Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Undercover cat leads NYC sting operation!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-09-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(You can't make this stuff up!)

from NY Daily News

Perched like the cat that swallowed the canary, detective Fred is all puffed up at news conference with Deputy DA Carol Moran and DA Charles Hynes.
Meet undercover detective Fred - the purr-fect cop.
The 9-month-old street-savvy feline pretended to be in need of a neutering to trap a bogus house-calling veterinarian, Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said yesterday.
"This is the first undercover cat," said Hynes, announcing felony charges against Kingsborough College student Steven Vassell, 28. "I want to make it clear: We'll do it again."
Hynes' office set up the sting after dog owner Raymond Reid reported that Vassell bungled an operation on his Boston terrier, Burt. Reid, who said he heard about the phony vet through the grapevine, said Vassell checked out Burt in August.
Yesterday, as he cradled a healthy, panting Burt, Reid recalled how Vassell called him with bad news.
"I was devastated," Reid said. "He called me and told me he found a foreign object lodged in Burt's intestines. He told me he had to operate ... that Burt was going to die. I told him I was going to come over."
But Vassell decided to deliver Burt himself - with a bill for $985, Reid said.
"He drove up, and Burt jumped out of the car like there was nothing," he said. "There was a scar. His mouth was drenched with blood. He didn't leave any medication or anything."
Reid said he got Burt to a real vet, then called authorities.
That's when Hynes deputized Fred, a stray kitty with pneumonia rescued at 4 months old by city Animal Care and Control.
Secret cameras caught Vassell on a house call to an undercover agent who asked him to neuter Fred, authorities said. She handed him $135. Vassell was arrested as he left the apartment, Fred in hand.
"We saved [Fred's] life," said Joyce Clemmons, who heads a Brooklyn shelter. "Now he's giving back to other cats and dogs."

This will probably end up being a TV series .....
Old 02-09-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture of the cat: