Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So I want to jump on the Guitar playing bandwagon... ;)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-09-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I've wanted to learn to play guitar for awhile now and never made/had the time. I have time now, and was loaning a guitar from a friend but need to give it back.
So in looking for a guitar (acoustic) what brands to consider/stay away from?
Also, would it be alot better to seek lessons or try from some computer program or book?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kurt
Old 02-09-06, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a Yamaha or a Takamine. They have good quality control extending down to their less expensive models.

Lessons. There is no substitute. Let your teacher know your goals straightaway.
Old 02-09-06, 02:15 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No airbands

Old 02-09-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume going to an actual music store to purchase is better than the net/ebay for quality reasons?
Old 02-09-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agree with Yamaha and Takamine. I have a Fender acoustic I love as well. Avoid off brands, as ya get what ya pay for. Getting a good sound and feel will help ya play more often, thus (hopefully) getting better.
Old 02-09-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wendersfan

Let your teacher know your goals straightaway.
We all know there's only one goal at work here.

das
Old 02-09-06, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by xfilekr
I assume going to an actual music store to purchase is better than the net/ebay for quality reasons?
Yes. Particularly with acoustic models, the quality and sound can vary widely between guitars of the same brand and model. Remember that a guitar is made of wood, and is therefore an organic being. Just as siblings resemble one another but are not exact duplicates, neither are guitars.
Old 02-09-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes because you can actually hear how it sounds and get a vibe of how it feels in your hands. May I also recommend--if it's within your budget--that you get something with Mahogany back and sides. In my experience that kind of wood produces excellent sound.
Old 02-09-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only comment on this would be to "hold/play" any guitar before. Each feels different in different hands. I play bass and love the thin neck of the Fender Jazz, but many find it distracting. Etc.
Old 02-09-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guitars are soooooo '90s.

You should jump on the new Didgeridoo bandwagon.
Old 02-09-06, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
Only comment on this would be to "hold/play" any guitar before. Each feels different in different hands. I play bass and love the thin neck of the Fender Jazz, but many find it distracting. Etc.
I've played nothing but a Precision for 20+ years. The Fender Jazz is a great bass, but I've always hated playing one.

When you "audition" a guitar, it hepls to take along someone else, particularly if he/she is a guitar player. They can help you decide which guitars sound best and provide a sounding board (no pun intended) for your own impressions.

When I bought my last guitar I think I literally played every sub-$1200 acoustic in Columbus. I'm glad I took my time.
Old 02-09-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Learn the Banjo instead
Old 02-09-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
You should jump on the new Didgeridoo bandwagon.
Don't hate! I may not beat you down with my didgeridoo, but kvrdave will.
Old 02-09-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd recommend lessons as well. I think it would be beneficial for you to first purchase a nylon string classical guitar and start with classical lessons. I think being a competent classical player gives you invaluable technique and skills that will be beneficial no matter which road you go down in the future - be it jazz or metal. Or maybe you'll stick with classical!

Also keep in mind that learning how to play the guitar well (or any instrument) takes dedication and practice. This is something that a lot of people don't have the patience for. Remember that the world's best guitarists play all the time. Paco de Lucia for instance, essentially had no childhood, and would practice 8-10 hours a day.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 02-09-06 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.
Old 02-10-06, 04:22 AM

The best sound will come from solid top guitars. The tradeoff is that they are more fragile. Solid tops can change with the amount of humidity but the sound will improve with age. The cedar top art & lutherie I bought a few months ago already seems to sound better. If you are looking for something that will sound decent and take a beating try a laminated Takamine. If you are interested in a solid top I would look at the washburn, art & lutherie or seagull depending on your price range. The most important thing is to take your guitar and have it set-up properly by someone who knows what they are doing.

As for teaching yourself... it is possible. I did it. I also have learned several instruments in the past though. If this is your first instrument I would definitely suggest lessons. If you don't want to take lessons there are a lot of good resources out there. http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy.php is a good place to start.
Old 02-10-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hello. I've wanted to learn to play guitar for awhile now and never made/had the time. I have time now, and was loaning a guitar from a friend but need to give it back.
So in looking for a guitar (acoustic) what brands to consider/stay away from?
Also, would it be alot better to seek lessons or try from some computer program or book?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kurt
I'm teaching myself to play... I started back in Jan 05 and by Mar 05 was able to play a half-dozen songs. So keep in mind the source, as I give my advice.

Be careful of "expert" advice. They may know a lot, but they're coming from a different place than where you are at now.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you are going to stick with it, don't commit to spending $100's - $1000 for a guitar. Get a cheap but decent one. Once you've reached a certain level of skill and have seen that you're sticking with it, THEN go out and buy yourself a real nice one. Treat yourself. A reward for accomplishing a goal. And besides, while you are learning you'll have time to research makes, models, and prices.

I agree with a previous poster who recommended a nylon string classical. Costco sells a pretty nice Yamaha for $100... that's the one I have... looks great, sounds great (to my ear anyways)

Depending upon what you plan on playing, it is possible to teach yourself. I bought a few books, learned how to play individual notes and then learned (and still learning) to play chords.

I found that the key is to practice consistently. It doesn't matter if it is only 10 minutes a day. But doing it every day really helps. I found it far better than a 30 minute session every 3 or 4 days.

Buy a guitar stand and keep the guitar handy. You'll be more likely to play it if you can just pick it up. I used to keep mine in a gig back in the bedroom closet, and it was "a chore" to get it out to practice.

These are some of the things that helped me.
Old 02-10-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer

Be careful of "expert" advice. They may know a lot, but they're coming from a different place than where you are at now.
Yep. Especially because many are "Brand Snobs". Fender only! Gibson Only! Stay away from Yamaha! Stay away from Epiphone! (That Epiphone line is me me )
Old 02-10-06, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yep. Especially because many are "Brand Snobs". Fender only! Gibson Only! Stay away from Yamaha! Stay away from Epiphone! (That Epiphone line is me me )
I think most of us are mature enough to have grown out of this brand snobbery. I prefer Fenders, but that's because I grew up playing one, so I'm used to their style of neck. I have a cheap Les Paul copy that I use mostly for recording when I need that LP sound. It's a little too temperamental (i.e., cheap) to be a reliable live instrument. My next project is to mod a Tele with humbuckers to try to get that Gibosn sound with a guitar I can play more readily.
Old 02-10-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Unless you are absolutely sure that you are going to stick with it, don't commit to spending $100's - $1000 for a guitar. Get a cheap but decent one. Once you've reached a certain level of skill and have seen that you're sticking with it, THEN go out and buy yourself a real nice one. Treat yourself. A reward for accomplishing a goal. And besides, while you are learning you'll have time to research makes, models, and prices.

Buy a guitar stand and keep the guitar handy. You'll be more likely to play it if you can just pick it up. I used to keep mine in a gig back in the bedroom closet, and it was "a chore" to get it out to practice.
Old 02-10-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, Thanks for all the great advice guys! Very much appreciate it.
Old 02-10-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The way I mostly learned to play guitar is not on my own and not by lessons (those came later when I KNEW what I wanted to work on), but playing with other people - I don't necessarily mean a band, just other people with instruments to playing along with, or as the kids say, jam.
Old 02-10-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to learn to play guitar too, but I don't have the time, nor the guitar. Is there a guitar for dummies accelerated learning book?

Edit: Yes, there is. I should have known there are Dummies in everything.
Old 02-10-06, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
The way I mostly learned to play guitar is not on my own and not by lessons (those came later when I KNEW what I wanted to work on), but playing with other people - I don't necessarily mean a band, just other people with instruments to playing along with, or as the kids say, jam.
Speaking from experience, this a great way to learn a bunch of bad technique habits which will take years to correct.
Old 02-10-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Speaking from experience, this a great way to learn a bunch of bad technique habits which will take years to correct.
True, but this way you can also develop a unique style and distinctiveness that you may not have otherwise. Better to be sloppy and creative than to sound just like every other dive-bar guitarist out there.

But ultimately you should learn some music theory... and then ignore it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.