Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Work Reviews

Old 02-19-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work Reviews

I'm at work writing reviews. I hate writing reviews. I want to go home and play animal crossing.

Damn it takes me like 2 hours for each one and I haven't even gotten to one I have to do on myself. This sucks big yayas. Why can't they hire someone to write reviews for me? Is that to much to ask?

Writing the good parts are easy, its the need work parts that are a pain. You have to put down something and can't just say hey they are greatest thing since slice bread even if they are. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 02-19-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're at work. On a Sunday. At 9:56pm est.

Old 02-19-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you feel better now?
Old 02-19-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

give us the form questions.. and we will give you some needs improvement responses to put in there
Old 02-19-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have always hated that aspect of doing employee reviews, then I realized that EVERYONE needs improvement on something. No one is "the perfect employee" and if they are (or they appear to be) then they are stealing from you

2 hours??? holy shit, I am lucky if I spend 30 minutes on each persons review.

What I truly hate is when you point out someone's weak spots and then they sit and argue it with you. I just make sure that when I put down anything negative I have side notes that give exact examples of what they did that caused me to write what I wrote. Some dipshits still argue it. For these special people, I have an extra sit down with them throughout the year to just pull them aside and say, yeah you see stupid shit you did? that is going on your review, I am telling you now for two reasons, one for you to not do it again, and two so you don't argue with me about how perfect you are at review time

people
Old 02-19-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Areas in need of improvement: Peeing in the butt capabilities.
Old 02-20-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figured you could just get a rubber stamp that said "Bring more strippers to work.", and use that for the needing improvement section.

If you spent one hour going to a stamp store, you could save days on future reviews. You may even be able to put that down as one of your achievements. "Improved productivity with minimal cost to the company."
Old 02-20-06, 07:53 AM

I'm not a manager, but I think that reviews are getting to be more and more of a pain in the ass as companies expect them to be longer and more specifically critical. In my company you cannot earn a grade of more than satisfactory on your review unless you're on the view of being promoted.
Mine is coming up next week. I look forward to spacing out for half an hour.
Old 02-20-06, 09:01 AM

I'm glad I'm not a manager. My employer had us fill out a self-review last month. We had to give ourselves a score of "excellent", "satisfactory" or "needs improvement" on a variety of topics. If you gave yourself anything beside "satisfactory" you had to write down a justification.

Feeling annoyed at this waste of time, I put "satisfactory" on every single topic. My manager rejected my self-review, saying I was an excellent employee and was depriving myself of an opportunity. Now I was really annoyed, so I redid it, giving myself a "needs improvement" in about half of the topics, and wrote in a bunch of super-critical comments about myself.
Old 02-20-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
I'm glad I'm not a manager. My employer had us fill out a self-review last month. We had to give ourselves a score of "excellent", "satisfactory" or "needs improvement" on a variety of topics. If you gave yourself anything beside "satisfactory" you had to write down a justification.

Feeling annoyed at this waste of time, I put "satisfactory" on every single topic. My manager rejected my self-review, saying I was an excellent employee and was depriving myself of an opportunity. Now I was really annoyed, so I redid it, giving myself a "needs improvement" in about half of the topics, and wrote in a bunch of super-critical comments about myself.
I had just left a group at my company, and the people in my old group had to fill one of these out about themselves. Some of them did what you originally did, and others did what you later did. The ones who were critical about themselves ended up getting laid off, while the others got to keep their jobs.

My old supervisor was not typical, though, and was universally hated.