Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Digi camera help needed

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Digi camera help needed

Old 02-22-06, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digi camera help needed

I have a Fuji FinePix S5000 digital camera. I am trying to figure out which setting to use it on for concert photography. I will be next to the stage and no flash is permitted. Anyone know what the ideal setting is for taking pics at shows with this particular camera? I only have access for 2 songs so there is no time to "Practice" with settings.
Thanks
b.
Old 02-22-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just leave it in shutter priority mode somewhere around 1/60. Then just bump the ISO up until you can get a good exposure at that speed. However, the more you zoom in the faster you will want to set the speed to avoid camera shake.
Old 02-22-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A lot depends on what kind of concert you are talking about. An arena rock type show with tons of lighting and you should be ok. Just wait to take pics when they are using lots of bright white light and spots, not during the dimmer red and blue.

A jazz concert with dim lighting throughout and you are mostly screwed.

The problem in any case is that with dimmer lighting if you want to freeze action you have almost no choice but to up the ISO to 400 at least. With most P&S digital cams this well create undesireable noise.

If you want to freeze action you will need a shutter speed of 250 or faster.
So if you want pics of some guys running around like crazy on stage keep that in mind. Your best bet might be to pre focus on (the singer or whoever) then wait for an instant when they are fairly motionless and snap the shutter.

Despite not having a lot of time you may have to experiment a bit with a setting. It is digital after all so you can immediately view the results.

Still not sure what to do? Maybe just pre set the camera at 125 shutter speed and ISO at 200 and see how that looks. If the place ends up being really bright try jacking up the shutter speed if you need to stop action.
Old 02-22-06, 01:26 PM

It's a Motley Crue show. I'll be in the press pit for 2 songs only.
thanks.b.
Old 02-22-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I say put it in aperture priority mode at the widest opening AKA 2.8 etc. and whatever shutter speed you get you get.

So try to hold the camera still and squeeze the shutter-don't stab at it so you reduce vibration/camera shake. If the singer is moving around try panning at the same speed. If you do it correctly they'll be fairly sharp and the background will blur. Cool effect.

You probably want to put it on spot or center-weights metering as most concerts have a lot of dark area around the performers which will make everything overexposed.

Don't forget to post pix so we can see how you did. Closure!
Old 02-23-06, 12:15 AM

Thanks allot for the info.
The pics and show review will be posted online at www.metal-rules.com
b.
Old 02-23-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay. Bump the thread when they're on the page.
Old 02-23-06, 11:58 AM

If all goes good it will be up around 2nd week of March. I will bump this up.
tks
b.

EDIT: I set the A option to F2.8 and the S option is at S250 F2.8 Sound good?? I will shoot 1 song with each and hope for the best.

Last edited by Celtic Bob; 02-23-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I try to take shots at shows when I can but I am horribly amateurish at best. Just needs practice. What irritates me more than anything else is how much my hands shake.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite shots that I've taken:
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah 2005-10-26 - f/3.0 at 1/20 (don't remember ISO setting)

I didn't even need to change or edit anything in Photoshop...
Old 02-23-06, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I try to take shots at shows when I can but I am horribly amateurish at best. Just needs practice. What irritates me more than anything else is how much my hands shake.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite shots that I've taken:
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah 2005-10-26 - f/3.0 at 1/20 (don't remember ISO setting)

I didn't even need to change or edit anything in Photoshop...
Great shot. Hopefully I can do just as well. I never remember what settings I use. I usually just shoot and hope for the best. I tried to check a few times to see if they are OK but there isn't enough time. Here is one i did last summer. The CT was from audience and a few of the Alice was from the press pit (between stage and barrier), the rest was from the floor.
http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/inde...=354&Itemid=59
Old 02-23-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
I have a Fuji FinePix S5000 digital camera. I am trying to figure out which setting to use it on for concert photography. I will be next to the stage and no flash is permitted. Anyone know what the ideal setting is for taking pics at shows with this particular camera? I only have access for 2 songs so there is no time to "Practice" with settings.
Thanks
b.
flash would'nt help anyway, your flash is not going to illuminate the whole area.
Old 02-23-06, 01:21 PM

Flash is not allowed. If flash goes off I get kicked out of show/venue.
Old 02-23-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a nice shot, Bob.

If the band has big overhead lights I try and get pictures like this one. My problem with photographing bands is that I find it very difficult to pass the emotion of the performance on with the photograph. It's very rare that I can capture something like that. Half of the time it's just them "standing around". I guess part of the thrill is capturing the right photograph technically (speed, focus, etc) and the right action.

Other pictures: here and here.
Old 02-23-06, 11:51 PM

That shot was done with a basic point and shoot and 800 ISO film.
Old 02-24-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Flash is not allowed. If flash goes off I get kicked out of show/venue.

It looks like you used flash for the Cheap Trick shots of Rick and Tom.
Old 02-24-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's a nice shot, Bob.

If the band has big overhead lights I try and get pictures like this one. My problem with photographing bands is that I find it very difficult to pass the emotion of the performance on with the photograph. It's very rare that I can capture something like that. Half of the time it's just them "standing around". I guess part of the thrill is capturing the right photograph technically (speed, focus, etc) and the right action.

Other pictures: here and here.

Strong agreement on the part of many shots just being the artist standing around. I know of a few photogs that get attention for their great shots but they are just average shots (at best) of the more famous singers standing around.

Some shows I shoot don't do much for me visually but aurally they may have been great. I've photographed Liz Phair about four times and not found much that stood out despite everyone thinking she's hot. I find that a low angle is not the best for her. The last show I did get a higher percentage that I liked.
Old 03-05-06, 07:43 AM

I managed to get a few decent shots. Only had access to a third of the stage (Nikki's side). No flash. Very difficult show as allot of red lights and flames. I will post pics later today or tomorrow as I have to resize and watermark.
b.
Old 03-14-06, 12:07 AM

Pics and review are all up at www.metal-rules.com It's the Motley Crue review.
Also take a look around and at the Jason Hook (Hilary Duff/ex- Vince Neil) interview I just did. It's in the Let's Get Rocked section.
Hope you enjoy it
b.