Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Losing Weight

Old 02-09-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing Weight

Hey all, I thought I'd share a little experience I'm having right now and encourage others to do the same.

All thru middle school and high school , I was "the fat kid". I was about 300 lbs in 12th grade, and got worse as the years went on. I was around 340 lbs when I was 23 and decided it needed to stop.

First thing I did, was give up the soda. Drinking a 12 pack of Pepsi per day, is not going to be good for ANYONE, much less someone who is already fat. I began rapidbly losing weight, down to about 315 in a few months. All the sugars and empty calories were gone, food stayed the same, so it made sense.

I kind of plateaued at 315 pounds for a long time. I met a great girl, who didn't care that I was fat. She's not "in shape" herself, and I didn't care either.

Fast forward to 4 months ago. I finally got sick of having to buy khakis with stretch waists, and having all my T Shirts looking like they were stetched out and dirty looking.

I looked at what I was eating...

Average Day :

Before work : Bagel/Toast on the way out the door
First break : 2 doughnuts and a coffee
Lunch :Burger Fries or Chicken/Fries
Dinner :Whatever I could find around the house, or fast food ont he way home.

I decided to give up the coffee/diet soda and caffeine in general. I went with only water. Lost maybe 2 lbs over that period.

2 months ago, I had chest pains. Severe chest pains. All over my chest, shoulders, etc. I checked myself into the hospital, they monitored me for a day, and then gave me the diagnosis : Severely strained ribcage muscles. Which were causing me to panic, which led to the increased heart rate they saw when they checked me in. Same for the increased Blood Pressure.

I'd finally had enough, that chest pain scare was enough. Time to get serious about this.

I changed my diet :

New Breakfast on the way to work : Granola Bar
first break : 1 bottle of water, 2 pieces of fruis usually combo of apple/banana/orange/plum/nectarine. Sometimes 3 pieces.

New Lunch : Big Salad . No creamy dressing. Balsamic Rice Vinegar Blend. 24 servings, 10 calories per serving. Iv'e had over 30 salads already and still have some left in the bottle.

New Dinner : Whatever, just not fast food.

Not being satisfied, I knew I also needed to exercise. I wnated to join a gym, as my girlfriend had. But I work at 4AM to 2PM, 5 days a week , sometimes 6, and I'm usually in bed by 730 or 8. Where was I going to have time to do it all? I wasn't. Sometimes I work 12 hours, or 13 hours, and the gym was too expeneisve for what amounted to a small amount of actual time there.

Then I remembered a news story about a local school buying DDR machines for all the gym classes.

I bought a cheap pad and a game, and went to town. I do about 30 minutes a night.

Went back to the doctor about a 2 weeks ago, to get myself checked out, and get some more muscle relaxers for my ribs, and I weighed in at 294. I weighed myself today, its 287.

I'm losing weight. Finally. I'm doing it, and it feels great.
Old 02-09-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great news, A., keep it up.

BTW, where the fuck have you been?
Old 02-09-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for you!!!! I'm very happy with you. Keep it up.
Old 02-09-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys.

Bushy : We can take this to AIM or email, but I'd prefer to keep that situation private.
Old 02-09-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotcha, will do.
Old 02-09-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have long since plateaued at 255 down from 345. I lost the weight with a low-carb diet and virtually no exercise. I feel like I could drop again pretty easily if I started exercising regularly. One of these days I'll get around to it. The total time it took to lose the 90 pounds was about a year.

Chronic acid reflux that I used to have (4 Zantac a day habit) is GONE.
Shirt size went from 3XT to 1XT.
Waist went from 50 to 40.
Shoe size went from 15 to...15.

I could never give up caffeine.
Old 02-09-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thunderball, congrats man !!!! keep up the great work, and good luck on your new lifestyle - your hard work will pay dividends for years to come.
Old 02-09-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations! I've kept my New Year's resolution to exercise more and I've lost 4 pounds so far. If a lazy-ass like me can do it, you sure can too!
Old 02-09-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Congrats, and I share the same sentiment as Bushy.... we miss you.
Old 02-09-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started last year in January and have lost 63 lbs... It should have been more but I am just now back under my pre holiday weight
Old 02-09-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep it up, T-ball! I'm sure the hardest part is getting started and you've done that.
Old 02-09-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see any okra in the new meal plan

congrats on the progress, keep up the good work.
dave
Old 02-09-06, 10:54 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

good job fatty. keep it up
Old 02-09-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great job man. Keep it up.
Old 02-09-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
T-ball, congrats man, that's awesome. Keep it up, and you will feel better and better.

And I concur with Bushy and Abs, we miss you.

One great diet tip I have found for dinner is shrimp cocktail. Big bags of frozen, peeled cooked shrimp are pretty cheap. Get some cocktail sauce, and make that part of your dinner (I would do that plus some veggies). Shrimp is very low in calories and high in protein. But it is tasty and feels decadent, not diet.
Old 02-09-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
T-ball, congrats man, that's awesome. Keep it up, and you will feel better and better.

One great diet tip I have found for dinner is shrimp cocktail. Big bags of frozen, peeled cooked shrimp are pretty cheap. Get some cocktail sauce, and make that part of your dinner (I would do that plus some veggies). Shrimp is very low in calories and high in protein. But it is tasty and feels decadent, not diet.
But don't eat too much shrimp, otherwise you could get gout.
Old 02-10-06, 12:17 AM

Congrats, dude! Eating healthy and maintaining an exercise regimen are pretty easy to do once you get into the swing of things. The good part is that you are seeing progress, and that will be a large part of your motivation.
Old 02-10-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome, keep it up!
Old 02-10-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan

what do you do with the shrimp? just thaw them in a portion size at a time under cold water? they never seem to taste quite right to me. any recommendations? I LOVE shrimp.....would gladly eat it all the time with some veggies for dinner.
Old 02-10-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh, and congrats tball....although i do hope the liquor cabinet is intact
Old 02-10-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Thanks guys.

Bushy : We can take this to AIM or email, but I'd prefer to keep that situation private.
Nobody likes to be left out.

Congrats, anyway.
Old 02-10-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats !!!! Having lost a quite a bit of weight myself, I know how hard it can be but satisfying as well. Just keep with it, sometimes it seems that you will never get to where you want to be, but it will happen. Its funny, because I always thought the losing was the hard part. But I find that now, maintaining is much harder because there isnt a set goal to work towards. Before, I always had a goal I was working on where now its kind of like, I have to eat enough not to lose, but not too much so that I gain and that balance can be hard, especially with the amount of working out. Just keep up the good work and any tips I can give, Ill be more than willing, but you seem to be doing a great job on your own.
Old 02-10-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great job, my man!

I hit 230 about eighteen months ago and decided enough is enough. I eat about 2/3 what I used to, cut out fat, started running and lifting. I hit 187 last week. I feel better than I have in years and my hypoglycemia is under control for the first time in a while.

IMO, diets are worthless, a lifestyle change is the only way to keep weight off for the long term. That was the hard part for me: realizing that it's a daily struggle. You have to change your behavior and do it every damn day or the weight will come back. I feel like an alcoholic... one day at a time.
Old 02-10-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Nobody likes to be left out.

Congrats, anyway.

Strong agreement on both counts.

(Bushy-please send me an update. )

Gotta say:

No anal leakage? No sale.

Good luck with keeping it up. I tend to get serious for awhile and then something will get me off the kick. When I went to NO for Hurricane Katrina was at 190 but gained 10 pounds in ten days. Since then I've been off the total health wagon and gained a few more.

Luckily my top weight always seems to be 210 and my low is around 190 but it's still a 20 pound swing. I'm 6'4" so it doesn't look too obvious.

I've been getting back into the exercise the last few weeks and need to get off the girl scout cookies (only a few left). I'm at 206 right now.

It's all about me not you Tball.

J/k keep it up!

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 02-10-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-10-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
J/k keep it up!
No, no, keep it down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.