Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Killing a Fisherman? It's so easy, even a caveman could do it.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-08-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/ixworld.html

Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island
By Peter Foster in New Delhi
(Filed: 08/02/2006)

One of the world's last Stone Age tribes has murdered two fishermen whose boat drifted on to a desert island in the Indian Ocean.

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.
XX
Sentinelese tribesmen prepare to fire arrows at the coastguard helicopter after the fishermen's murder

They are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

The two men killed, Sunder Raj, 48, and Pandit Tiwari, 52, were fishing illegally for mud crabs off North Sentinel Island, a speck of land in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands archipelago.

Fellow fishermen said they dropped anchor for the night on Jan 25 but fell into a deep sleep, probably helped by large amounts of alcohol.

During the night their anchor, a rock tied to a rope, failed to hold their open-topped boat against the currents and they drifted towards the island.
XX
Tribesmen clamber over the fishermen's beached boat

"As day broke, fellow fishermen say they tried to shout at the men and warn them they were in danger," said Samir Acharya, the head of the Society for Andaman and Nicobar Ecology, an environmental organisation.

"However they did not respond - they were probably drunk - and the boat drifted into the shallows where they were attacked and killed."

After the fishermen's families raised the alarm, the Indian coastguard tried to recover the bodies using a helicopter but was met by the customary hail of arrows.

Photographs shot from the helicopter show the near-naked tribesmen rushing to fire. But the downdraught from its rotors exposed the two fisherman buried in shallow graves and not roasted and eaten, as local rumour suggested.

Sentinel Island locator graphic

Mr Acharya said the erroneous belief in the tribe's cannibalism grew from the practice of another tribe, the Onge, who would cut up and burn their dead to avoid them returning as evil spirits.

"People saw the flesh cooking on the fire and thought they must be cannibals but this incident clearly contradicts that belief," he said.

Attempts to recover the bodies of the two men have been suspended, although the Andaman Islands police chief, Dharmendra Kumar, said an operation might be mounted later.

"Right now, there will be casualties on both sides," he said from Port Blair. "The tribesmen are out in large numbers. We shall let things cool down and once these tribals move to the island's other end we will sneak in and bring back the bodies."

Environmental groups urged the authorities to leave the bodies and respect the three-mile exclusion zone thrown around the island.

In the 1980s and early 1990s many Sentinelese were killed in skirmishes with armed salvage operators who visited the island after a shipwreck. Since then the tribesmen have remained virtually undisturbed.

DNA analysis of another tribe, the Jarawa, whose members made first contact with the outside world in 1997, suggest that the tribesmen migrated from Africa around 60,000 years ago.

However, the experience of the Jarawa since their emergence - sexual exploitation, alcoholism and a measles epidemic - has encouraged efforts to protect the Sentinelese from a similar fate.
I know there are still primitive tribes out there, but it still wild to read stories like this. Here we are crusing the World Wide Web while watching the Olympics in Italy on our Plasma TVs and eating a microwaved Hot Pocket and not even think anything of it, and these people probably still think the wheel is pretty hot stuff. I wonder what they think helicopters are?

And I guess the moral of the story for fishermen, is don't get drunk and pass out near the stone age island.
Old 02-08-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

ha! too drunk dudes fishing illegally, and their anchor didnt work?
sounds like the only question was how they were going to die
Old 02-08-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they don't find Riker's duck blind.
Old 02-08-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Right now, there will be casualties on both sides," he said from Port Blair. "The tribesmen are out in large numbers. We shall let things cool down and once these tribals move to the island's other end we will sneak in and bring back the bodies."
Police in India are even dumber than you'd expect. They announce their plans to sneak back in later on the internet, so now the tribesmen will know to stay where they are, or take the bodies with them. Seriously do people even think anymore?
Old 02-08-06, 02:05 PM
Banned

Get a load of when that story was filed. This hasn't even happened yet. Are there any otters in New Delhi? There's still time to warn those two guys!
Old 02-08-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the 8th day of the 2nd month of 2006 is the future?
Old 02-08-06, 02:46 PM
Banned

Oh. I thought it was written the way we write dates in Oakland and it was slated to occur in August. Alas, it is too late after all.

No more drunken crab fishing for those two.

Last edited by Kudama; 02-08-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:27 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

That tribe is going to be in for a rude awakening next year when they find the words "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST WINTER" written on the wall of their cave.
Old 02-08-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
That tribe is going to be in for a rude awakening next year when they find the words "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST WINTER" written on the wall of their cave.

10/10
Old 02-08-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.
Old 02-08-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is freakin' awesome. Score one for the cave men.
Old 02-08-06, 06:43 PM

Do they have a giant wall where they make hot female sacrifices to an unseen beast?
Old 02-08-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, they are just cavemen. Your world frightens and confuses them! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make them want to get out of their BMWs and run off into the hills, or wherever.
Old 02-08-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Image caption: Sentinelese tribesmen prepare to fire arrows at the coastguard helicopter after the fishermen's murder

"Haha, got your souls on film!"

Old 02-09-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I to understand that helicopters were fended off by a bunch of cavemen with bows and arrows? And here I've been stockpiling automatic weapons.
Old 02-09-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Am I to understand that helicopters were fended off by a bunch of cavemen with bows and arrows? And here I've been stockpiling automatic weapons.
Clearly you've never played any of the Civilization games or you would know this is commonplace.
Old 02-09-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I hope they don't find Riker's duck blind.
I warned Riker's duck that if he kept doing that...
Old 02-09-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
I warned Riker's duck that if he kept doing that...
That's so bad, it's actually funny!
Old 02-09-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Too bad the Hovitos don't know you like I do, Belloq."
"Yes, too bad. You could warn them. If only you spoke Hovito."
Old 02-09-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"The Andaman Sea, the Andaman Sea..."

John Lurie and Dennis Hopper filmed an episode of "Fishing with John" around the Andaman islands. They should have gone to this island for some footage.
Old 02-09-06, 10:40 AM

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.
This lost pre-Neolithic tribe must be severely f**king inbred if there is less than five hundred people who had no real contact with the outside world in all of recorded history.
Old 02-09-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
This lost pre-Neolithic tribe must be severely f**king inbred if there is less than five hundred people who had no real contact with the outside world in all of recorded history.

Well thier lifes spans are probably around 35 or 40 so it's possible that they die out before there can be a large population. Either that or their women are just awful lays.
Old 02-09-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Interesting article about this tribe:
http://www.andaman.org/book/reprints...-goodheart.htm
Old 02-09-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1st question: what the fuck are these tribesmen think when they see a helicopter, power boat, or other anachronism

2nd question: can't we gas the island and inventory them while they sleep?

3rd question: while acting out question 2, couldn't we leave behind a television or some other gift guaranteed to screw them up?
Old 02-09-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

read an article about them back during the tsunami. they don't know (or didn't when they were found) how to make fire. they'd save embers in hollowed out tree trunks after lightning strikes caused fires...how weird

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.