Reload this Page >

I cant believe how easy it is to get Narcotics

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-11-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its come to my attention a somewhat old friend/co-worker may have a problem with narcotics. When he first looked me up I was dumb enough to give my Vicodin to him that I never touched from a past surgery. Its come to my attention now since he has moved into the building and I am learning more about him that he has also asked other disabled or elderly people here if they have any left over pain meds to help him deal with his Crohns Disease . He also admits going to dozens of clinics and hospitals getting a 2 week supply of percocet, paying cash at a pharmacy and repeating this process for over two years now.

He claims to take 5 a day and does not seem loopy or out of it, yet. I am amazed in this computer age that he can get away with this. I guess I should mind my own business but this makes me so nervous and reminds me of mother with her denial of alcoholism, her rampage of the family for over twenty years before we just had to let her go. I keep waking up at night thinking I should help him in some way and not let him go down that road my mother did.

I guess I still have not completely learned its not my fault if people around me do this to themselves. Its a shame as he was half way through nursing school, seemed to be dealing with the Crohns just fine without pain killers for 5 years before this and I've never taken them for my MS and such but I guess each person is different. His arguement is it helps with the stoma pain and slows digestion for him and that he is still quite coherent. Mine is then why the shadiness and not one doctor that realizes this unless there is a reason like dependency and such.
Old 02-11-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shame on MDs writing these scripts.
Old 02-11-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madara
When he first looked me up I was dumb enough to give my Vicodin to him that I never touched from a past surgery.
Seems pretty easy to get them....
Old 02-11-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brain Stew

You mean I have to ask for them? Too much trouble.
Old 02-11-06, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dr. House M.D. pops Vicodin like they are candy on his show. Can't be all bad, right?
Old 02-11-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just walk down one of our downtown Stockton streets and you'll be offered more than you can imagine.

= J
Old 02-11-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never understood what all the fuss is about. The last time I was given Vicodin, they did nothing for me, I threw them away.
Old 02-11-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 02-11-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Yeah he seemed in alot pain or was giving a good performance but unless your uber popular you'd run out of friends to get a decent supply.

Well since most are cracking jokes I going assume the consensus is no big deal and to mind my own business. Doesn't sound like he is going to go awol and start stealing or something to get a fix. I just thought was dependancy and body changes with being on them so long and other nasty effects.

Last edited by madara; 02-11-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I've had Crohn's Disease for 24 years and I've never needed pain medication to deal with it. Sulfasalazine and Cipro are all I take. Sure, people are different, but this seems quite a stretch to me.
Old 02-11-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madara
Yeah he seemed in alot pain or was giving a good performance but unless your uber popular you'd run out of friends to get a decent supply.

Well since most are cracking jokes I going assume the consensus is no big deal and to mind my own business. Doesn't sound like he is going to go awol and start stealing or something to get a fix. I just thought was dependancy and body changes with being on them so long and other nasty effects.
Addiction can fuck up his life and abuse of the meds can fuck him up physically, too.

That said -- what are you going to do? Short of having an intervention I don't see a lot of options.
Old 02-11-06, 09:49 PM

Vicodin is for pussies. Tell him to get some Ocycontin, Fentanyl, or just cop some heroin. That'll make him right as rain!

Always glad to help!
Old 02-11-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adiras
Vicodin is for pussies. Tell him to get some Ocycontin, Fentanyl, or just cop some heroin. That'll make him right as rain!

Always glad to help!
When did joltaddict get a second account?
Old 02-12-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
I've had Crohn's Disease for 24 years and I've never needed pain medication to deal with it. Sulfasalazine and Cipro are all I take. Sure, people are different, but this seems quite a stretch to me.

My aunt has this as well and she has never taken any narcotics for it.
Old 02-12-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

crohn's can be a pretty big pain in the ass
Old 02-12-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think it's a big deal, talk to him about it. Other than that, trying to get him busted for having them without a script, or contact all of the clinics giving him the scripts he does have, what can you do?

Kick him in the nuts. That always stops me long enough to evaluate what got me into that situation.
Old 02-12-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it would be good to express your concerns to him. He will probably deny having a problem, have some excuses, etc. You can then tell him something along the lines of "well, I worry, because I like you", and leave it at that.

The problem is that no matter what anyone else says, an addict won't get any better until they are ready to do something themselves. That something may be to check into rehab, to try to quit on their own, or to ask friends for help. By telling him about your worry, without being judgemental about it, you are letting him know that you are a friend he can turn to for help.

That's really all you can do.

And, don't give him any more narcotics.
Old 02-12-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because he likes to eat pills once in a while doesn't make him an addict. Mind your own business.
Old 02-12-06, 01:07 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Some people have fairly severe Crohn's disease but there are new biologic medications that work well for Crohn's disease. Narcotics aren't the answer for it.