Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

"Undercover" police work ain't all that bad.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-19-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. -- Undercover sex is getting the OK from a Virginia sheriff.

Spotsylvania County Sheriff Howard Smith said he stands by the practice of allowing detectives to receive sexual services in the course of their investigations so they can catch suspects in the act.

Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at a massage parlor to perform sex acts on them. In one case, a lawman left a $350 tip. Smith acknowledged the practice is not new.

Smith told The Washington Post that only unmarried detectives are allowed to do the under-the-covers work.

He said actual sex acts are needed to help win prostitution convictions.

"If I thought we could get the conviction without that, we wouldn't allow it," Smith told the newspaper. "If you want to make them, this has to be done."

He said most prostitutes are careful not to say anything incriminating, which makes sexual contact necessary

Several police officials and legal observers say the practice has been tried by other agencies across the country, but they knew of none that still permit sexual contact with suspects as part of prostitution investigations. But many police agencies across the country have banned sexual contact between investigators and suspects.

When police used similar tactics in the past in Montgomery County, Md., the charges ended up being dropped.
$350 tip? Must have been one heck of a b/j.
Old 02-19-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's a bunch of bullshit unless the cop gives himself a ticket for accepting the services. It takes two to commit a sex "crime" like that (well, at least two).
Old 02-19-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear our law enforcement officers are willing to go the extra mile to stop this absolutely devastating "crime".

das
Old 02-19-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do these guys tell their wives?

"Honey, I swear that I had to accept this BJ. My life was in danger. I would have been killed had I not accepted."

"It's for the good of society that I accept these BJs honey. I am keeping the streets safe."
Old 02-19-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sherm42
What do these guys tell their wives?

"Honey, I swear that I had to accept this BJ. My life was in danger. I would have been killed had I not accepted."

"It's for the good of society that I accept these BJs honey. I am keeping the streets safe."
From the article
Smith told The Washington Post that only unmarried detectives are allowed to do the under-the-covers work.
Old 02-19-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming these cops are just as willing to "go the extra mile" to stamp out male prostitution.
Old 02-19-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork
I'm assuming these cops are just as willing to "go the extra mile" to stamp out male prostitution.
I had no idea art was a cop.
Old 02-19-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should sign up for the force and lead that unit, dork. You and Art could do it.
Old 02-19-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NCMojo
I had no idea art was a cop.
Bastard, you beat me to it.
Old 02-19-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bushdog
You should sign up for the force and lead that unit, dork. You and Art could do it.
You leave my unit alone. Anyway, you and Mojo just made an art sandwich.
Old 02-19-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This seems a highly discriminatary policy. You can't fire someone just because they get married, you can't refuse to hire someone based solely on their marital status, but you can get a bj if you're married? Just wait until one of the married cops takes them to court over this. They're leaving themselves wide open for a discrimination lawsuit.

I call unfair
Old 02-19-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do I imagine that every unmarried cop in that area has volunteered for this duty?
Old 02-19-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a repost from adult that I won't link to.

This practice is nothing new, just some dumbass cop admitting it to the public.
Old 02-19-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

i assume they also let undercover cops do drugs, while trying to make a drug bust.. right?
Old 02-19-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by twikoff
i assume they also let undercover cops do drugs, while trying to make a drug bust.. right?
They are willing to smoke that joint for the good of the people! No line is too big to snort, and no acid too potent to hit.

I don't really agree with the practice listed by the OP. You'd think we'd be more concerned with more damaging law breakers than prostitution and massage parlors. blah.

-p
Old 02-19-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they let female police officers working a prostituion sting complete a sex act with the Johns so they coould get a conviction? Fair is fair.
Old 02-19-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mike45
Did they let female police officers working a prostituion sting complete a sex act with the Johns so they coould get a conviction? Fair is fair.
I agree.

All the inequality in this operation bothers me a lot more than the prostitution they're trying to stop.
Old 02-20-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Prostitution shouldn't be a crime, and police departments wasting valuable resources on it is a disgrace.
Agreed.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. With all of the violent crime, drugs, and corruption....they go after prostitutes? It is a morality battle, and it isn't that I'm pro-prostitute, but if my taxes are paying for the police, i'd like to be protected from the violent criminals and drugs. It isn't like there has been a wav of violent prostitutes holding up defenseless johns.

-p
Old 02-20-06, 01:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmmm, so being a cop you get have sex on the job....gee they better not complain about working conditions.