Reload this Page >

Pull Tabs for Charity?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pull Tabs for Charity?

Old 02-20-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull Tabs for Charity?

What is the deal with collecting soda pull tabs for charity? At work, we have a box for empty soda cans and then a box to put pull tabs in. I think it is for Ronald McDonald house. There can't be any financial value behind them like recycling aluminum.
Old 02-20-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Obligatory Snopes link.
Old 02-20-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I still see a little box for them in stores on occasion.
Old 02-20-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i remember back in the late 80's early 90's Coca Cola had red pull tabs for a summer. You could turn them in at a department store for t-shirts, beach towels, etc. I think it was sears or JC Penney...i remember getting a stationary set that had a pencil sharpener with a coca cola logo in the shape of a fat short pencil.
Old 02-20-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We collect them at work for the Ronald McDonald house... I have no idea how much they get for them. Heck we don't even have a soda machine that dispenses cans.
Old 02-20-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lateralus
We collect them at work for the Ronald McDonald house... I have no idea how much they get for them. Heck we don't even have a soda machine that dispenses cans.
It needs be stressed yet again that pull tabs are far from "found money" even the Ronald McDonald House gets only 40 cents a pound for them (or $474 per million tabs, according to their web page). You'd still do far more good organizing a local soda can recycling program and donating the proceeds of same to Ronald McDonald House (or any other charity). - Snopes
Old 02-20-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$474 per million. What a worthless cause.
Old 02-20-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
$474 per million. What a worthless cause.
It's not worthless. If you worked at a place that consumed 100 cans of coke per day, you could collect $474 worth of tabs in a mere 33.3 years.
Old 02-20-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember when my grandma used to get everyone in their trailer park to save them for one of my siblings for school.
Old 02-20-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is pretty worthless, why even bother.
Old 02-21-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My daughter's school is collecting them all year. The class with the most gets some sort of prize-no doubt worth more than the tabs.
Old 02-21-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never understood why they didn't collect the whole can.
Old 02-21-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
When I was in college, I remember something about "fuck tabs" and "blowjob tabs."

From what I recall, a "fuck tab" was an unbroken tab from a beer can, while the "blowjob tab" was a broken one.

I'm not sure how -- or from whom -- they were redeemed. I just remember one of my friends freaking out when I ripped the tab from a Keystone can and broke it.
Old 02-21-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember in the late '80s and early '90s there'd be plastic bags on soda machines - save tabs so some kid could have kidney dialysis. Serious. The pitch was that if the hospital didn't get their pull tabs, they'd unhook the kid and he'd die.

I never took them off and pissed off some people by telling them that their cause was a fake (this was long before it was as easy as pointing to snopes). Eventually they learned I was right, of course.

By the way, with regard to the Ronald McDonald house, it was my understanding that they like pull tabs because they are easy to store and much less bulky per pound than even crushed aluminum cans would be.
Old 02-21-06, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to collect the pull tabs to get into the Guinness Book of World Records. I don't remember how many I had, but they told me that they wouldn't add me because there wasn't already a record in the book for it.

A few years later, someone else was in there for the same thing. Fuckers.
Old 02-21-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

21 tabs = one penny. I wonder what someone would do if you actually gave pennies instead. Probably call you a cheapskate.
Old 02-21-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
I remember in the late '80s and early '90s there'd be plastic bags on soda machines - save tabs so some kid could have kidney dialysis. Serious. The pitch was that if the hospital didn't get their pull tabs, they'd unhook the kid and he'd die.

I never took them off and pissed off some people by telling them that their cause was a fake (this was long before it was as easy as pointing to snopes). Eventually they learned I was right, of course.
OK, so far you seem like a smart guy.

By the way, with regard to the Ronald McDonald house, it was my understanding that they like pull tabs because they are easy to store and much less bulky per pound than even crushed aluminum cans would be.
D'oh. From Snopes:
Seeing as how folks were bound and determined to collect pull-tabs for charity, in 1987 McDonald's found it a good idea to get into the act. Their Pop Tab Collection program is a response to pull tab mania, and although its web presence perpetuates the myth that the tabs are made of a purer form of aluminium than the rest of the can, it at least provides folks with a place to dump the tabs they've been hoarding over the years in the belief they could use them to purchase dialysis time for an ailing child. Tabs dropped off at various McDonald's are taken to a local recycling company, and the money made from selling them for their scrap value is given to the local Ronald McDonald House to help defray operating costs.

It needs be stressed yet again that pull tabs are far from "found money" even the Ronald McDonald House gets only 40 cents a pound for them (or $474 per million tabs, according to their web page). You'd still do far more good organizing a local soda can recycling program and donating the proceeds of same to Ronald McDonald House (or any other charity).
I find it interesting that on one hand, you realize the silliness of the effort, then turn around and seem to promote it again.
Old 02-21-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only are they less bulky, they don't have bug attracting sticky soda left in them.
Old 02-21-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
...D'oh. From Snopes:I find it interesting that on one hand, you realize the silliness of the effort, then turn around and seem to promote it again.
I know, it seems like an effort in futility and that they would get more money from other places, but they are the ones who pass out the little cardboard houses for pull tabs. My thought is that they do this is not because of the money they bring in (which would be minimal), but so that the little houses are near recycle areas and thus a lot of people see them, thus think about them. Free advertising.

And no, I've never put a tab into them, but have supported them in other ways.
Old 02-21-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Palaver
21 tabs = one penny.
It probably takes a couple hundred tabs just to pay for the stupid cardboard house you deposit the tabs into
Old 02-21-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It's not worthless. If you worked at a place that consumed 100 cans of coke per day, you could collect $474 worth of tabs in a mere 33.3 years.
how much would a company collect if instead of tabs, they collected 1 penny for each can of soda during the same time period?
Old 02-21-06, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
21 tabs = one penny. I wonder what someone would do if you actually gave pennies instead. Probably call you a cheapskate.
So the 1/20 of $.01 coupon you use to save $.50 on your six pack is worth more than the tab, even when it's expired.
Old 02-21-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
how much would a company collect if instead of tabs, they collected 1 penny for each can of soda during the same time period?
How many cheap fuckers are more likely to donate a pull tab than actually go out of their way to pony up some spare change?
Old 02-21-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An interesting fact from McDonalds corporate site:

- To date, more than 400 million pop tabs have been collected, generating more than $4 million.
Old 02-26-06, 10:47 PM

I was at a Cub Scout banquet today and the speaker announced that they were collecting the tabs from the soda cans for Ronald McDonald House. A couple of people actually started applauding. Tabs were collected, a great time was had by all etc. At the end when everyone was cleaning up the soda cans went into the trash. Makes sense to me....