Old 02-16-06, 01:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody may be stealing your child's identity

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/us....nfant_id_theft
Old 02-16-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since a child cannot legally enter into a contract, they can't be held responsible for a debt. Any company that issues credit based on a minor's SSN deserves whatever charges they incur.
Old 02-16-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happened to my niece. She went to get her drivers license and they found out another license had been issued with that SSN. Turns out it was an illegal alien who claimed to have made the number up. It is taking them forever to get it all straightened out.
Old 02-16-06, 03:26 PM

Part of what I do involves running credit reports. I get fake ones submitted to me at least a few times a week. Illegals do it ALL THE TIME. SSN's that they just make up that may or may not already belong to someone else.
Old 02-16-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by beavismom
This happened to my niece. She went to get her drivers license and they found out another license had been issued with that SSN. Turns out it was an illegal alien who claimed to have made the number up. It is taking them forever to get it all straightened out.
That's what I don't understand. Why would it take so long for something like this to be straightened out? Isn't it pretty straightforward (this is my SSN, here's my birth certificate and SSN card, etc.)? Why do these kinds of cases of identity theft take so long to work out?
Old 02-16-06, 03:41 PM

short answer: bureaucracy
Old 02-16-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's what I don't understand. Why would it take so long for something like this to be straightened out? Isn't it pretty straightforward (this is my SSN, here's my birth certificate and SSN card, etc.)? Why do these kinds of cases of identity theft take so long to work out?
They have to make sure you are indeed who you say you are and entitled to use the number. Fake documents look pretty good these days so there is plenty of red tape to go through.

In this case the guy only used the number to get his drivers license and for work. In the past, you only had to give the number, not show the card so it went undiscovered till my niece was old enough to get her drivers license. They are actually going to try to get the license again (with all their new documentation) tomorrow.

Last edited by beavismom; 02-16-06 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-17-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Because the credit reporting agencies make more money off negative reports, than stellar reports. Remember, companies who finance don't make much money off of great credit ratings. They actually prefer poor credit ratings so they can justify the higher APR. If you don't have justification as a company to charge higher finance charges, ala bad credit, then you can't charge higher rates. Some say 1/3 of the bad credit reports of Americans are due to fraud and simple stupidity by the agencies typing the wrong information and being lazy about fixing them.

Now this may seem contrary: Credit reporting agencies make money by reporting negative information about you. They could care less about your great credit score. They want the bad. Why? Because bad credit is big business. They have a legal right to sell your credit information to virtually anyone.