Reload this Page >

Another ebay rant thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Another ebay rant thread

Old 02-10-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ebay rant thread

I sell a few items on ebay every now and then. I usually go through periods of high activity then nothing for a few months. Right now I'm in the high period - trying to get some funds ready for a move. Every time I sell on ebay I get at least one email from someone asking "how much to end it now?" If I wanted to end it now I would have put a buy-it-now price on it now wouldn't I? What do you say to these people? Most of the time I don't respond but I hate doing that cause I feel since they did send me a question I should answer it. However, most of answers in my head or usually short and rude.
How do others handle emails like this?
Thanks.
Old 02-10-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't bother to respond. If I was inclined to respond I would probably ask if they knew what an auction was.
Old 02-10-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"I just want to let it run til the end of the auction. Hope you bid and win! Good Luck."

Copy and paste. Remember, your selling, so be nice...
Old 02-10-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote them a price much higher than you would normally expect to get. If they still want to buy, it's a bonus. (or they will think it's much too high, and still try to bid to get it for less)
Old 02-10-06, 12:37 PM

Put a notice in your auction listing that you won't accept "end it now" offers...of course most people don't read the entire listing anyway.
Old 02-10-06, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
"I just want to let it run til the end of the auction. Hope you bid and win! Good Luck."

Same here.

Also, click on the option to have that question/answer posted under your auction to hopefully avoid similar questions for that particular auction.
Old 02-10-06, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge

Thanks Chris. I was having a hard time thinking of something nice to say
Old 02-10-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
I sell a few items on ebay every now and then. I usually go through periods of high activity then nothing for a few months. Right now I'm in the high period - trying to get some funds ready for a move. Every time I sell on ebay I get at least one email from someone asking "how much to end it now?" If I wanted to end it now I would have put a buy-it-now price on it now wouldn't I? What do you say to these people? Most of the time I don't respond but I hate doing that cause I feel since they did send me a question I should answer it. However, most of answers in my head or usually short and rude.
How do others handle emails like this?
Thanks.
I get offers like that every now and then. If the buyer has good feedback, I'll end it early and complete outside of ebay. You save a little in fees and more if you don't use paypal.

I will never get over the fact that Paypal and Ebay are the same fucking company.

It always pisses me off when I get charged a listing fee, final value fee and paypal fee just to complete a transaction.

I've also always wondered if Paypal hits Ebay (just like us) when I pay my seller fees via instant transfer
Old 02-10-06, 01:33 PM

I've answered that question both ways, and I've asked it. The worst they expect is a no, so they have nothing to lose. I've actually offered someone $45 for something once, and they declined. I bid on it, and it ended at $17. Idiot.
Old 02-10-06, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trout
Put a notice in your auction listing that you won't accept "end it now" offers...of course most people don't read the entire listing anyway.
Or just remind people that doing so is against eBay policy.
Old 02-10-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
Or just remind people that doing so is against eBay policy.
eBay Policy
Old 02-10-06, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
eBay Policy
As someone who has never sold anything on eBay, I feel that my opinions can speak for everyone.
Old 02-10-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trout
I get questions all the time from people who if they just read the auction, they wouldn't even need to ask.

I have begun putting "PLEASE FULLY READ THE DESCRIPTION before e-mailing, I won't answer questions that are answered in the auction description".

I got a real nasty e-mail from a buyer who I was ignoring slamming me. I called him lazy and stupid (essentially). He ended up winning and paying promptly, but I was worried about a neg. Just got a "good product, shipped fast". Returned + and that was that.
Old 02-10-06, 08:12 PM

Everytime I get one of these it goes like this, "Hey dude I'll give you $45 shipped to end the auction and sell to me right now." It never fails that the price at the time of this message is more than what I'm being offered. I sometimes wonder if ebay is sending this out as a form of intrapment.

I always read about how ebay doesn't enforce their rules, but evertime I list something that they deem questionable, they cancel my auctions. Just last week they cancelled two of my auctions because my listing said " I accept cash, check, or money order" Apparently it is against their rules to accept cash. After over seven years selling on there, I've never had anyone actually send cash.