Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, Tell me about Altamonte Springs.....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out an hour ago, that I'll be flying out to Altamonte Springs tonight for work, and head home Friday night. I've never been there, any Otters have ideas and info on what to do there on my free time? Also, places to go for good food?

Last edited by Minor Threat; 02-21-06 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 03:03 PM

It's near Orlando. That's all.
Old 02-21-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a fairly typical suburb town, blending into the other suburb towns nearby.

It's about 10 minutes from downtown Orlando, which you'll pass through on the way from the airport (if you're flying into Orlando International).

What sort of thing are you looking to do? You looking for places to get a drink, restaurants, tourist-type stuff, movie theaters, malls, Asian massage parlors or what?
Old 02-21-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdodd
It's a fairly typical suburb town, blending into the other suburb towns nearby.

It's about 10 minutes from downtown Orlando, which you'll pass through on the way from the airport (if you're flying into Orlando International).

What sort of thing are you looking to do? You looking for places to get a drink, restaurants, tourist-type stuff, movie theaters, malls, Asian massage parlors or what?
I'm kinda against tourist type stuff, and won't have a lot of off time. Mainly I'm looking for good LOCAL restaurants and maybe a good local pub. Massage parlors? No.....
Old 02-21-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieN
It's near Orlando. That's all.

Thanks Ed - you're going to do well here.....

Old 02-21-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably won't be able to post anymore as I'm off to the airport in a few. I'll check back later when I'm at the hotel. Any posts appreciated.

Out.....
Old 02-21-06, 03:27 PM

Actually, I guess that I sounded like an ass there. Really it was meant to be taken as if there's nothing much to do there. Just another boring suburb.
Old 02-21-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this thread has a "happy ending"
Old 02-21-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Post where you're staying and I'll try to recommend some good eats and a good bar or two near there tomorrow. It's a small town, but a clearer idea of where your hotel is will probably spark my memory of what's good near there.
Old 02-21-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's a suburb of Orlando, just east of it. Downtown Orlando is about 10 minutes west down I-4. The Universal Studios/Disney area is about 20-25 minutes west. Daytona Beach is about 40 minutes east on I-4. I would avoid Downtown Orlando on Tuesday or Wednesday night, it's dead. There's LOTS of places to eat... your typical "stuff around the mall" area, Chilis, Winghouse, Fridays, ect ect. There are several strip clubs a few miles down the road if you are into that sort of thing. If you like "white trash" dive bars, there are several around, just ask a local. There's a nice more upscale place to eat / drink right behind the Mall that overlooks a lake, I forget the name, but it's behind the mall. It's a fairly safe subruban area, if you have a rental car, just drive around up and down the main road and you will find lots to do and eat.

Edit : oh, there's also a place called the Ale House (again, by the mall) really good food, lots of drinks ($1.50 pints!), pool, open til 2am, they have an outside patio bar, lots of girls at night. It's packed on Ladies Night. might be your best bet (but then I don't know what you are into)

Last edited by turborobb; 02-21-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-21-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, just a suburb of Orlando...There is a good Cuban restaurant on 436 called Don Pepe's that had really good food and Mojitos. There is also a pretty good all you can eat sushi restaurant in same shopping center called Crazy Buffet. I know it sounds kinda stupid, or like one of those touristy type places out by Disney, but its actually pretty nice with some decent food. There is an excellent Kosher Deli called Amira's on the same road, closer towards Orlando that has great food, is Kosher (dont think it matters probably in your case, but its authentic) and is fairly inexpensive. Night life is pretty meh, but you are not that far from Orlando, and there are some strip clubs on 17-92 and 436, plus dog racing.
Old 02-21-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I'm in Apopka right now - about 2 miles from Altamonte Springs - we could hang out.
Old 02-21-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So --- two Kansans in the Orlando area! woo hoo!
Old 02-22-06, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be heading to the same place late March for training. I was there last August, which really sucked.

The Ale House is good. There is a Japanese Steakhouse close by that was good as well. Seafood all over the place. The mall is pretty lame, but you can buy liquor in the grocery stores. The Winghouse is exactly like Hooters, which I think was the intention.

Oh, and the beer sucks. The East coast doesn't have shit for beer.
Old 02-23-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at "The Ale House" last night (this morning, I guess, I was there till 1:30am)

I headed over to Winter Park before the ale house to have free beer at Fiddler's Green - Guiness was throwing a free beer promotion.

And now I'm back in Kansas. Geez.
Old 02-24-06, 12:00 AM

Altemonte sits on I-4 and 436. Not a good combo for traffic. The mall was the only place that I thought was decent. Not much else there. Sorry.
Old 02-24-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, Altamonte Springs. I lived there for several months about 15 years ago. Don't know how much it's changed since then, but it was fairly boring at the time. From the sounds of things, not much has changed.
Old 02-24-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seeker
I was at "The Ale House" last night (this morning, I guess, I was there till 1:30am)

I headed over to Winter Park before the ale house to have free beer at Fiddler's Green - Guiness was throwing a free beer promotion.

And now I'm back in Kansas. Geez.
Fiddler's Green is/was one of my fav places, and one of the places I miss...They have really good fish and chips and Potato Leek soup. Of course the Guiness is always good as well.