Reload this Page >

Idiot wrecks Ferrari Enzo - There goes that Million

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anybody else catch this. Unreal. The guy on the scene says he wasn't the driver, and it was somebody who fled the scene.

http://www.nbc4.tv/traffic/7292691/detail.html

This site has a cool picture where you can see the engine ended up going like 200 yds from the engine. Amazingly the dude was ok even going possibly upwards of 200 mph.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/more-on-the-enzo-incident-on-pch-with-photos-156121.php
Old 02-21-06, 06:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The driving cell looks immaculate, worked as designed, awesome.
sucks to be the guy who crashed it though
Old 02-21-06, 06:58 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Sheriff Says Car Could Have Been Going Up To 200 MPH

POSTED: 8:36 am PST February 21, 2006
UPDATED: 11:59 am PST February 21, 2006

MALIBU, Calif. -- A speeding Ferrari whose driver may have been racing crashed Tuesday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, prompting the closure of the roadway and an investigation to determine who was behind the wheel, officials said.

h
Paramedics sent to PCH at Decker Road about 6:15 a.m. treated one person at at the scene for a minor injury, said Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Ron Haralson.

That man, whose name was not immediately released, told authorities he was the owner of the Ferrari Enzo, but claimed that he was the passenger and that the driver ran off after the crash.

"The fact (is) that the passenger is the registered owner of the vehicle, from the Beverly Hills-Bel Air area. The passenger had blood on his mouth and both airbags on the car deployed, but only the driver's side airbag had blood on it, not the passenger side," said Sgt. Phillip Brooks.

As of late Tuesday morning, there had been no arrests in the case, according to the watch commander at the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's Station.

The Ferrari Enzo, a limited-edition vehicle worth between $600,000 and $1 million, has a published top speed of 225 mph.

"We have the passenger, who told us the driver did flee from the scene," Brooks said. "And we... followed some footprints up the side of the hill in an effort to locate the driver."

Authorities believe the Ferrari "was traveling at least 100 mph and it will probably be a lot more than that once we conclude our investigation," Brooks said.

Authorities said the driver of the Ferrari might have been racing a motorist in a Mercedes Benz.

The impact sheared the Ferrari in half, with the entire front section separated from the rest of the vehicle.

"For a million dollars, you get a very good passenger-safety system, and apparently in this case it did work," Brooks said.

Some electrical service was interrupted in the area after a power pole was struck by the car. At least one lane of PCH remained closed late Tuesday morning while crews worked to replace the damaged pole.
Old 02-21-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kee-ripes!!
Old 02-21-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like someone had a PGR3 moment.
Old 02-21-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the bold parts

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_052110615.html

Speeding Ferrari Sheared In Half After PCH Crash

Save It
Email this Article Email It
Print this Article Print It

(CBS) MALIBU, Calif. A Ferrari that crashed Tuesday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu and nearly split in half is suspected of racing, authorities said.

One person was treated at the scene for a minor injury just after 6:15 a.m., where the Ferrari hit an electrical pole and was sheared in half, with the front section separated from the rest of the vehicle.

Stefan Erikssen, 44, of Los Angeles, and a Swedish national, told authorities he was the owner of the destroyed Ferrari Enzo. Erikssen, whose blood-alcohol level was .09, claims he was the passenger at the time of the crash, and that the driver ran off after the crash, Sheriff’s Sgt. Philip Brooks said.

Erikssen told police that a German named Dietrich was driving the car. Police say the Ferrari may have been involved in a race with a Mercedes.

The Ferrari was driving in excess of 120 mph when the accident happened. It skidded up the side of the hill and most likely went airborne, Brooks said. The race was allegedly staged following a late-night party in Beverly Hills.

Detectives are investigating whether Erikssen was actually the driver, but no one has been arrested yet.

"The fact (is) that the ‘passenger’ is the registered owner of the vehicle, from the Beverly Hills/Bel Air area; the ‘passenger’ had blood on his mouth; and both airbags on the car deployed, but only the driver's side airbag had blood on it, not the passenger side," Brooks said.

The Ferrari Enzo is a limited-edition vehicle worth between $600,000 and $1 million. It has 650 horsepower and a published top speed of 225 mph.
Old 02-21-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vasb
...talking to some friends on the phone and IM
My ass, Mr. vasb of Los Angeles!
Old 02-21-06, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
I love the bold parts
I suspect the hunt for Dietrich is going to join the ranks of OJ's search for the real killers
Old 02-21-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how long the skidmarks were on the road? Going 200mph probably left some really good ones.
Old 02-21-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why are cars that go this fast street legal? there is no reason people need cars this fast on the street.
Old 02-21-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do we as a society make guns and produce drugs?

Everything is personal choice. Just because a car can do 200+mph doesn't mean it has to.

My car goes 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds. Only time its ever done that though is on the track. Its all personal choice.
Old 02-22-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FiveO
Why do we as a society make guns and produce drugs?

Everything is personal choice. Just because a car can do 200+mph doesn't mean it has to.

My car goes 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds. Only time its ever done that though is on the track. Its all personal choice.
i still dont think theres a reason to have street legal cars that go that fast....keep your fast cars at the track....where they belong.
Old 02-22-06, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chino77
i still dont think theres a reason to have street legal cars that go that fast....keep your fast cars at the track....where they belong.
Or, how about I only drive my car fast at the track, and obey the law when I'm on the street? Just because something can be used illegally doesn't mean it will. Punish the behavior, not the possibility of behavior.
Old 02-22-06, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, that sucks. But I would've loved to see that race with the McLaren SLR.

Old 02-22-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The safety features worked well, it seems. Lucky for him/them.
Old 02-22-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

why are cars that go this fast street legal? there is no reason people need cars this fast on the street.
You're hurting my ears with that language.
Old 02-22-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Oh noes! Did you know that your computer could be used to find/store/view/share kiddie pr0n, copyrighted music and movie files, and pirated software? You should box it up and get rid of it quick, it's too powerful!
Old 02-22-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by immortal_zeus
Damn, that sucks. But I would've loved to see that race with the McLaren SLR.

Is that what the driver was racing? I was trying to think what Benz would even make it a race, and thought I read it was a mercedes.
Old 02-22-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Or, how about I only drive my car fast at the track, and obey the law when I'm on the street? Just because something can be used illegally doesn't mean it will. Punish the behavior, not the possibility of behavior.
Thats life. Honest people have to pay for the few that break the rules. I also feel they should limit the speed of cars to the speed limit. Or 75 at the most. There is absoutley no need to drive any faster than that.
Old 02-22-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Thats life. Honest people have to pay for the few that break the rules. I also feel they should limit the speed of cars to the speed limit. Or 75 at the most. There is absoutley no need to drive any faster than that.

Tell that to states where the speed limit on interstate highways is 80.

That argument is just stupid. What happens if you get into a car crash at 70 mph? You die. What happens if you get into a car crash at 150 mph? You die. If you want to save lifes then the speed limit of cars should be 40 mph.
Old 02-22-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok. I can live with that if thats the speed limit.

edit: I see you added more. No it's not stupid. There are tons of facts that state the difference between the fatality rates in speed differences. Your chances of living a 70mph crash vs. a 150mph crash are much much greater. Cars' safetey equipment is far more reliable at 70 than 150.

Last edited by kantonburg; 02-22-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok. I can live with that if thats the speed limit.
You must have a lot of free time to dedicate to driving places. Fast cars don't kill people. Stupid drivers kill people. We need education not new laws.
Old 02-22-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
You must have a lot of free time to dedicate to driving places. Fast cars don't kill people. Stupid drivers kill people. We need education not new laws.
All the education in the world won't prevent a 16 year old kid from "seeing" if their new car will really do 120mph. We all know the cliche. Until someone just takes the ability away it'll never stop. That my friend is a fact.
Old 02-22-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All the education in the world won't prevent a 16 year old kid from "seeing" if their new car will really do 120mph. We all know the cliche. Until someone just takes the ability away it'll never stop. That my friend is a fact.

Well there are tons of things in this world that are dangerous in the wrong hands. Making more laws isn't the answer unless you don't like living with the freedoms this country gives you. But that's for another time.
Old 02-22-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Not worth arguing over. Because we both know it'll never change. :shake:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.