Reload this Page >

Just got back from the Chicago Auto Show

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-11-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting trip. Parking was supposed to be $13 under Millenium Park, but it turns out that there are two garages, the one I was in (Grant garage?) charged $18. Why are there two garages with two different pricing schedules?

Millenium Park was nice, wish I had brought my skates (free ice skating). The Bean was nice but the bottom was blocked off as they were doing some work on it. And I thought the security was cool, riding around on Segways. And friendly, one took a couple pictures of my family for me (the only photos I was in, other than reflections in the Bean).

The auto show itself was nice, very big. I liked the Jeep demonstration (sort of an obtacle course) and I thought a Subaru was interesting - I think it was a concept, it was a hatchback with a shower and microwave in the back.

Anyway, the reason I went was that we are planning on buying a new vehicle next fall (an '07 model). We really want something with manual transmission and that can hold more than 5. Gas mileage is also of concern. The choices are narrowed down to:

Honda Odyssey
Volvo V70 (the station wagon, with 5-speed manual and third row of seats)
Volkeswagon Passat (another wagon, with 5-speed manual)
Mazda5 (a micro-van, with 5-speed manual)

The neat thing about the Volvo is that they have oversees delivery. If you choose that you get 8% off of MSRP, plus two free tickets to Sweden and a night in a hotel, you can then drive around Sweden (or Europoe), take the car back to the factory and they'll ship it to your local dealer as part of the price you paid.

The Mazda5 is a 6 seater, kind of a nice vehicle and cheap (~ $19,000) but I don't like that the seats can't be removed.

The Passat wagon is very nice and actually the car I like the best, but for some reason my wife doesn't like it and it only holds 5 (the other three hold 6 or 7).

The Honda Odyssey is what we'll probably go with. It's an automatic, but I'd be keeping whatever we buy for the long-term (10+ years) and I think the Honda will be the most reliable over time.

I really had wanted to stop by this bike store in Chicago called Village Cycles (www.villagecycle.com), but they close at 5 on Saturdays and I didn't have time to find it. Oh well, I'll stop by there the next time I'm in Chicago.
Old 02-11-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work for Volvo so I'm partial to Volvo. (Though I don't drive one....)

Old 02-11-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

We have an odyssey and it is one of the most comfortable, nicest driving, perfect rigs we have ever owned. It has amazing power and we have gotten as much as 26 mpg on the highway with 7 people in it.

I wanted to go to the Portland Auto show and sit in the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I may have to upgrade my Element. It is also an incredible car, and perfect for me, but my wife decided to get pregnant again, and that gives us a family of 5. The FJ has a total of 5 seats and the Element has 4
Old 02-12-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if you're gonna go with a Japanese vehicle, stick with Honda or Toyota.

Don't get the VW. VWs don't hold their value.

Old 02-12-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're so happy with the odyssey, why not get a second one?
Old 02-12-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You were right in front of my office when you were at Millennium Park.

I'm going to the auto show on Wednesday to meet with the JD Power chief pow-wow. He's giving a speech on what's driving the auto industry.
Old 02-12-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
If you're so happy with the odyssey, why not get a second one?
I have a buddy with two of the same rig, and it just seems weird. And the odyssey wouldn't suit my job. The element is perfect because I get a lot of dirty signs, muddy shoes, etc. in it, and it has no carpet, goes most anywhere, etc. The FJ Cruiser is almost identical but with more seats, more power, and less offensive looks.
Old 02-12-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
You were right in front of my office when you were at Millennium Park...
I had remembered that your office was in the area (from a discussion of the Taste of Chicago a few years ago), you certainly have a nicer view than I have from my office.

And when you find out whatís driving the auto industry (pardon the pun), let us know. Iím curious. Iím thinking gas mileage (thus the push to hybrids and small cars), but thatís just a guess.
Originally Posted by immortal_zeus
I work for Volvo so I'm partial to Volvo. (Though I don't drive one....)

Approximately how many V70s are sold each year in the US? Just wondering, if I need used parts, if I would be able to find one in a junkyard. I think theyíve had this style for 6 or 7 years though.

Originally Posted by kvrdave
We have an odysseyÖ

I wanted to go to the Portland Auto show and sit in the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I may have to upgrade my Element...
For some reason I think Iíll end up with an Odyssey. And I also wanted to see the FJ Cruiser, but completely forgot about it when I was at the auto show so I didnít see it.
Old 02-12-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get any pictures of the Dodge Challenger?
Old 02-12-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I went to the Philly Auto Show last week. Pretty cool. I was short on time so I didn't take (m)any pics.
Old 02-12-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
Approximately how many V70s are sold each year in the US? Just wondering, if I need used parts, if I would be able to find one in a junkyard. I think theyíve had this style for 6 or 7 years though.
I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm sure you'd be able to find parts, though. The current V70 bodystyle has been out since 2001...it's due for a facelift.