girls name, but what do you know...She didn't wear her name-tag.
You should have asked her for her e-mail address.
Old 02-26-06, 11:34 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natevines
I don't think she did it intentionally (though it's hard to imagine how else she made such an 'error), just because it's hard to imagine her being that passionate for the corporation she works for to the point where she charges extra.
I think she was charging extra to keep the money, not to increase store profits.
Old 02-26-06, 12:28 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,711
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jon-w9
I think she was charging extra to keep the money, not to increase store profits.
Exactly. I would contact corporate and tell them what happened exactly as written here. I guarantee that a couple "mystery shoppers" would be visiting that place very soon. Not wearing a nametag backs up the theory. One doesn't want to be easily identified if someone reports behavior like this.
Old 02-26-06, 12:28 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,880
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
email corporate. If ALL the employees are rude and cheaters, it's because the manager is no good.
Subway is a franchise.
Old 02-26-06, 12:32 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,711
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Subway is a franchise.
Oh, that's true. Then try to find out who the particular store's owner is. I'm sure he would be very interested in hearing about this (unless he's in on it. In that case corporate would want to know. They still have a lot of control over the behavior of their franchises)
Old 02-26-06, 12:32 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Posts: 14,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A franchise still has the franchiser - and they don't like franchises giving them a bad name.
Old 02-26-06, 01:11 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Graftenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: sector 2814
Posts: 2,022
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dork
You should have asked her for her e-mail address.









Old 02-26-06, 01:12 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,754
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg


Exactly. There is a Chick Fil A close to where I leave (well 45 min) and the manager there is the nicest person I've ever met in fast food. I've been there 4 times when he's working and each time he was walking around asking people if they needed refils and picking up their extra trash at the table. This particular restaurant is the best I've ever been to. This includes nicer restaurants. This guy exemplifies what a public type worker should be like. The best part is it doesn't feel forced. It seems he genuinely loves his job.

In my experience, almost all Chick-Fil-A restaurants have outstanding service. They are in a different league than most fast food places. It must be a large part of their employee training, because everyone from managers to cashiers are always very polite and helpful.
Old 02-26-06, 01:35 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stop at a local KFC quite often and they just take your credit card and hand it back to you, no sig required.

I'm looking at my credit card online and I see a $18.24 charge at KFC. I don't eat no $18 bucks worth of food at KFC ever..... I dig up the slip and I see $8.24 as the total, $18.24 tendered and $10 change. You don't get cash back from KFC.

I call them up, go down and show them the receipt, they give me $10 back. I just wonder how many other people have been ripped off by their employee doing this scam, btw they were short .30 for the night at the drive-thru register. I don't think it was a honest mistake.
Old 02-26-06, 01:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Port of Subs instead.
Old 02-26-06, 01:53 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,032
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the OP: When she rung up your order, did the total appear on the cash register facing you?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.