Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever worked with anyone who smelled bad ?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-09-06, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a woman at my job who has extremely bad body odor, somebody said something to our supervisor and they just moved her away from where my friend was working, but didn't say anything too her. I also have someone in my family who works in an office and one of their secretary's smells and when eveybody complained to the office manager she called the woman aside and asked her if she had any bad food in her desk because people had been complaining about a foul smell coming from her cubicle. I'm just curious has anybody here ever worked with anyone who smells on a daily basis and what did you do to deal with it.
Old 02-09-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not just drop a note on her desk when she is not around? Have it be from an anonymous author basically stating that she needs to smell better.
Old 02-09-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let your HR department know. Thats why they exist...to take care of this kind of shit.
Old 02-09-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by happycamper
Let your HR department know. Thats why they exist...to take care of this kind of shit.
Good answer. They don't enjoy that shit, but they are obligated (and supposedly trained) to deal with such issues.
Old 02-09-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife used to work someplace where the office manager smelled like poo. The story had a happy ending, though; the boss went insane and came into work one day and announced that he was closing the place down.
Old 02-09-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a grad student, so yes. The labs were reeked of curry.
Old 02-09-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I worked with a guy who smelled like cat piss. I mean real rank stuff. He said he was trying to get rid of his wife's cats but people (I don't know who) were giving him shit about it. I feel sorry for the guy. I mean no one should have to smell like cat piss.
Old 02-09-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't but most of my co-workers have.
Old 02-09-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, and its horrible.
Old 02-09-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of over 100 employees, I'd say we have a few offenders at work:
- Media assistant buyer, female, 24: reeks of cheap perfume that smells like a lollipop gone wild
- Director of planning, female, 36: we don't know if her fragrance turns bad on her skin or if she's just using an evil brand of hair spray but she smells like death on a stick
- Intern, male, 21: general b.o. + he eats oniony burgers all the time

There's also this guy in the IT department. His office always smells like bacon. Except no bacon is to be found when we go looking for some.
Old 02-09-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Telling an employee they smell bad is worse than firing them.
Old 02-09-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, but I can't tell. I've got a pretty poor sense of smell.

The current one is a French engineer. Apparently, someone talked to him and he changes his clothes more than once a week. And baths aren't just for Saturday night dates anymore. People used to come into our office twenty minutes after he left and say, "Was Dennis in here?" He's still stinky, but no longer makes people leave the room.
Old 02-09-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We even have a speach that the supervisor has to give to anyone who smells. I've heard it, when joking with supervisors about our job....
Old 02-09-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to have a big fat lady with horrible breath for a manager. The fact that she was a close talker is what made it so bad. You pull away, she pushes forward.
Old 02-10-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SMELLYLADY
Man I have this coworker. He's got big fat sweaty man tits. Disgusting. Anyone ever been in a situation like that?
Old 02-10-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tdirgins
Telling an employee they smell bad is worse than firing them.
It may be harder for the manager, but I'd imagine that the employee would rather they spend the extra time putting on deodorant than looking for a new job.
Old 02-10-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I used to have a big fat lady with horrible breath for a manager. The fact that she was a close talker is what made it so bad. You pull away, she pushes forward.

I have one of these at work! She gets within 8 inches of your face and starts talking in this stinky whisper. Her rancid breath eeks out and almost makes you pass out from the retched rotten odor....

No one wants to work near her...
Old 02-10-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to work with a guy in his 50s that thought himself a ladies man and would just pour on the cheap cologne. He'd get to work and I'd know, which is saying something considering my office is about 30 feet from the entrance. He also used to print out his fairly sexual match.com flirtations on the company printer and sometimes would miss a couple. Nothing like reading a smelly coworker's email telling someone he met online that he wants to pour chocolate all over her and lick it off.

There also used to be a guy at one of our clients that would take an awful dump every time he came to our office. After a couple times, we started keeping track and literally every time he came here he'd leave the men's room smelling like he'd just shat cheese-filled roadkill that had been stuffed up his ass for the past week. It was so bad it would seep out of the restroom and taint the air of surrounding offices. Thankfully he was also somewhat crazy and got himself fired.
Old 02-10-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I used to have a big fat lady with horrible breasts for a manager. The fact that she was a close talker is what made it so bad. You pull away, she pushes forward.
Fixed.
Old 02-10-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once there was this hot girl that always smelled like fish...... at our christmas party.... we found out why
Old 02-10-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a dream once that I was eating chocolate pudding.....
Old 02-10-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, lots of them. The funniest was the group of Russian engineers that we imported for a couple of years. They didn't use deordorant

One of the guys that had an office just outside the large room where the 20 or so Russians were working went walmart on his lunch break one hot July day and bought like 50 cans of deordorant (all different kinds and brands, etc, etc). He brought the box into the room and set it on a table near the middle, grabbed the one guy that could translate, got everyone's attention and told the translator to tell them all that in the US it was offensive for others to smell your BO and that our custom was to shower everyday and put on the deodorant under your arms (he physically demostrated).

It was funny as hell and it worked
Old 02-10-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There were 4 office coordinators and the newest gal is heavy set and smelled awful. The other girls tried to hint about soaps and perfumes and what not. Nothing worked. She was a nice person and everything, but they'd tell me stories of going out to lunch with her and well.. it wasn't too pleasant.

I have a sick, twisted, mean spirited sense of humor.. I had nicknamed her 5. I'd hold my hand to my forehead so my palm faced out with my fingers spread.. 5! So when the other coordinators walked by I'd hold that up and they knew who was around. Finally, one of the gals came up and asked why I called her 5. I stated, "Well, to talk to her, you have to stand 5 feet away." It's been the running joke ever since, but now she smells decent.
Old 02-10-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I have, and it's a tough situation because telling somebody they smell is majorly humiliating. I would talk to your HR department and let them handle it.

I used to be a supervisor in a sales department where one of the clerks routinely left her dentures out (she was pretty poor, and I think it was a cheap set that didn't fit well). Besides distorting her telephone voice, it grossed out everyone around her. Since I wasn't allowed to deal with it myself according to MY supervisor, I had to route it through HR, and they did nothing about it. Ugh.
Old 02-10-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My orthodontist had nasty breath.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.