Reload this Page >

Tax Question - Got Married this year, question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-14-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm doing my taxes and I have a question. I got married during 2005, so I know I have to file as married. My wife changed her name, but never got around to changing her Social Security card (doing it this week actually..it's been a hassle).

How to I have to file her NAME. Should I put her maiden name or my name, or should I do something like Maiden (New Name).
Old 02-14-06, 12:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll let someone else answer but when we got married, we did not change anything.,
Old 02-14-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I may just leave her maiden name since that is what is associated to her SSN
Old 02-14-06, 12:32 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would use her married name. That's her name, how she should sign the return, and the name that would be on the refund (if any) check.

I don't know if people even bother to change their names on SS cards.
Old 02-14-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
I would use her married name. That's her name, how she should sign the return, and the name that would be on the refund (if any) check.

I don't know if people even bother to change their names on SS cards.
Thanks...I'll do that then. She doesn't have a job, so no tax return for her. I get more back though if I file jointly. I think I can only write off her plates for her car...that was it.
Old 02-14-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think we really need to see some pics of the new wife before we can offer an informed opinion!
Old 02-14-06, 01:13 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Thanks...I'll do that then. She doesn't have a job, so no tax return for her. I get more back though if I file jointly. I think I can only write off her plates for her car...that was it.
By the way, this was just my opinion, not professional advice. You should probably call the IRS and ask them. (And given their record of providing accurate advice, then do the opposite of what they say. )
Old 02-14-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

File and Sign her "Legal Name" don't worry about the SS card.
Old 02-14-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

This may not apply but...if either of your parents claimed you on 2004 taxes as a dependent and plan to for 2005 because well you were a dependent until you got married then you can't take the standard decuctions for somone claimed as a dependent on another return.
Old 02-14-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured it out...legal name, which would be mine. Nope, parents cannto claim me...I've been out for a while.
Old 02-14-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I've been out for a while.
Does the wife know?
Old 02-14-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by djbrown
Does the wife know?
Old 02-14-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think the current administration worries much about how the tax forms are made out, as long as the check tucked in with the return is correctly made out.

Old 02-14-06, 03:19 PM

Looks like I'm the only one, but I would have to say that she should use the name on her SS card. That is her legal name. I work in financial aid and I know there are several different cross-checks that occur between the IRS, SSA, and (in the case of financial aid) the Dept. of Ed. I'm guessing the IRS does verify the name associated with the SSA when they process your return. Or, you can wait to file your taxes until she officially changes her name with the SSA, which it sounds like you may have tried. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-14-06, 03:20 PM
X
Administrator

I don't believe the Social Security Administration determines what your legal name is.
Old 02-14-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the official word from www.irs.gov

IRS TAX TIP 2006-16

Newlyweds and the recently divorced should ensure the name on their tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration. A mismatch could unexpectedly increase a tax bill or reduce the size of any refund.

For recently married taxpayers, the tax scenario begins when the bride says "I do." If she takes her husband's last name, but doesn't tell the SSA about the name change, a complication may result. If the couple files a joint tax return with her new name, the IRS computers will not be able to match the new name with the Social Security Number.
So, if you have already submitted the change to SS I would use the married name on the return. If you haven't submitted it to SS I would submit the return in the maiden name and hold off the change until a few weeks after you submit your return.

Last edited by beavismom; 02-14-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 03:31 PM
X
Administrator

Well, there you go. That's why I always warn about taking non-professional responses here as fact in situations that matter.

So what happens when a refund check comes to someone whose name has changed? Say they file separately and she's already changed her name at the bank or just opened a new account with her new name. Just hope the bank still takes checks to the old name?
Old 02-15-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, well...I filed under her married name. I know she is changing her SS card this week, so I'm sure it should go ok. Trying to change the name on the SS card has been a mess. They said you can do it by mail, and they screwed up TWICE putting her old name on the card. They have been really rude and it's been a mess. So, she is going in this week to change it in person.
Old 02-17-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, figured out my question.....TurboTax rejected my returns because of the names. Wife changed her name on SS card on Wednesday, so I will resubmit Monday or so. They said give it 2-3 days to do it.