Reload this Page >

Is the 30k service really necessary?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-14-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 04 honda odyssey and the maintenance light came on, the service place said its because its due for its 30k service, change all fluids, rotate, align etc. I was going to have it realigned anyway but my god $350.00!! On the other hand this dealership has done a ton for me in regards to comp repairs on ther things and almost feel like I need to do it anyway, what do you think?
Old 02-14-06, 12:36 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Failure to have the recommended maintenance done could nullify any warranty that may still apply.
Old 02-14-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Acccording to Honda (I called once) not following thier schedule will not void your warentee...only proof that the car has been neglected and abused will void the warentee
Old 02-14-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Kman1011
We have an 04 honda odyssey and the maintenance light came on, the service place said its because its due for its 30k service, change all fluids, rotate, align etc. I was going to have it realigned anyway but my god $350.00!! On the other hand this dealership has done a ton for me in regards to comp repairs on ther things and almost feel like I need to do it anyway, what do you think?
Go to your local gas station mechanic and get an itemized reciept...you'll pay less than half
Old 02-14-06, 01:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Follow the car manual, not the dealer. The dealer's service just pads on extras for profit.
Old 02-14-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- Change the oil and filter (You)
- Change Air Filter (You)
- Change Windshield Wipers (You)
- Rotate/Balance your tires (Mech)
- Check Transmission Fluid (might need a flush; Mech)
- Check Break Pads (You)
- Check Spark Plugs (You)
- Wheel Alignment (Mech)

....oh yeah... top-off all fluids (You)

Think that should be less than $350.
Old 02-14-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 30k service would have been $450 at the dealership. I change my own air filter and oil, I use synthetic and I pay about $25 for oil and filter alone. I also change my own plugs. I had the tranny, rear end and radiator flushed at a local oil/lube shop. And my tire rotation is done on a regular basis for free at the tire store I purchased them at. I paid a lot less than $450 for all of this.
Old 02-14-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My 30k service would have been $700 at the dealership. I asked for a list of what they did, chose 4 items, and did the rest myself. They charged about $200 to:

Change transmission fluid
Change coolant
Change brake fluid
Change differential fluid or something like that.

I probably still got ripped off, but i was happy with what I saved.
Old 02-14-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TOTALLY forget the dealer...if you dont have a regular mechanic at a gas station, pick a place that looks like somewhere it wouldnt kill you to spend a couple of minutes at a time waiting and establish a relationship with the guy who runs the shop....believe me, when you come in for your regular maintainance there, they will soon 'know' you, and bump you to the front of the line...over the life of your car, having all your routine maintainance done there will save you 1000's of dollars, which is like having the last 3-4 months of your car payment free
Old 02-14-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
TOTALLY forget the dealer...if you dont have a regular mechanic at a gas station, pick a place that looks like somewhere it wouldnt kill you to spend a couple of minutes at a time waiting and establish a relationship with the guy who runs the shop....believe me, when you come in for your regular maintainance there, they will soon 'know' you, and bump you to the front of the line...over the life of your car, having all your routine maintainance done there will save you 1000's of dollars, which is like having the last 3-4 months of your car payment free
I've had the complete opposite experience with cars. For piece of mind and maintaining a car long term, dealers cannot be beat.

Automakers (the bastards) have worked hard over the past few decades to ensure that working on their cars requires proprietary electronics and tools. Dealers have the right tools, Joe's Garage doesn't. You can get the basics (oil/filter, air filter etc) done at the corner shop, but anything more extensive I'd go to the dealer. This is especially true when you're having a tricky problem with a car. You're much less likely to have any problems with a dealer's service and that will probably save you money in the long run.... then again I'm a lazy worrywart so what do I know.
Old 02-14-06, 03:55 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
$350 is actually cheap for a 30k service.
Old 02-14-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dealer will fuck you everytime (that's for you immortal_zeus)

Perform the 30k mile recommended service in your factory owners manual (ignore the extras the dealer tells you that you need).

You can do it yourself for cheap or find a quality mechanic that is not the dealer to do it for you. A non-dealer mechanic will charge you about half as much. non-dealers also have much of the electronics needed to troubleshoot a problem, don't beleive the poster that told you otherwise. You can even buy this equipment yourself if you want to (ODBII reader).

Today's cars need very little service at 30k and the delaer always has some outrageously priced "30k mile package" that you must buy.
Old 02-14-06, 04:17 PM

Regarding the ODBII reader, I thought I read that the local automotive chains may even have that and check the code out on your car for you.
Old 02-14-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mapson
Regarding the ODBII reader, I thought I read that the local automotive chains may even have that and check the code out on your car for you.
Yes, Autozone will read the code for you, but it is up to you to google the code and figure out what is really wrong with your car.

There are cars that require more than the standard ODB II to troubleshoot, but these packages are also available for purchase and any good mechanic will have access to most of them. There are a handful that are dealer specific, but usually only with higher end cars.
Old 02-14-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Waste of money...

This is just the maintance light not the check engind light. The maintenance light would not generate any error codes because it is only ileage based. It comes on based on the mileage you drive.
Old 02-14-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I need the annoying light reset tho!! I think I will have the dealership rotate and align etc if need be but thats about it
Old 02-14-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i would follow the instructions in the manual as long as the warranty is in effect. I would also make sure the dealer did the work only specified in the manual as needed.

My first service the toyota dealer tried to get me to come back 3 months later. I said the manual says 6 months. He said since I'm in NYC, i get more wear. i made my next appointment at another toyota dealer and like it there a lot better.
Old 02-14-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

to reset the light you take key out of ignition, Press in the knob by the instrument cluster and hold it in, then insert the key and turn the key until all lights come on, hold the knob in for at least 15 seconds. Then start the car and the light should be off.

It should be in the manual how to reset the light... in case I am remebering something wrong. You can also ask the dealer to do it for you on your next oil change...
Old 02-14-06, 06:23 PM

So I need the annoying light reset tho!! I think I will have the dealership rotate and align etc if need be but thats about it
Your manual should have the directions to turn off the light.
Old 02-14-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
<snip>

then again I'm a lazy worrywart so what do I know.
You, sir, are a dealership service department's wet dream.

Acura keeps bugging me to come in for servicing. Here's my experience with them.

At the very first oil change the idiot service tech forgot to set the emergency brake. As I was talking to the the service guy, I watched my car slowly roll back toward a busy 5 lane road. Another tech sprinted from the garages, jumped into the driver's seat, and stopped the car. No one ever said anything to me.

My clutch broke at 62K. I called them to see if there were any known service issues with the clutch because clutches simply do not just break under normal usage. They said no. So I had my mechanic replace it to the tune of $800. While it is being replaced I found a TSB about the exact problem (manufacturing defect in the clutch spring assembly). I called the zone rep, had a sit down with the service manager, and politely forced them to pay for the repair.

As a concession, I did promise to take my car there for then next servicing. So at 75k I dropped it off and get an estimate (around $230). When I picked it up they tacked on an extra $30 for environmental disposal fees. WTF? Why didn't they include it in the price I was quoted? Frickin' thieves.

I take it back on Friday for some free servicing resulting from a California lawsuit. I wonder what will happen this time.
Old 02-15-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

definately have proof that you did the service (i.e. reciepts). for certain critical things like checking the timing belt, i'd suggest having the dealer do it. some dealers won't replace the engine (assuming you have an interference engine) if you don't get the tb inspection.

also, while the warranty is valid so long as you have proof that you did the related maintenance, other items, not part of the original warranty may not. for example, vw has an 8yr/unlimited mileage sludge warranty for the long 1.8t's, but the catch is that you have to get the oil changes done at the dealer, using a synthetic oil on their list.
Old 02-15-06, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
The dealer will fuck you everytime (that's for you immortal_zeus)
Thanks. I think.