OTHER
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reccomondation on a new Camcorder?

Old 02-10-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reccomondation on a new Camcorder?

I need some opinios on a new camcorder....

I have a DIGITAL 8 camcorder that is going on the fritz. I hate to buy anything that is not a digital 8 because I have so many tapes. So one of the things that I have been doing before the camera really craps out is transferring all of my tapes to my harddrive and burning the raw video on DVD's. This way I can edit it later and not worry about trying to get the data off of the tapes. Should I buy another digital 8 camcorder? The other reason I hate to buy another DIGITAL 8 is because I want a camera that has higher resolution and you can not get that with a DIGITAL 8. So what do you guys think of my choices? What do you think of the DVD camcorders? I don't like them because it is not a standard DVD-r.

Here are the 3 that I am looking at.

SONY DCR-TRV480
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

SONY DCR-HC46
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

CANON ELURA80
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/18911.html

I like the canon.... I also like the fact that is has a 1 year parts and labor warranty

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 02-11-06 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-11-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a friend of mine got this panasonic:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

it's a pretty good camcorder and he really like it. I wouldn't buy a dvd-ram camcorder because the media is expensive and the quality of the pictures are not that great. I would recommend getting a mini dv camcorder. Canon camcorder is good, but i don't know if canon fix the errors 100 or something similar from the older generation camcorder. Google canon camcorder errors and see what you find.
Old 02-13-06, 08:46 AM

Any other recomendations?
Old 02-13-06, 09:56 AM

I need to buy a camcorder also. I don't want anything tape-based. Are there any good DVD ones, or are there camcorders that record to a memory card or something like that?

I have never owned a camcorder and I have putting off buying one because I have no idea what to get.
Old 02-13-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know JVC has some out now with a built-in hard drive but I saw a few reviews that weren't too pleased. Not sure if it was a lower model though.

We have a Hi8 Canon that was top of the line 10 years ago and cost about $1200 out of NY. It had the flexizone AE/AF and has done a pretty good job. Lately it's developing some problems no doubt due to the kids getting at it and dropping it. I think a comparable model is now around $200.

I noticed it nows zooms out slow but still zooms the normal speed in. Occasionally it makes a clicking noise and gets jerky while taping.

I still have about ten 120 min. tapes to use and then I'll probably get something new. That could be a year or two.

Carry on with the ideas.

I know there's a new widescreen Hi-def Sony that is very sweet but I think it's around $2K.
Old 02-13-06, 10:26 AM

I don't like the DVD ones because the media is expensive. Its not your normal DVD-r media. The harddrives are nice but your SOL if your harddrive fills up. You always have to unload your video. I would get the DVD before the hardrive. There is nothing wrong with the tape...
Old 02-13-06, 10:28 AM

By the way. I am now leaning toward the ELURA 100. The only problem is its not out yet. The SONY HC46 is turning me off more and more because I now learned that it doesn't have a AtoD converter built in.
Old 02-13-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With what is out right now, I would still stick to the miniDV format. If you want the final product on a DVD, you can burn one after transferring the video to your hard drive and editing it. (the discs that camcorders use are expensive and not normal DVDs anyway)
Old 02-13-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm buying a new camcorder TODAY since my Canon went out and I have been researching it tirelessly the past week.

I am going with the Panasonic GS150 as it looks like the best camera by far in my price range.

If I had a bigger budget I would get the GS250 (optical stabilization ), and if I had an even bigger budget, I would get the Canon GL2.

I'm about done with Sony after bad experiences, though I bought a sony digital camera last year. My lower-end Canon camcorder was nothing special and I would only go with Canon now for their higher-end models. That's not a dog on Canon though... it was my fault for going low-end to begin with.

But in my current budget (up to $750) I can't find anything that comes close to the 3 chip Panasonic GS150. If you want, I'll let you know what I think after buying it later today.

If you can wait, the upcoming line of Panasonic's will be even better. I just need mine this week. Do a little research. Panasonic's progress on the camcorder market is striking.
Old 02-13-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
With what is out right now, I would still stick to the miniDV format. If you want the final product on a DVD, you can burn one after transferring the video to your hard drive and editing it. (the discs that camcorders use are expensive and not normal DVDs anyway)
How do you transfer from a tape to your hard drive?

I am just so leery of spending hundreds of dollars on anything that is tape-based. I don't even own a VCR.
Old 02-13-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would lean towards one of the canons that you mentioned. I have a sony digital 8 myself that is about 8 years old. I am waiting for it to die so I have a reason to upgrade So far it just keeps on kicking. I will most likely buy a canon when it goes.

Use a warranty doubling credit card when you purchase to get a second year.
Old 02-13-06, 02:09 PM

The tapes don't play in a VCR. You have to download the video file through your firewire port, IEEE1394. From your camcorder to your PC. This will capture the video to your harddrive. The file wil be in a .AVI format. 60minutes of tape is about 13GIG. At that point you can do your editing and create a MPEG2(4?) format. Then you can burn it to a DVD on your PC.

4KRG, what DIGITAL 8 camera do you have? I have the TRV310. Its been acting funny when I play a tape back. I have to shake it or hit it to get ti to play smooth.
Old 02-13-06, 02:13 PM

4KRG, are you concerned about never being able to play back your DIGITAL 8 tapes? I just wish they made more DIGITAL 8 camcorders. They are really phazing out. I want one with better optics. I have been backing up all of my DIGITAL 8 tapes to DVD's so I will always have the raw footage. 1 - 60minute tape is using about 3 DVD's(13GIG).
Old 02-13-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We use a Sony 8mm VCR to play our tapes out of camera.
Old 02-13-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't remember the model number. It is the first one where Sony 'fixed' the nightshot vision so that it could no longer see through clothing (in the right conditions, it was not x-ray vision). It is old as hell.

I don't worry about being able to play the tapes as I convert everything to DVD (and burn it to Taiyo Yuden DVD +R's) shortly after being shot.

I don't care about raw footage, DVD format is good enough for my eyes. I am shooting home movies of the kids birthday parties and crap like that. I am not trying to make proffesional movies or film festival level stuff

I am concerned a little bit about the DVD's going bad over time, but so far so good. I am seriously considerind picking up a couple of large capacity IDE drives and using those for backup of all the DVD +R's.
Old 02-13-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the wife a Panasonic GS120 before she had the baby a couple of summers ago. She seems to really enjoy using it.

Here's a great website w/ a wealth of information that I highly recommend:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
Old 02-13-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are that worried, buy a spare off eday for $150

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Handycam-Di...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-13-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B.A.
Here's a great website w/ a wealth of information that I highly recommend:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
Yup.

That's one of the sites I came across before deciding on the Panasonic GS-150. I wish I could wait for the 180 that will come out this year, but oh well.
Old 02-13-06, 05:24 PM

ummm that camera is listed as broken... and for $150.00 I might as well buy a brand new one for $300.00.
Old 02-13-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In that case I award 4KRG this:

Old 02-13-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even read the auction, but thanks for the award

My point is that you can find a used one cheap if you are deeply concerned about being able to play back and your current one fails. Only use it for playback and it should last a while

Sorry for trying to help