Reload this Page >

I need a car asap

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I need a car asap

Old 02-22-06, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need a car asap

My truck was totaled over the weekend.

To make a long story short, my car was parked at a meter and while I was away, someone smashed into it. The person was drunk and according to the police report, was attempting to make a left hand turn where there was no street (only my truck) and smashed into it.

I've been dealing with the insurance company over the past few days and worked out the estimate yesterday and am totaling the car -- which is what I wanted to have happen.

Anyway, I'm now stuck with a rental and need to buy a new car asap.

I'm currently considering any of the following (1-2 years used):
Nissan Maxima
Saab 93
Infiniti G35
Volvo S60
Audi A6
Jaguar X-type

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 02-22-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Maxima or Infiniti 1-2 years old used. I don't think the depreciation is large enough for the difference between the new and used prices at this point.

I would probably look at the Infiniti and compare it to whatever it's sister Nissan model is to see if the price difference is worth it.
Old 02-22-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

or you could buy 4 kia's
then if one broke down, you would have 3 others to chose from

Old 02-22-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My best friend's wife just bought a 2004 Acura TL last fall and she was able to get a great deal on it.

If I were to drop any car on that list it would be the Jaguar - you should be able to get much more bang for your buck than that. I like the Audi's, but that might be the most expensive car on your list next to the X-type.

What do you think of the Lexus IS (250 or 350)? I've seen some sharp-looking ones around here and you know they will last you a long time. Toyota's pre-certified program is great if you end up going through a dealer.

In the current car climate, I'd buy anything made by the Japanese before the Europeans.

Last edited by B.A.; 02-22-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 10:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What's wrong with a Honda? Or is well-made, reliable, and has a good resale value passe?
Old 02-22-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

G35
Old 02-22-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My husband has an Audi. Everything for it seems to be custom. Even having the tires changed is a PITA. I would avoid it. It is a good car otherwise though. jmho.

Why no Subaru on the list? It's AWD like the Audi and depending on how long you want the car, I've had 2 go over 200K miles. They are great cars.

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview
Old 02-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get a used Acura or Lexus.
Old 02-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
What's wrong with a Honda? Or is well-made, reliable, and has a good resale value passe?
A Honda or Toyota is a must.
Old 02-22-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
To make a long story short, my car was parked at a meter and while I was away, someone smashed into it. The person was drunk and according to the police report, was attempting to make a left hand turn where there was no street (only my truck) and smashed into it.
I'm sorry, I still can't get past this part. I mean WTF? Apparently I've never been drunk driving enough to understand this (and don't play on trying). Though my former step-dad did run down a kid's snowman in his front yard with the family car when I was a kid. OK, yeah, maybe I can understand this. That really stinks, hope you weren't really attached to your truck.
Old 02-22-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PrincessT
That really stinks, hope you weren't really attached to your truck.
Obviously he was if he is looking to get a car this time around.
Old 02-22-06, 10:48 AM

I'm sorry, I still can't get past this part. I mean WTF? Apparently I've never been drunk driving enough to understand this (and don't play on trying). Though my former step-dad did run down a kid's snowman in his front yard with the family car when I was a kid. OK, yeah, maybe I can understand this. That really stinks, hope you weren't really attached to your truck.
It sounds very strange, but according to the police report the driver was attempting to make a left-hand turn where there was no road! Hard to imagine, I know.
Old 02-22-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Subarus are what Volvos were ten years ago.
Old 02-22-06, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Obviously he was if he is looking to get a car this time around.
I liked my truck though it was nothing special (Ford Explorer Sport, so SUV technically).

Anyway, I'm looking at cars for 3 reasons:

1) Tired of SUV
2) Better gas mileage
3) Lower insurance cost
Old 02-22-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thoughts/suggestions?
I'd get a Nissan Sentra. They keep their resale value and run like a striped-assed ape.
Old 02-22-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Is this good or bad?
Old 02-22-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Friday night after work I was driving across the Country Club Plaza (an urban shopping area in Kansas City) and this truck -- a big honkin' SUV thing -- first nosed onto a one-way street the wrong way, then righted itself to go straight forward, but then pulled right out in front of three lanes of oncoming traffic. The whole time this idiot was 'testing the waters,' her signal was red. As far as I could tell, the driver wasn't on the phone or anything. She was just an imbecile. A car in the far right lane almost hit her, but swerved and went around her without even slowing. There are some STUPID people out there.

Last edited by Vibiana; 02-22-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked my truck though it was nothing special (Ford Explorer Sport, so SUV technically).

Anyway, I'm looking at cars for 3 reasons:

1) Tired of SUV
2) Better gas mileage
3) Lower insurance cost
Fuck, my wife was right - I'm not good at sarcasm.

Old 02-22-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I am a location manager of a car rental place that rents the X-Type, and we just got our '06 fleet in. Honestly though, it is a For Contour with a cat on the hood. Still drives nice in the winter with the AWD, though. So if you want to rent one to test it, no problemo. You just have to go to Pennsylvania to get it.
Old 02-22-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nissan Maxima- nice and fast car for the money, a little wierd looking, though, IMO.
Saab 93- a Chevy Malibu with a different body, there are much better cars for the money, IMO.
Infiniti G35- great car, but fairly expensive. However, they do retain their value well so it's not a bad choice
Volvo S60- personally, I really like these cars, however they seem to have a lot of problems. Also, the Ford 500 has the same platform and a lot of the same engineering for less money.
Audi A6- avoid like the plague. Really nice looking cars, terrific interior, great handling...but nothing but problems, problems, problems. I have two friends who own A6s, both are unbelievably unreliable.
Jaguar X-type- as others have said, a re badged Ford Mondeo/Contour. Aging, overpriced car. Avoid, IMO.

Definitely look at the Accord and Camry, there's a reason they sell so many of both. I also love my Mazda6. The Acura TSX is a sweet little car and a fairly good value. If you're looking over 30K, the TL and the G35 are probably your best bets. However, the Accord and Camry are both very close to being as good as those cars for many thousand less.

One more off the wall possibility: the Hyundai Azera ( http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...hyundai_azera/ ) looks great for now, we'll see how it's reviewed. Hyundais have come a long way in recent years and have terrific warranties. The new Sonata seems indistinguishable from its Japanese competitors in terms of build quality, the Azera should be even better.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-22-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Thanks for that...

Now care to expand on that a little more for those of us who do not know what Volvos were like ten years ago?
Old 02-22-06, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Thanks for that...

Now care to expand on that a little more for those of us who do not know what Volvos were like ten years ago?
I'm assuming he's referring to reliability. After Volvo and Ford merged, I've heard that the quality has taken a turn for the worse.
Old 02-22-06, 01:40 PM

Go with Acura, Lexus, or BMW.

I've had a great time with my 3 series over the last few years. It was 2 years old when I bought it. Find one with a warranty, and you are set. Even when the warranty expires, the vehicles are easy to make repairs on. I assumed the opposite when I bought it, but I've learned otherwise. So many BMW owners will automatically send the vehicle to the dealer for minor and major repairs, and I honestly think they make the cars easier to fix with the dealer in mind.

The only thing I've had to fix on it is a leaky windshield washer motor. $30. The brake pads were the easiest replacement my father and I have both seen on any vehicle.
Old 02-22-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

saab 9-2x. but finding a used one may be difficult
Old 02-22-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently considering any of the following (1-2 years used):
Nissan Maxima
Saab 93
Infiniti G35
Volvo S60
Audi A6
Jaguar X-type

Thoughts/suggestions?
Well, I've driven all of those cars. One of the luxuries of the auto business.

Maxima--if you get a 3.5, those things have some really good power. Nissan knows how to make a good engine. Not as "luxurious" as the other cars on the list, but possibly a decent value. Resale-wise, I think it's pretty decent, but I'm not sure.

Saab--not too impressed. Unless you get a manual transmission, those things have some serious turbo lag. Here in Hawaii, Saabs are not too popular, so the resale value is not that great. Might be different in your neck of the woods.

G35--coupe or sedan? I've only driven the coupe. Lots of power. Gorgeous styling. I was looking at possibly getting one until I noticed that everybody and their mama had one. We've had a couple trade-ins and there were a couple issues with both (one of them had a rust spot after just one year). The rust was covered under warranty, but it still was unusual. Also, good resale value. I'm assuming you want the sedan, though. Most of my comments would probably be applicable to the sedan, too (except it's not nearly as nice looking as the coupe).

Volvo S60--well, I work for a Volvo dealership so I know this car the best out of the group. Great safety, great gas mileage. As far as the styling, some like it, some hate it. It's subjective, of course. Resale value is decent. If you get a Certified Pre-Owned one (you should probably look for a CPO of whatever car you end up getting), you'll get a 6 yr/100k warranty (from the original in-service date). The S60 is the least problematic of the Volvo lineup and is a pretty reliable car. Also, depending on the type of S60, you could potentially get loads of power. The 2.5T would probably be suitable for you. If you need AWD, you can get it with the 2.5T (2.4T in older models) or in the R version. The R has 300hp--don't know if you need that much.

A6--nice German engineering. Interior can be a little boring. Audis are notorious for electrical problems (I have an Audi S4 so I speak from personal experience). Yeah, yeah, I drive an Audi and work @ Volvo. My next car will be a Volvo if I'm still working there when it's time to get a new car. The A6 is smooth and comfortable, maybe a bit stiff. Has decent power. Resale value is okay.

X-Type--do not get this car. The 2.5 X-Type has one of the worst resale values of any car out there. Seriously. Yeah, it's a smooth ride and rather luxurious for an entry level Jag, but avoid this car.

Hope that helped a little.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.